"Engine fault - repair needed. Risk of particle filter clogging" - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-01-18, 02:34 PM   #1

Default "Engine fault - repair needed. Risk of particle filter clogging"

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and Peugeot ownership and would appreciate your advice. Sorry if covered before but I've searched and not found the answer.

Have recently bought a 2011 308 SR SW HDI 92. It is a 1 owner fsh car with all invoices since new and in great condition, despite 222,000 miles.

In November 2016 it had a full service and DPF fluid refill (220 just for the refill) at 207,000 miles, so should not need another refill anytime soon. The warning light and fault detail stated in title of thread above came on recently. Last week car did a 300 mile return trip and yesterday 250 mile return trip, giving plenty of opportunity to regenerate. Yesterday on a long downhill I put in low gear and revved to about 4000 rpm. Despite this the warnings still come on on start-up.

If I ignore the warnings (performance is still great), will it eventually go into "limp mode" to force a remedial action? Secondly, I'm tempted to use a manual additive in the fuel (Archoil AR 6900D) to keep everything clean, in lieu of (or it could be in addition to) the cars own system. BUT, will the car still regenerate with the warning light system on? The regen is still needed for the Archoil additive to do its work.

Maybe the DPF is in need of replacement or manual cleaning, due to the very high mileage covered?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated - thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Chris.
308er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-01-18, 05:30 PM   #2

I cleaned the DPF on ours manually. Took it off and back flushed it with boiling water, about 3 kettles, then let it dry out for a bit before refitting.
Old 31-01-18, 05:31 PM   #3

However, there is also the possibility that the pressure sensor has failed and giving a false clogged reading.

Old 03-02-18, 05:08 PM   #4

Thanks Brian. If it starts to lose performance I may try a physical clean of the dpf.
Might be worth me trying a change of sensor, though maybe the electronics would need to be reset to clear the fault warning, before you find out if that was causing the problem?
Cheers,
Chris.
Old 03-02-18, 08:35 PM   #5

Where are you? I would get it on Planet/Diagbox diagnostics to get an accurate idea of the problem. There may be a member near you who has the kit and can do a diagnostics for you (normally just for a few beet tokens). Check the Planet map link to in the intro thread.

If the DPF has never been changed or cleaned and the ECU hasn't been told this has been carried out then this warning will appear after a predefined mileage. It would be better to check using diagnostics though before you go swapping parts or spending money.

Last edited by Eccles; 03-02-18 at 08:39 PM.
Eccles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-18, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
Where are you? I would get it on Planet/Diagbox diagnostics to get an accurate idea of the problem. There may be a member near you who has the kit and can do a diagnostics for you (normally just for a few beet tokens). Check the Planet map link to in the intro thread.

If the DPF has never been changed or cleaned and the ECU hasn't been told this has been carried out then this warning will appear after a predefined mileage. It would be better to check using diagnostics though before you go swapping parts or spending money.
Thanks Eccles. I am in Hereford and I see there is someone in Leominster with the equipment so a good idea to ask him to check it out.

The car has a very full main dealer service history with invoices (Perrys of Bolton) except the last service at 207k miles by an indie. I see that at the 100k service in Nov 2013 there is an entry P0000973697 Particulate 92.30 - 10% = 83.07 + VAT. So looks like it was changed at the 100k service. As the car has now done 222k miles and if Peugeot instruct changing at 100k intervals, it does seem likely that at 22k miles over it is initiating the warning, whether or not it is actually needed.
Good idea to get the system interrogated before doing anything.
Thanks again!
Chris.
Old 04-02-18, 01:51 PM   #7

The ecu expects to see a replaced DPF every 100k miles i think it is so it could be that but in all honesty without a session on planet you are simply guessing.

Test not guess is the best option here it could be something really simple servicing does not prevent things going wrong and a full history does not mean you wont get issues.

I would NOT ignore it this is what WILL cost you more money.

People ignoring the warnings is what gives DPF systems the bad reputation they really dont deserve it is a relatively simple system you just need to know what is REALLY wrong.

If the DPF is indeed needing replaced you can just clean it and tell the ecu its been replaced !
Old 04-02-18, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
The ecu expects to see a replaced DPF every 100k miles i think it is so it could be that but in all honesty without a session on planet you are simply guessing.

Test not guess is the best option here it could be something really simple servicing does not prevent things going wrong and a full history does not mean you wont get issues.

I would NOT ignore it this is what WILL cost you more money.

People ignoring the warnings is what gives DPF systems the bad reputation they really dont deserve it is a relatively simple system you just need to know what is REALLY wrong.

If the DPF is indeed needing replaced you can just clean it and tell the ecu its been replaced !
Thanks! I will take your and Eccles good advice and get it checked out on Planet equipment.
Cheers,
Chris.
Old 04-02-18, 02:25 PM   #9

Just need to make this one more post for the system to allow me to pm nearest member with Planet equipment.
Old 20-07-18, 10:51 AM   #10

Hi all,

Just to let you know the outcome when I finally got around to having it professionally checked out. The problem was that the garage that did the pdf fluid refill (charging 220) did not reset the computer. That in turn was not activating the regeneration process.
Diagnostic check and reset computer and problem sorted.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Chris.
Gibbo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in