Intermittently Rough Idle - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-13, 11:47 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Intermittently Rough Idle

Hey all,

Looking for some advice here. Several weeks ago I bought a 308 1.6 VTI Sport (petrol). Basically we had a period of very cold weather about two weeks ago, and during such I had a 'Depollution system faulty' flash up with the engine management light when starting one cold morning.

Since then it seems to intermittently show depollution fault, I can start the car fine with no problems one day, the next it may show up.

Also have noticed that when starting from cold it feels like the engine is going to stall; will immediately maintain the revs at ~1300rpm then immediately drop to ~700, then feel like its going to stall and shoot back up to ~1300rpm. This happens for about 2 minutes until the engine is somewhat warm when it will then idle perfectly fine.

Driving at times it feels very sluggish, definately not like 120bhp should. Now this morning I started the engine, no depollution fault, however the exhaust was kicking out a lot of white fumes, heavy misfire between 700-2000rpm but cleared after around 3 miles of driving. No warning lights, no alarms.

Having got home to check it out, ~10 mile journey home, i've noticed the engine temp is 90degrees, top of the radiator is hot, bottom is only warm and the bottom hose is cold coming from the thermostat. (Dont know if thats relevant) and no matter how long I left it idling the radiator fan wouldnt kick in. (Have checked, it spins freely)

Can anyone offer any advice as to what could be the cause. There's definately water in the bottom hose and i'm thinking that I may have a faulty thermostat / water pump, but there's no overheating. Oil has no residue, oil level fine, coolant levels fine with no contamination. Could a faulty thermostat cause the other problems tho? And is there any way to check if the thermostat is working normally?

Thanks in advance,
Ross
badlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-13, 09:14 AM   #2
Inactive User

Update:

Thought to get things started I'd do a full service; change oil, coolant, spark plugs, air / fuel / oil filters etc.

Whilst changing the plugs, I noticed that where the bolt was holding the rocker cover to the head was full of oil. Have cleaned it out and hoping that someone overfilled, or spilled when topping up last..

Whilst changing and flushing the coolant, i've tested the coolant temp sensor by placing in a bowl of boiling water with the ignition on (engine not), this then immediately went up to 90+ degrees so I know the sensor is good. However, as soon as it was put back in place, ignition turned off and on again, the cooling fans came on and wouldnt stop even after it was turned off. Had to disconnect the battery to stop them

Also noticed that there was quite a significant amount of water in the fuel filter; dont know if this means something. Also during the oil change, the old oil has a very very distinct smell of petrol in it. But again, no cream and no coolant.

Have tested the water pump, and it appears to be working fine but not very efficiently, so will replace this next week. On the EP6 engine they're only powered by the ancillary belt I believe so it shouldnt be too difficult of a task.
Will also replace both lambda's to be safe.

Having read up on the symptoms online, I'm wondering if the problem is simply that the head is full of carbon; the design on these engines for oil catching is positively stupid and feeds vaporised oil over the top of the valves, yet the petrol is direct port injection, so with it having 70k miles on the clock it's entirely plausible that the valves are caked in crap and not sealing correctly. Would explain the erratic idle and misfire, higher fuel consumption etc?
Old 22-02-13, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default Solved!

Finally took delivery of some SeaFoam this morning.

Have run half a can through the intake with the remaining half in the fuel tank, aside from heavy smoke whilst doing this the engine is sorted.

Misfire has stopped, engine is now idling perfectly, purring like a kitten and top end is running very quiet, no more noisy tappets. Fuel economy is very impressive on these engines when like new I might add; ~50mpg driving through town and 65+mpg on motorway.

...and to think, when I took it to peugeot to diagnose they tried telling me that its the cat thats failed and would cost 500+ to repair. Also tried to tell me that the piston rings could be worn and depending on what they found during works may need to drop the bottom end to replace. Muppets!

Anyhow, for anyone who reads this who has misfire, rough idle, loss of fuel economy etc. Always worth a try with seafoam, only cost me 20. Just make sure to do it right
eugene and ubdevoid like this.

Old 10-03-13, 11:52 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks for updating your post.

It's interesting that my newly acquired car is not great at slower revs until warmed up and has done 60k miles.

I intended to use a fuel cleaner additive anyway and this post seems to confirm my thoughts. I need to check the condition of the plugs too.

My first tank of fuel is so far returning 37mpg on the computer. Your mpg seem very high for a 1.6 Are you very light footed? If i can get returns like that I will be very happy having moved from an LPG motor as my previous car.
pjpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-13, 04:07 AM   #5
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlyboy View Post

Have run half a can through the intake with the remaining half in the fuel tank, aside from heavy smoke whilst doing this the engine is sorted.

Misfire has stopped, engine is now idling perfectly, purring like a kitten and top end is running very quiet, no more noisy tappets. Fuel economy is very impressive on these engines when like new I might add; ~50mpg driving through town and 65+mpg on motorway.

...and to think, when I took it to peugeot to diagnose they tried telling me that its the cat thats failed and would cost 500+ to repair. Also tried to tell me that the piston rings could be worn and depending on what they found during works may need to drop the bottom end to replace. Muppets!

Anyhow, for anyone who reads this who has misfire, rough idle, loss of fuel economy etc. Always worth a try with seafoam, only cost me 20. Just make sure to do it right
I am having similar situation as you did. I mostly get very hard to idle during morning start the rpm would raise till ~1200rpm before it could settled at around ~800rpm after sometime (maybe 1 minute). Thus, the engine light would light up and showing a "depollution system fault" on the multidisplay.

My 1.6THP 308 patrol had clock 50K KM. According to your recommendation on seafoam, where would be the best location to insert seafoam to? As I understand the seafoam would be having the ability to clean up the carbon built up at the intake manifold and on the valves. Appreciate and looking forward in your reply. Thx.

Last edited by eugene; 10-04-13 at 04:19 AM.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-06-13, 09:35 AM   #6
Inactive User

Default Where to insert Seafoam into VTI 1.6?

Hi guys,

greetings from Johannesburg, South Africa.

I am exasperated by the same 308 problem as above at 52k km with P0014 warning... Also have depoluttion warning coming on when I push the engine only a bit (warning P0420).

The Peugeot quote is exhorbitant - so I need to see if the Seafoam can help -the next step is an independent diognostics assessment.

Can someone say where I need to insert the Seafoam in the fuel line? Can it work to only put into fuel line and fuel tank, and not / not engine oil? the latter seems to necessitate the replacement of engine oil...

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers

Johan
jfjvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-06-13, 10:24 AM   #7
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlyboy View Post

50mpg about town on the petrol engine

The Sea Foam has not cured your problem. Unless Sea Foam is capable of repairing badly designed timing gear, or modify the crank case ventilation system for you, then your problem WILL be back. You've had a good crack t the symptoms and done nothing to address the Prince engine disease. You're extremely premature to be boasting about how clever you are and what bell ends Peugeot Techs are. After all, no one paying you 80 and hour + VAT to do anything.

Last edited by chopper1192; 13-06-13 at 10:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-06-13, 10:32 AM   #8
davidireland

If thats all that cures this crap engine then ill take a box of that stuff. Ha.
Pure coincidence that it worked.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chopper1192 likes this.
Old 13-06-13, 10:47 AM   #9
chopper1192

This guy needs to get on the blower to MINI in the USA where owners are brining a class action against the distributor, or Citroen in France where DS3 owners have a national petition running to get the manufacturer to take responsibility for this fault. Hell, a bottle of snake oil per car and the problem is cured - they'll pay him millions for that secret!

But then he reckons there Muppets, so they may just steal his idea for free instead.

Interesting read...

NAD Finds Sea Foam
davidireland likes this.
Old 13-06-13, 11:53 AM   #10
Inactive User

Ok, but why has the THP 1.6 received the best compact engine for 8 years running?
jfjvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in