diesel additive - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-05-19, 05:12 PM   #1

Default diesel additive

Had my 308 SW diesel 1.6 ( early 2013 ) for over a week now and am pleased with it, following this forum and asking around, I've learned quite a bit and am intrigued by the slightly mysterious fluid additive for the particulate filter. It's all new to me. My car has just passed sixty thousand miles and the mechanic that I've used for years said it's probably not in need of any and that it will tell me when it is ready for some, I have no worries or issues with that but curiosity dictates that I would like to know where on the vehicle the container is placed, can someone let me know?
melh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-19, 09:03 PM   #2

Under the car just in front of the LH rear wheel.

A full one normally lasts around 80k miles.
Old 20-05-19, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by melh View Post
the mechanic that I've used for years said it's probably not in need of any
It all depends how the car was used by the previous owner. The additive is injected into the fuel system every time the fuel cap is opened for fuel.

So if the previous owner was the kind of person to put a tenner in weekly then there's a good chance its empty.

Old 20-05-19, 12:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I imagine that the mechanic at my local garage advised me that it doesn't need any at the moment because there's no indication on the dashboard that it does, or am I being a bit simplistic?
On the whole, it seems to be a highly technical solution to the problems caused by fossilised fuels, but I'm more than a little surprised by the fact that the scientists adopted such a Heath Robinson approach to adding the mix to the fuel

Last edited by melh; 20-05-19 at 03:28 PM.
melh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-05-19, 05:35 PM   #5

When the car thinks it's running out of the fluid, it will tell you.

It's a clever solution to the particulates emitted by diesel engines. The filter removes them, and the Eolys fluid allows the ECU to clean the filter when it gets clogged by reducing the burning point, so the particulates can be burned off. Try sticking your finger up the exhaust to see how much soot is in there. Then compare to a petrol engine.
Old 29-05-19, 10:43 AM   #6

Gibbo is right. From what I hae found out from experience fluid called eolys is injected into the fuel tank (37.5ml) every time you remove your fuel filler cap. My 308 2010 1.6HDI lasted 130,000 miles. My issue was the engine management system/counters never warned me the eolys was empty and the DPF blocked! 80,000 is a fair distance, when you get to that consider refilling even if you dont get any wanrings. It was save you money in the long run. Dont forget to get the additive counter reset via pp though.
jack.jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-05-19, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by melh View Post
On the whole, it seems to be a highly technical solution to the problems caused by fossilised fuels, but I'm more than a little surprised by the fact that the scientists adopted such a Heath Robinson approach to adding the mix to the fuel
At least its not dumping loads of diesel into the oil like many other systems do (Audi and Mazda to name two).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in