Halogen Upgrades - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-16, 11:32 AM   #1

Default Halogen Upgrades

OK, so for those of us stuck with the yellow halogens on the new 308's, who didn't get the LED/xenon lights. Im going to try and find a solution.

Halogen lights on cars that just have halogen lights are fine. However, as my car has LED DRL's and Halogen lights on the front. I think the yellow looks a bit dated when on at the same time.

So i have been looking at various ways of resolving this. I know that due to the technology there are limitations of light colour, and I am not willing to go down the HID upgrade route do to potential issues, and legality issues.

So, first step (and hopefully last) was to find a decent bulb. As far as I know, my car is still running standard OEM headlights, I have never thought they are too dim or anything, I just dont like the colour. This is purely a vanity issue rather than a performance issue

So a while back i was looking at Philips Blue Vision Ultra bulbs. These look light the best option, as they claim to be the closest bulb to white light (dont let the blue in the name deceive you) whilst still being 'road legal'

However now all the bulb sites are talking about these new Philips WhiteVision Xenon look bulbs. (Although they seem to be nearly a year old, i had never heard of them.) These bulbs are the replacement for the bluevision ultra. And not only do they claim to be the best in class for white looking light. They also claim to give up to an extra 60% light on the road.

Philips WhiteVision Website

Now I know a lot of these bulbs claim to be everything, and in reality can be a bit of a let down. So I did a bit of research. I must have watched about 30 youtube videos of bulb comparisons and tests, and it seems like these bulbs really do the job.

Probably one of the most useful places to visit is a Citroen DS3 owners forum where people have spoken about these bulbs, and have put up photos and videos comparing them to standard.

DS3 Owners WhiteVision

Anyway, so I have taken the plunge and ordered some of amazon. I got a full set (2 x H7 and 2 x H1) ((also includes some white sidelight bulbs which are no use to me whatsoever)) for about 32.

The reviews on amazon nearly put me off, as there are as many poor reviews as good ones. They are sold by the 'official philips' store on amazon, so are unlikely to be fake. So I can only imagine that the bad reviews are people putting these bulbs in 1995 Corsa's with knackered batteries and alternators expecting to light up the road like a set of 2016 Mercedes Xenons!

Anyway, the bulbs will be with me at some point this week. I will take a before / after photo, but to be honest I am unlikely to mess around changing one at a time, and showing you the car with one of each time in each side. Ill just do them all at once! Hopefully the results will be enough to convince anyone looking!

Anyways, hope this helped, I'm now off to the car to try and remove the inner door card to look at adding lights, and replacing the speakers! Wish me luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-16, 11:41 AM   #2

I know it's a personal thing, but what's wrong with the speakers? I'd also appreciate a photo of the speaker unit, if you don't mind.
arnoldc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-03-16, 01:27 PM   #3

I dont have the upgrade audio, the speakers are ok... But if you turn it up over 20 (out of 30) it just seems to go crappy. The speakers are only cheap material ones, so even a cheap set of metal cone speakers will sound better and produce better bass without sounding like they are falling apart. I have always upgraded the speakers in my car, and then when i get another car with standard speakers in, i notice that they aren't so good...

Anyway, good news, I got the door card off fairly easily, and I took photos the whole way. I will try and turn this into a guide at some point today / tomorrow.

The speakers in this car as standard are about 2cm thick from front to back! No wonder they don't sound so good. There is clearance for at least double the size, maybe even triple. The speakers (as normal) will need some kind of adapter bracket. The tweeters up by the door handle will be a lot more difficult to replace, as they are custom shaped, to lock into the door card. And they actually come off with the door card when it is removed!

Pictures to follow on another thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 13-03-16, 01:39 PM   #4

Hi Paul, I have tried lots of Halogen and the Philips WhiteVision are the best choice.

Have a look here: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...0/#post1284722

Al.
Old 13-03-16, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Hi Paul, I have tried lots of Halogen and the Philips WhiteVision are the best choice.

Have a look here: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...0/#post1284722

Al.
How did I miss your whole post on these bulbs? If I had seen you already recommended them, I would have not thought twice about buying them!

Ah well, they are on their way to me now! Will see how they look afterwards!

Old 13-03-16, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMillard View Post
How did I miss your whole post on these bulbs? If I had seen you already recommended them, I would have not thought twice about buying them!

Ah well, they are on their way to me now! Will see how they look afterwards!

...must be an age thing as you 'liked' my first post on the 8th Feb...

You will be well pleased.

Al.
Old 13-03-16, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
...must be an age thing as you 'liked' my first post on the 8th Feb...

You will be well pleased.

Al.
Im only 25

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come!
allan40alt and Muneer like this.

Old 14-03-16, 10:20 AM   #8

Hi Paul, I have the Active 1.6HDi too and am also disappointed I missed out on LED headlights.

I came to the same conclusion as you and I bought the WhiteVisions a couple weeks ago and I think it is probably the closest you can get in terms of white halogens.

Hope it's what you're after too!

P.S. What did you buy the H1s for?
Old 14-03-16, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneer View Post
Hi Paul, I have the Active 1.6HDi too and am also disappointed I missed out on LED headlights.

I came to the same conclusion as you and I bought the WhiteVisions a couple weeks ago and I think it is probably the closest you can get in terms of white halogens.

Hope it's what you're after too!

P.S. What did you buy the H1s for?
There may always be an option to add them at a later date

The H1's are for the main beam, H7 for the dipped. (At least that is what I found out online... You are making me doubt myself with that comment now)

Anyway, apparently they will be here today so I will know soon!
Muneer likes this.

Old 14-03-16, 10:40 AM   #10

My handbook shows the halogen headlight bulbs as:

NB: As with all halogen bulbs DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS ENVELOPE WITH YOU BARE HANDS/FINGERS as that can cause the bulb to blister and fail and it will not be covered by the warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
capturehalogen.jpg  

Last edited by allan40alt; 07-07-17 at 09:44 AM.
allan40alt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in