Diesel scandal?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-10-15, 10:32 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Diesel scandal??

So, the moment I buy a used 308 GT 180 HDI, the entire diesel world blows up through emissions rigging.

I haven't yet seen or heard much from Peugeot on this and the dealers seem clueless as to whether Peugeots are impacted.

What do you reckons guys, are the Peugeot diesel effected or not as it seems regulators are pulling VW apart!
telboygt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-15, 11:18 AM   #2

What difference does it actually make ?

Ok the emissions readings are false but at least our vehicle excise is less as the readings are low.

The low readings are forced on the manufacturers by the EU etc they do it because they HAVE to

Car emission readings are always and always have been a mixed bag the tests manufacturers use are not the same as everyday driving so both MPG and emissions will vary in real use.

That applies to petrol and diesels.

They can even vary from different drivers !!

I do not believe modern diesels are any greener than diesels from the 80s as they use MORE fuel in some cases if you removed all the emission crap from a modern diesel it would probably do 5 mpg more and make the same pollution !
Old 18-10-15, 11:48 AM   #3

if they made diesels run on bio diesel or veg oil then the emissions would be off set against the plant grown it would also mean that you would not need all the extra crap like a cat or dpf filter and that in turn would save more emissions as they then would not need to get the expensive metal to make these and would not need to use energy making them

Old 18-10-15, 01:14 PM   #4

I agree with all that but problem is modern engines cannot run straight veg it is simply too thick you hear people claim they are running it now and again but they soon dissapear when their fuel system packs in

older engines work fine on it but the government seem to think old diesels are bad

Electric is the future with built in petrol engines for generation where necessary these could even be running on lpg or even hydrogen.

Pure electric power is never going to appeal to the masses even though it is the best option
Old 18-10-15, 08:41 PM   #5

Full electric will only become mainstream if petrol/diesel or lpg was no longer available. The range is too short and with a long charging time required against the couple of minutes required to top up a fuel tank makes them pretty much useless to anyone wishing to do a long journey or for people whose jobs require driving all day. If a viable large capacity, light & cheap battery pack is ever developed this might change but that doesn't seem like it will become a reality anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-10-15, 08:54 PM   #6

VW putting code in their ECU's to fool people Peugeot it appears have not done this
Old 18-10-15, 09:07 PM   #7

The code is not to fool people it was simply used to lower emissions during testing they DID NOT do it to sell cars exactly they done it to satisfy the EU regulations that is why i fail to see what all the fuss is about its not a safety thing like their ABS issues they were quite happy to fob people off with that one !!

Electric cars ARE viable most people could alter their routine slightly to make them viable even on long journeys modern electric cars can do 100 miles per charge that is more than enough for a commute to work then plug it in at work and its ready for the return journey !
Old 18-10-15, 09:10 PM   #8

Electric cars will always be held back by battery technology/chemistry and the cost of lithium batteries is huge. Ever noticed the battery life on you phone drops with time/ charges? That will happen with car batteries. And then there is the energy returned on energy invested which is why hydrogen will also be limited. All these technologies push the pollution somewhere else and often create more with the manufacturing than standard cars or engines do. For me it's like fair trade coffee....makes the middle classes feel good about themselves after spending a few quid extra. :LOL:
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-10-15, 09:17 PM   #9

You are in belgium you must see electric peugeots and citroens running around i know i did when i visited france

Peugeot have been making them for years its nothing new !

Yes batteries are the biggest issues but who really needs more than 100 miles per charge on a daily basis i can do 100 miles a day easily but NOT in 1 stint.

As i say people could change their routine to suit electric its just most see this 100 mile range as a problem when its not really
Old 19-10-15, 10:46 AM   #10

Belgium is the home of the fleet car (nearly 60%) and most are diesel. Hybrids and electrics are just being pushed now. Many people commute huge distances as a travel allowance for work is generally paid, so commutes of over 100km are not unusual.

For me, I often commute by bike as it is often quicker than by car even though I also have a company car
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in