Do I dare to connect rear parking sensors? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-12, 07:43 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Do I dare to connect rear parking sensors?

Hi,

I am trying to install aftermarket rear parking sensors.
When I try to connect to the rear backlight to get power there are some serious warnings attached to the backlight wires (see pictures) not to connect any equipment using more the 10mA. (The rear parking sensors are using 20-80mA). I have seen so many instructions saying just to connect to the backlights. Do I dare? What could happen ? If not, any suggestions ?

TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-12, 08:27 PM   #2

could you use a relay?
chopper1192 likes this.
pauls0701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-11-12, 08:59 AM   #3
chopper1192

You could damage the wiring loom. Relaying it up is an excellent idea.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-14, 04:15 PM   #4
Inactive User

Hi,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I'm wondering the same myself - can I fit reversing sensors to my 508 which also carries the same 10ma warning.

As an electronics novice, I'm wondering can you point me in the direction of the right relay/ or offer me any further advice of how I could wire this up?

Thanks
MR.Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-14, 12:48 PM   #5
Inactive User

OK, so after a bit of digging, I found this:
12V RELAY for CISBO parking reversing sensor fitting for CANBUS car connection to ignition power source: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike 12V RELAY for CISBO parking reversing sensor fitting for CANBUS car connection to ignition power source: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Am I right in thinking that this is what I need (The parking sensors are also CISBO)?

And am I also right in thinking that this has 3 'ins':
1) 12v +
2) 12v - (Taken from any 12v power source within the car)
3) A wire for attaching to the reversing lights which (although not carrying power all the time thereby protecting that circuit) flips the switch inside the relay to provide:

[OUT] 12v (+ & -) to the sensor unit?

Is this how it all works?

Thanks
MR.Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-14, 09:39 AM   #6

Yup, that's about right.
What relay does is "sync two different power circles". One power circle is you putting in reverse, where the power goes to the wire attached to the rear lamp, closing the circuit. To avoid loading the circuit with additional resistances (eg your parking sensors), you put a relay in. It has a separate power source, and its state depends on original circuit: when one is open, so is the other one. When one is closed, so is the other one (can be wired vice-versa, but that's not the point here).
So basically what it does is to monitor the original circuit, and when it activates, relay also activates the other circuit. When you close the 1st one, relay closes the 2nd one. Since sensors are loaded on 2nd circuit, relay only uses 1st circuit "as a flip-switch" to know when to open or close the 2nd circuit.

Maybe this sounds complicated, but it really is not.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-04-14, 01:54 PM   #7

Default Retro fir for rear parking sensors to a 308 SW

I fitted some reversing sensors to my Honda a few years ago and posted on the Honda users forum exactly what I did did and how I did it with a few photos, I was hoping someone had done this on the Peugeot forum but I haven't found any but I hope someone can help with my queries, as I really miss this facility when reversing as I find the SW rear vision does have some blind spots.

I have read Blue Devil's notes and I see a relay is needed, can the live feed for this be picked up from the feed to the rear aux socket, has this relay been actually used or has someone used another make successfully, ( the loading worries me) and also does anyone have a wiring diagram ?

Finally is there a recommended place to install the sensors as I assume some part of the rear bumper assembly has to be drilled in order to fit them ( push in models ) .

A bit belt and braces approach but there's nothing worse than carving up the back of the car in the wrong places !

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated westmoors

Last edited by westmoors; 29-04-14 at 02:03 PM.
westmoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-04-14, 05:01 PM   #8

The kits usually come with a piece of paper instructions that have recommended measurements for the sensor positions albeit some do loose a lot if translated.

I have an early 307 Van/Can and connected the live directly to the reversing light feed but wouldn't know if this would be ok for the 308. The ground for the control box could go direct to any earth point so shouldn't need to go through a relay.

I would expect a circuit that can only supply an extra 10ma to be drawing virtually the same current as the fuse protecting it is rated at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-14, 06:41 PM   #9

Default Parking sensors

Hi, I've decided to go ahead and fit reversing sensors to my newly acquired 308 SW as I find the rear view quite restricted and these will be a great help to avoid shunting into something.

I did see the use of a relay is recommended and have ordered one of these as well as the kit and do not see too many problems other than the tapping into rear off side wiring loom as it looks very much as though it could be a major strip out of the trims on that side of the luggage area.

At present I have only looked at possibilities but the small removable cover on the right hand side of the rear area which when removed only contains an empty three bolt fixed plastic molding ( which I assume would be for the tool kit on a left hand drive build car ) and I wondered if this is a way of getting to the loom.

If anyone has retro fitted sensors to an SW I would love to hear their of experiences and how they picked up the reversing light circuit., many thanks for any replies received. westmoors.
westmoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-14, 07:11 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmoors View Post
Hi, I've decided to go ahead and fit reversing sensors to my newly acquired 308 SW as I find the rear view quite restricted and these will be a great help to avoid shunting into something.

I did see the use of a relay is recommended and have ordered one of these as well as the kit and do not see too many problems other than the tapping into rear off side wiring loom as it looks very much as though it could be a major strip out of the trims on that side of the luggage area.

At present I have only looked at possibilities but the small removable cover on the right hand side of the rear area which when removed only contains an empty three bolt fixed plastic molding ( which I assume would be for the tool kit on a left hand drive build car ) and I wondered if this is a way of getting to the loom.

If anyone has retro fitted sensors to an SW I would love to hear their of experiences and how they picked up the reversing light circuit., many thanks for any replies received. westmoors.
Unable to advise as I need the same info, I intend to pick up the feed for the relay from the rear power socket and use the reverse light feed for the trigger, I have a torch in the right hand rear area.

308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in