Dreaded Rear Light Cluster Fault - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-11, 10:49 AM   #1
Inactive User

Thumbs down Dreaded Rear Light Cluster Fault

Hi,

First post from long time lurker. I've got a 57 plate 308 HDi Sport 110 which aside from this issue has been faultless and a great drive. My Labrador loves it too.

However the rear right light cluster has completely failed. I've read threads on this being a likely corrosion of earth connection and have a PDF copy of the fix which is recommended for 407s with the same problem.

Has anyone attempted this on a 308 or resolved it in any other way? I can't see any corrosion however maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Strobemonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-11, 12:40 PM   #2

IIRC isn't the 407 problem the burning out of the earth, not corrosion?
Old 11-10-11, 01:20 PM   #3
Inactive User

Actually I think you're right. Has anyone resolved failure of the complete cluster on here?

Old 12-10-11, 08:44 PM   #4
Inactive User

Sorry cant help, but I have the same problem. Have read loads about it being an issue but nothing on how to fix it. I thought I might just be able to buy a new bulbholder but I cant find anything online, I dont know if they can be bought seperately or if you have to buy the entire light. For what seems to be such a common problem there seems to be very little info on a solution. Any help would be good.
ris58 likes this.
julie272 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 13-10-11, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive User

Talking

Ok I've managed to sort this out. I don't want to say the word "fix" though. Here's what I did, although it's not what you'd call scientific.

1) Removed the light cluster, opened it up removed the bulbs and replaced then. Disconnected the wiring and cleaned the pins. Put it all back together again. This made no difference at all.

2) With the ignition off, followed the wiring up the inside of the car to see if anything felt out of place. You can't actually see though which doesn't help because of the lining. Then gave the wiring a general giggle about. Reconnected everthing. It works!!!!

I'm not saying it's permanent fix as the symptom has been intermitant at both sides but at least it's working for now.

Does anyone know if the following recall is related to this?

Recall Ref: R/2010/157
Exact Model: 307, 308, 807, Expert III
Description: LIGHTS MAY FAIL WITHOUT WARNING.
VIN: VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(807), VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(308), VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(307), VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(Expert)
Build Date: 06/07/2007 to 07/03/2008
Numbers: 2897
Defect: It has been identified that the position of the exterior lighting control ring may not be detected by the lighting management system and the lights may switch off without warning.
Action: Recalled vehicles will have the lighting management software updated.
Launch Date: 06 October 2010
Old 13-10-11, 04:20 PM   #6
Inactive User

Update - it's stopped working again. Aaaaaargh
Old 13-10-11, 07:27 PM   #7
Inactive User

Annoying isn't it? I also succeeded by wiggling the wires around...for about 20 minutes! Am getting to the stage I just want to kick it now! Had someone look at it and he said it has corroded in the bulb holder, but as I said previously I cant find any of these online I just hope I dont have to buy a whole light. There must be another way?????
julie272 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 15-10-11, 05:33 PM   #8
Inactive User

Talking

OK slight update. After taking apart the light and disconnecting the wiring we thought we'd test the theory that it could be related to the level of contact between the pins at either side of the wiring.

We slightly bent each of the the PINs and connections at both sides of the wiring so that they would lean closer together an all seems good now.

Case Closed - Fingers crossed it keeps working.

I think the whole 407 earthing issue was completely unrelated in this case.
Old 15-10-11, 10:46 PM   #9
Inactive User

The 407 doesn't 'always' suffer from a burnt earth. My right light cluster was entirely due to corrosion.

Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
philkerman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 16-10-11, 03:36 PM   #10
Inactive User

i had same problem on my 406 the problem was the slots in which the bulbs went into were too tight when i was pushing and turning the bulbs into it they were breaking contects in the bulbs try making the slots looser? hope that helps
frankie406 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in