Limp Mode/Depoluution System Faulty - HELP!!!! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-03-13, 10:15 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Limp Mode/Depoluution System Faulty - HELP!!!!

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible but it has been a failry lengthy process so far to date.

Bought a used 308 1.6 THP Sport 5 dr 2008 petrol in April 2012 with 20,000 miles on the clock.

About a month after having the car, i noticed that there was a problem with the turbo, the car basically was really sluggish and slow to pick up speed through the gears and into some kind of limp mode. No warning lights appeared on the dash. I took the car back to the garage where i bought it (independant used car dealer) and told them the problems i was having & they took it in and repaired it for me. They told me that something was stuck open on the turbo but had now been rectified.

Another couple of momths passed, and now with the car outside of the initial 3 month warranty peiod that I had from the garage, the same problem occurred. About a week or so after the issue this time I had the error message "DEPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY" appear on the dash every time I started the car and the engine management light came on & stayed on.

I took the car to my local mechanic who plugged the car in and said that there was an endless amount of faults on the ECU and wouldnt know where to start. So he reset all the faults and as soon as the problem occurred again advised me to bring it back and he would have another look. I drove the car away from the garage and it drove absolutely perfectly again, and all the mechanic did was reset the faults.

Another month or so passsed by and the same process happened again. The car went into a kind of limp mode, no warning lights or messages and then another week later the DEPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY message and EML appeared.

So i took the car back to mechanic. he got the following error codes from the car P2191 & P0172. He was however unable to tell me the exact cuase of the problem and advised that i book it into the main peugeot dealer and get them to run a diagniostic on it.

Again, the mechanic reset the faults and the car drove away perfectly.

So i waited for the faults to happen again, same process, limp mode, week or 2 later DEPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY, EML.

I booked it into PEUGEOT for a diagnostic. the report came back with 2 fault codes P2191 & P2603.

The diagnostic report reads - "Fault P2191 Mixture regulations fault, require further diagnostic time to get to coolant pump to test the electrical wiring and the engine ECU to establish what needs replacing"

The second fault is with the intermittent Turbo(LIMP MODE) and the diagnostic report reads - "Fault codes P2603 - Turbo additional coolant pump fault and P1385 - Super Knock detection. As above, require 2-3 hours further investigation time to strip & trace wiring and determine what is required. Please note, info flash applicable to this vehicle regarding timing chain - when first starting vehicle in the morning, is there a metal tapping noise coming from the engine that lasts a few seconds, if so then timing chain replacement is required and is in the region of 1000 to carry out."

That cost me 108 and they said they will need to spend another 2-3 hours on the car to find the fault. this will be at a cost of 60 per hour + VAT.

Again, the dealer reset the faults and the car drove away fine.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at the length of time this is taking to get to the bottom of and also it seems to be costing me more & more money. I am getting to a point now where i am reluctant to spend any more money on finding the fault, especially if its going to end up costing me a small fortune to fix.

So basically, Im asking of there is anyone who has had experience of these faults on this model and if they can advise on what they think the problem could be and how to go about fixing it.

The car itself is used for mainly town driving, short journeys, am not sure of this is relevant but i know that the diesel variant can have issues with this. it has done just over 25,00 miles to date.
ikpo79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-03-13, 10:20 PM   #2
davidireland

Sadly Peugeot got BMW to supply this engine. It does come with a FEW niggles.

Ok first code can be timing related. I'd be checking the valve timing aswell as other mixture related sensors etc.
The second is in relation to the electric waterpump. I've personally never had a problem with one as I don't see alot of petrol 207s where I am.
ikpo79 likes this.

Last edited by davidireland; 14-03-13 at 10:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-13, 10:40 PM   #3
Inactive User

Smile Depolution issue/fault my two pennies worth

This is such a common fault and I've been laughed at by the local peugeot dealership in Westbury Wiltshire when I went in with my 2008 model 308 hdi.

The issue is brought on by how the cars are driven and also by the carbon build up in the filters, if you drive the car for short journeys you will get this fault regularly as the filter system needs to be driven hot to burn off the carbon particles its filtered out, usually a good 1 hour drive will sort at 60-70 miles per hour. (So peugeot told me).

Peugeot also told me the cars should have these filters replaced at 40-80k miles at your cost of approx 800 + vat. It's not in any of the manuals I've read or was told about when I bought the car.

Peugeot use wet filters for the car and some times these need refilling, the wet filter is usually found under the rear quarter panel behind the wheel arch driver side, you can't get to this without removing the wheel and decals. Also the fluid they use is difficult to buy... (Sorry cant remember what it's called)

Peugeot also offer a cleaning service for the filters 60 cost to clean them with a fluid, I've aske if this will resolve the issue and the guy smiled and said probably not but its only 60 to try? This is a Peugeot dealership in Westbury Wiltshire.

The independent advice I've had is to sell the car, the 1.6 hdi engines are faulty when driven on small local journeys and will never be able to cope with short journeys.

The computer diagnostics will throw up all errors as the blocked filter causes random error messages when air flow is restricted.

Lambda sensors are fitted all over the exhaust to measure carbon and air flow when these detect incorrect estimated readings they close down there section causing a chain reaction to effect the cars performance.

If you want your car back you must replace the carbon filter system, 800 its not covered by warranty as its classed the same as your exhaust and tyres, big rip off.

You can so I'm told have the ecu unit remapped and remove the error message completely which enables the car to function ok, but I'm not to sure about this.

In short if you love the car you'll pay to have it fixed, if not sell it and buy something from another manufacture who will take you seriously and provide a car that works without nasty hidden surprises no matter how you drive it.
Gazza328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-13, 08:06 AM   #4

BBC Watchdog did a feature on DPFs back in 2011:

BBC - Watchdog: Is your diesel filter out of kilter?

The dealers may not tell you (why risk ruining their commission) but there is a lot of information on the web about it, and its discussed very frequently here.
Old 12-04-13, 08:31 AM   #5
davidireland

I don't know what all the giving out is about. Every car from every manufacturer with a dpf has the same issues. The long and short of it is there is alot of conflicting information out there. Theres no way you need to replace your particle filter at 80k. It does has a service life but that life is more on the line of 250,000km. But if treated right, with the correct spec oil and the fixing of other problems extends dpf like exponentially.
I'll SAY IT AGAIN DPFS DON'T GIVE TROUBLE. Its YOU the person that drives the car usually doesnt do research on first buying the it. Actually sitting down and saying ok this car has a particle filter, whats that? Maybe i'll find out to be sure and ask a few questions as to what needs to be done to maintain it. Then when something goes wrong you're backing mouthing off about the manufacturer.
Your research may have told you that the 90bhp version of the dv6 engine has no dpf of dmf and say ok this car would suit me as i do lots of town driving. What do i need a 110bhp engine with dpf and dmf driving around a city for. But wait its a sport trim, i want that more than sitting down and seeing reason and actually thinking what Im buying.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jimcpower likes this.
Old 12-04-13, 09:03 AM   #6

I don't understand why you're all talking about DPF's when the original post is about a 308 1.6 THP Sport 5 dr 2008 PETROL car! Obviously this doesn't have a DPF!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-13, 09:16 AM   #7
Inactive User

I have to agree. I have seen plenty of these 1.6hdi going on for 150k and faurther with no dpf issues. One of the main problems is when a warning is displayed the driver ignores it as "the car is driving fine"

When there is a problem it usually relates to some other underlying fault, running issue. Proper servicing is the key.

Going back to the OPs car, this is petrol. I cant offer advise Im afraid as I dont have experience of this model.
jimcpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-13, 10:21 AM   #8
davidireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
I don't understand why you're all talking about DPF's when the original post is about a 308 1.6 THP Sport 5 dr 2008 PETROL car! Obviously this doesn't have a DPF!
We go like that on a rant.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
mooi1uk likes this.
Old 12-04-13, 01:01 PM   #9
Inactive User

Default Sorry chaps miss read thread..

Any ways my rant is over, any one want a cheap 2008 1.6hdi 7 seat Peugeot.

Only fault is the PDF issue, everything else is mint.

Drop me a line.
Gazza328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-13, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
Someone has tagged their problem onto an existing thread rather than starting a new one. David and I were responding to Gazza328.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in