heating problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-11-17, 04:12 PM   #1

Default heating problems

My car heater (308 1.6 2010 petrol) is only giving out tepid warm air. It's been to my local garage who have given it a good flushing out after they said the input pipe was hot but the output wasn't hot. The mechanic said they also put some radiator flush through it at the same time to clear out any blockages.

Alas,after giving it a drive it hasn't resolved the problem.

The engine is getting up to normal temperature ok, and the system refilled..but I'm just not getting heat via the matrix .

Not sure what to do now, the mechanic reckoned the flaps were ok, and the dials on the dash were ok..so is it a new matrix ? Actually ebay have one at 30, should I just assume that is the answer ?

I'm assuming that even though it was flushed through it didn't actually clear whatever was /is in there, and with a little bit of heat coming through maybe most of the matrix isn't getting hot at all ?
ks10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-11-17, 05:31 PM   #2

Hi, I has this pretty much. To check the matrix was clear I set the heat minimum and ran the engine then switched the heat to maximum. Mine was hot for about 5 seconds then it cooled off and was cold after 10 seconds. I put this down to a blocked matrix and replaced it. Works fine now. I could barely blow through the old matrix. If the car doesn't overheat I would assume the water pump is ok which would be the only other reason for poor water flow through the matrix. If you search this forum based on my user name you'll see some instructions I wrote about swapping it out. It was a quick job and the worst bit was drying out the carpet after the system emptied itself into the footwell rather more quickly than I thought it would!
ks10 likes this.
nico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-11-17, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico View Post
Hi, I has this pretty much. To check the matrix was clear I set the heat minimum and ran the engine then switched the heat to maximum. Mine was hot for about 5 seconds then it cooled off and was cold after 10 seconds. I put this down to a blocked matrix and replaced it. Works fine now. I could barely blow through the old matrix. If the car doesn't overheat I would assume the water pump is ok which would be the only other reason for poor water flow through the matrix. If you search this forum based on my user name you'll see some instructions I wrote about swapping it out. It was a quick job and the worst bit was drying out the carpet after the system emptied itself into the footwell rather more quickly than I thought it would!
Ok, thanks for that nico. yes, that sounds familiar.

My mechanic originally said it was a big job to replaced the matrix, but then another guy came and said it actually wan't too bad...you don't have to remove the dash, it's accessible via the passenger footwell area, but I think you still need to get at the pipes from the bulkhead too ?
You couldn't give me a step by step guide could you ?

I've just bought the ebay matrix ,arrives Friday..is there anything I should check particularly when it arrives before starting to dismantle everything ?

Old 15-11-17, 08:07 PM   #4

The 'other guy' may have been me. Here's the thread where I posted the guide. There are a couple of entries on there. In this particular instance the Haynes manual was good. Anyway this is the thread...
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...heater-197314/
If your matrix didn't come with new O rings you'll definitely need a couple. The sizes are in the write up. Peugeot don't seem to sell them separately.
ks10 likes this.
Old 15-11-17, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico View Post
The 'other guy' may have been me. Here's the thread where I posted the guide. There are a couple of entries on there. In this particular instance the Haynes manual was good. Anyway this is the thread...
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...heater-197314/
If your matrix didn't come with new O rings you'll definitely need a couple. The sizes are in the write up. Peugeot don't seem to sell them separately.
That's great , thanks.
just for clarification, I assume you had to undo the pipes on the bulkhead/engine side too or can you get at all these pipes from inside the car ?
How many O rings are needed ..i'll buy these as well as the garage won't have them..ebay again..
Old 15-11-17, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks10 View Post
That's great , thanks.
just for clarification, I assume you had to undo the pipes on the bulkhead/engine side too or can you get at all these pipes from inside the car ?
How many O rings are needed ..i'll buy these as well as the garage won't have them..ebay again..
ha, just re read your post..2 o rings, which means the pipes in the bulkhead are the ones accessible from the footwell ...got there in the end
Old 15-11-17, 09:38 PM   #7

Yes, everything is accessible from the footwell. Good luck keeping the carpets dry!
ks10 likes this.
Old 16-11-17, 11:38 AM   #8

Been following you're post and will be very interested how you get on. Had exactly the same problem with my 2009 308 1.6vti. Resigned myself to tepid heater this winter as will probably sell it middle of next year. Worst heater I've had on a car since 1966 Hillman imp. !
ks10 likes this.
mookev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-11-17, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookev View Post
Been following you're post and will be very interested how you get on. Had exactly the same problem with my 2009 308 1.6vti. Resigned myself to tepid heater this winter as will probably sell it middle of next year. Worst heater I've had on a car since 1966 Hillman imp. !
ok, well the system flush didn't do much so I decided to buy a 2nd hand matrix from Ebay, 30, and some new washers. It went into the garage yesterday and then I took it for a drive after collection. The heater is definitely pumping out hot air now so it has made a difference. The only waiver though is that on the high blower settings the heat reduces significantly, that's on setting 4 and 5 for the blower..Up to setting 3 it's hot. Now I'll keep my eye on this in case there's a bit of air in the system, and keep checking the coolant level.

The garage charged just an hour for the job, plus a bit of top up coolant .

The mechanic told me it looked like someone had put some radweld in the system, which he saw signs of when he took the old matrix out and emptied it. He said despite the earlier flushing radweld will not be cleaned out, it's very purpose to be to seal small holes,and in the heater matrix that can block up the works.

It cost me 76 at the garage and 30 for the matrix, but 100 for warmth on a freezing morning will definitely be worth it ..
Old 29-12-17, 02:13 PM   #10

I have the same problem, thought I might have a go at changing the matrix, what matrix did you buy, do you have a part number? I'd hate top get the wrong one lol.
Tiggatoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in