Hello from a newbie - 308 1.6 THP - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-12-15, 11:31 PM   #1

Default Hello from a newbie - 308 1.6 THP

Hello All

I have recently purchased a 2008 308 1.6 THP GT. I bought it as it had an unknown engine issue. They have suspected a timing chain failure of some sort. until I open her up, I am not going to know exactly what the issue is.

She is a 2008 model, with only 40k on the clock. I have checked the mileage against DVLA and it is accurate.

I don't have much exprience with peugeots, so have a few questions and hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me:

1) Are there any known issues with the above versino of the 308? Is there anything specific I need to look for once the car is fixed? Any common faults/issues?

2) Have worked as a mechanic for 15 years, and tbh haven;t had a dealing with any timing belt.chain failures at this low mileage. I appreciate that it is a 7 yr old car, but still the chain ( if they are indeed chain driven) should last longer than 40k, am I not right?

3) Seems to have a nice spec. 18", partial leather, sunroof. climate control, but no sat nav! Also noticed that the steering wheel has some leather torn off it. Is this common?

4) What is the best and cheapest software out there to read codes for these cars? I have the specific programmes for Vauxhall and Ford, but this is my first French car.

Any general advice as regards to these cars will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
nariman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-12-15, 07:18 AM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nariman1977 View Post
Hello All

I have recently purchased a 2008 308 1.6 THP GT. I bought it as it had an unknown engine issue. They have suspected a timing chain failure of some sort. until I open her up, I am not going to know exactly what the issue is.

She is a 2008 model, with only 40k on the clock. I have checked the mileage against DVLA and it is accurate.

I don't have much exprience with peugeots, so have a few questions and hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me:

1) Are there any known issues with the above versino of the 308? Is there anything specific I need to look for once the car is fixed? Any common faults/issues?

2) Have worked as a mechanic for 15 years, and tbh haven;t had a dealing with any timing belt.chain failures at this low mileage. I appreciate that it is a 7 yr old car, but still the chain ( if they are indeed chain driven) should last longer than 40k, am I not right?

3) Seems to have a nice spec. 18", partial leather, sunroof. climate control, but no sat nav! Also noticed that the steering wheel has some leather torn off it. Is this common?

4) What is the best and cheapest software out there to read codes for these cars? I have the specific programmes for Vauxhall and Ford, but this is my first French car.

Any general advice as regards to these cars will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

i have a 2008 207 with the same engine, 44k now and its already had its chain replaced. these engines suffer with poorly designed chain tensioners which end up starved of oil, go weak and cause premature wear on the chain. the tensioner has been revised numerous times since 2008.

in addition to this, the material used for the original chains was too soft, hence they wore out a lot faster, so if its the original chain its done well to get to 40k. mine had a new one at 30k.

for these engines (not specific to the 308), main issues are timing chains, high pressure fuel pump, turbo oil feed leaking, carbon build up on the intake valves and to some extent the electronic systems/sensors. turbo itself seems to be fairly reliable until over ~ 100k miles with good servicing.

use peugeot planet for diagnostics, generic code readers dont give you nearly as much detail as you will require.

the leather steering wheel does have a tendancy to split along the seam, something which can easily be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing

hope that helps
adam19952013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-12-15, 08:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. 30k for a timing chain seems to be really low!

Another thing I forgot to ask, was that when I got the car, the battery was flat as pancake. I think it is comepletely gone as I can't even charge it. So will need to replace it.

But to test the doors and ..., I put a spare battery in there. The ignition comes on and everything works. But the remote control doesn't work at all. On either keys.

If the battery was flat, can the keys lose their pair relationship to the car? How can they be reset to the car? Is pug planet the only tool for it?

Old 24-12-15, 11:33 AM   #4
Inactive User

yeah, chains are meant to be far more durable than belts, but it seems BMW/Peugeot mesed up the design of the THP engines. the variable valve timing is apparently also quite harsh in terms of wear on the chain. if you intend to do the chain then ensure you get the correct locking kit, they're pretty much impossible to do right without the gear. it aint cheap either...

dependent on whats wrong, it could be a faulty tensioner, i had a clatter at start up (sign of loose chain) which was solved with a new tensioner. i presume the chain is okay seeing as it was only ~8k miles at this point but i dont know the specifics of yours.

in terms of the remote central locking, i'm not sure, i think 'trustme' on here would likely be your best source of information as he deals with programming, bsi etc.

if the battery is very low, i think it might disable the remote central locking to conserve battery. does 'economy mode' come up on the display at all?
Old 24-12-15, 12:07 PM   #5

re the timing, not a job for ebay locking tool sets! we did a car with the laser make timing tool set and the play when cams where "locked" was shocking.

tolerances are that fine that even setting it with that tool the timing was out!

question is will Peugeot sell u the proper timing tool, its £260 quid for the locking pieces of camshaft, but u also need the flywheel lock which is separate and kit is about 80 quid.

40k on the chain has certainly been the average length of mileage on them before timing goes, but depending on who did the timing job we have seen the timing go after 2 weeks to 6 years! its crucial that the oil is kept to the max level at all times.
ADS77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-12-15, 12:42 PM   #6

Than kyou for the responses so far. Very good input.

As regards to 'Economy Mode' > yes, it does come up on the display. But the battery I have put on, is fully charged, so there should be no reason for that to come up?

I have read about resetting the fob by putitng ignition on and then pressing lock for 5 seconds. I will try that and see what happens.

As regards to what has happened:

The car came to me with suspect timing chain issue. It is a non runner and bought it for a good price.

i am going to take the timing chain cover off over the xmas period and see what the state of that is. I can also see some oil in the top of the cam cover next to the coil packs. Not sure why that would be? But if I need to take the head off, then I will get the head fully serviced anyway, so that would sort that side of things out.

Is the inlet manifold easy to get off on these cars? The bulk head seems to be quite deep with manifold sitting there . Not sure if easier to get from bottom or top to get it off if the head needs to come off. I might take the head off with manifold on and then separate it. Will see.

As regards to timing kit, yep, will need to invest in a half decent tool kit I guess. I do have a universal kit, which does Vx and Ford, but not sure what it will be like for the pug.

The dip stick is stuck in and can't remove it, but I can turn the engine, so I don;t think anything nasty is stuck there to stop the cam/crank turning which is what I would have expected from a total failure of timing chain. So maybe someone has done the chain before and not done a good job!

Have had a quote from someone for a planet reader and lexia hardware for £150. Is this ok or too much? My Vx kit costed about 1/3 of that! It is a copy but it does all the cars I generally deal with ( anything pre 2012). so was hoping for similar, but it seems not the case?

Thanks for the replies again
Old 24-12-15, 12:56 PM   #7

"Is the inlet manifold easy to get off on these cars?"

yeh pretty easy, especially if have ramp access, we run 207 THP's with induction kits so the air box is taken out, so just bolts on the top side and couple underneath and its loose.

re the diagnostic software, programs and cable prob get on ebay for 80 quid or so to use on own laptop, but Planet will only work on Windows XP and Diagbox it says not to use on windows 10, so most of us use windows 7 or a virtual OS to use windows XP if want to use Planet.

timing tool wise, here is a video of a non Peugeot camshaft locking tool!!
http://vid270.photobucket.com/albums...pslcwd2cub.mp4

needless to say that aint acceptable lol used 2 different types and both had same play in them when the camshafts where locked!
Old 24-12-15, 02:39 PM   #8

Thanks for that.

Yes, the planet I was told wouldn;t work on Windows7 64bit, but the one I was quoted for which was £105, I am told would deffinitely work on windows7 32 bit.

Here is a link to the programe I am talking about:

Ebay item : 252029938825

Other option I guess to install it in XP mode under windows 7. Would that work?

As regards the timing locking kit, yes, that one looks a bit lose. you could be out by a tooth at far ends. Would that amoutn of free play really make all the difference?

Other option is to try and put some washers in there ( between the cam lobe and the locking tool) to stop the cam from rotating, would that work?
Old 24-12-15, 02:52 PM   #9

yeh timing tolerance for a used THP engine is •Engine run in > 10 000 miles : [87.9° ; 90.5°], fair to say that tool in the video was gonna be missing there!

so anything outwith that range will result in timing fault codes and engine performance issues, extreme case which seen a few off is complete mess of the timing and pistons meeting the valves which never ends well!

washer idea..... I wouldn't that's for sure.

I have laptop with windows 7 64bit and am running diagbox no problem, but Planet will only work on Windows XP, so I have a virtual operating system set up on windows 7 64bit laptop so can use that if need too, think majority who run Planet will use it this way.
Old 24-12-15, 03:01 PM   #10
Inactive User

the oil on top of the cam cover next to the ignition coils is likely overspill from when people have previously topped up the oil. unless you use a funnel it does go everywhere due to the awkward placement of the oil cap in relation to the scuttle and everything else. seeing as these engines burn a fair bit of oil, the previous owners should have been topping it up regularly, this is probably what you are seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in