Hello from a new member with his first question - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-13, 11:10 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Hello from a new member with his first question

Hi guys!

I've just bought a 2010 Peugeot 308 XS 1.6 HDi 6A (9HR-8/P) for my wife and we love it! Only had it a couple of weeks so hopefully it will treat us well. I actually learnt to drive 27 years ago in a 404 which became my pride and joy for about 4 years, damn that was a great car!

The car received its 12 month/20,000km minor service in 09/11 with 10,200km on it. It then had its 24 month/40,000km major service in 09/12 with 19,200km on it. There are no stamps in the service booklet for anything but those two services.

As it is 30 months I'd like to do an 'intermediate' service on the car myself. I'm not 100% sure I trust the dealer as they quoted $400 for what appears to be, by the logbook, a top-up of fluids and check the tyre pressures.

I've ordered a Haynes service manual online and should have it in the next week or so but I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction regarding this intermediate service.

I was thinking of changing the oil and oil filter and possibly fitting a new fuel filter. Good idea?

If so, any of these oils sound good?

1. Castrol Magnatec Professional C2 5W-30
2. Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30
3. Elf Evolution SXR 5W-30
4. Elf Excellium FTX 5W-30
5. Valvoline Synpower ENV C2 5W-30
6. Castrol Edge 5W-30
7. Mobil 1 5W-30
8. Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30

Sorry about the long list but I'm a bit pedantic about oil as I realise the importance of good and clean oil.

Also, what would you recommend as a good choice in oil and fuel filters?

Cheers guys!

Cammo
Cammo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-13, 11:18 AM   #2

Welcome aboard. You won't get any argument here about frequent oil changes. I've done changes every 6000 miles and never had an engine problem in my life.

If 5W30 is the recommended oil for your engine then you won't have any problem with those quality oils, although I think Total is recommended more in the UK.
Old 26-03-13, 11:29 AM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks Gibbo, I can actually get the recommended Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W-30 in my town, I guess it might be a good bet unless someone recommends one of those or something else specifically over that Peugeot recommended Total oil.

Old 26-03-13, 02:31 PM   #4
davidireland

Default Re: Hello from a new member with his first question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammo View Post
Thanks Gibbo, I can actually get the recommended Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W-30 in my town, I guess it might be a good bet unless someone recommends one of those or something else specifically over that Peugeot recommended Total oil.
Use the total ineo. You won't get better for that engine. Change it every 10k kms.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-13, 02:47 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for that David, as I've only done about 4000km in the six months since its last service do you think I'm wasting my time and money?
Old 14-04-13, 09:33 PM   #6
Inactive User

Default Service

Hi, I have a 308 1.6 hdi. 6,000 miles or 6 months change oil and filter. 12,000 miles or 12 months change oil along with oil, air, fuel and pollen filter. When you think that over the year it will cost you less than 150.00 for the oil and filters it's worth it if only for peace of mind. With filters make sure they are o/e (original equipment) if you don't get them from main dealer. Remember that the sump only holds 3.75 litres which isn't a lot for 12,500 miles between services which Peugeot recommend.
Zoony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in