Depollution System Faulty - Start idle slight judder - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-18, 11:09 AM   #1

Angry

Peugeot 308 Sport 120, 2008Reg, 98K mileage.

I started to get Depollution fault last November. 90K

November: Been driving so engine at normal temp. Was stuck in traffic jam on B road when Depollution System Fault came on display (MIL on) (Radiator fan came on and stalled) started engine DSF on display Car lost power on acceleration and went into limp mode. I managed to get off road. AA was called and no P code, just advised misfire but followed to local garage and booked in to be checked.

Garage replaced all 4 plugs and air filter and advised if this didn't sort the issue that it maybe that a coil may need to be replaced. The judder still there but intimately In the mornings and mostly on first start of the day when cold.

A couple of times over the months DSF came on, I believe mostly on initial start up of engine. (MIL off). Turned engine off straight the way and waited a couple on moments and re-started and all good but did have to apply slight acceleration.

In April, pulled up at friends and car in idle for a few minutes and Depollution System Faulty appeared on display (MIL on). Car lost power on acceleration and went into limp mode & stalled. (Tried to restart, Misfire and smoke came from exhaust)

AA called and advised from ODB P1340 (misfire on cylinder No.4), and advised new coil would be required but the machanic didn't seem to know which cylinder was No.4, confidence low at this stage. so he pulled connections and he advised 1-4 from fan belt side (even though I always thought and advised on these engines it would be 1-4 from gear box end). Coil changed, No spark plugs were checked at this time. I took car for a test drive and all seemed OK.

1 week later: whilst car in idle just for a few minutes. DSF came on display again and MIL (on) (Radiator fan came on and felt car shaking from engine running ruff.

AA called as only 1 week since fault. Advised P1340, advised what had happened previously and he checked all plugs and advised cylinder 1-4 from gear box end as I had thought. Confidence felt higher this time. He cleaned all plugs as slight residue on No.4 plug and replaced plug but 4 into 1, 1 into 4) check connections on coils and asked if burns oil. I advised yes, ruffly .5 - 1ltr per month but did depend on usage. He advised that these engines are the same as mini and have the same issue with oil and just one of those things and that the engine works on hydraulics. Was advised as I seemed to know a bit about engines that to keep a spare spark plug and tools in car just in case again and do what he did. Advised MIL would clear after engine run and turned off for more than 15 mins and on startup ecu check if all ok would turn off. All running ok and felt a bit more at ease as high mileage and old'ish car and just to carry spare plug, didn't feel an issue as long as didn't happen to often.

The next month I drove about 1.5K and all good a about 1 litre of old added over period but just a normal month.

Then 1 week ago had been driving out in the country and car running lovely. I pulled in to a country cafe area and after 30 mins went to go home. Tried to start engine and didn't even turn over so I checked the plugs and started, but me thinks just a fluke. DSF came on and (MIL on). Fan on and a new issue a rhythmic tap could be heard from the engine. Over the last month I had acquired a ODB2 general diagnostic from Amazon only around 20. And connects to iPhone. I turned engine to power on and ran diagnostic P1340 came on, misfire. As the tapping I thought best to call AA. Advised previous history and he replaced No 4 spark plug running 1-4 from fan belt. Advised I thought the other way round re type of engine etc. Advised nope. The car started but still tapping. Asked if I had dropped anything in the spark plug whilst changing in the passed. Advised of course not. He said sounds mechanical and expensive so would take to garage. As lost faith in garage just took it home. My Brothers friend came out the next day (would have been nice to know brother had a mechanic friend but that's typical lol.) he advised to get it to his garage about 3.5 miles away. I asked re tapping if ok to drive and advised just get it there. Next day got call to take out on dummy run as he had replaced all 4 spark plugs and tapping had gone and running lovely. He had took it out as well on test drive 10 mile round trip and all good.

I drove for a couple of days for about 50 miles and car had not been starting ruff from cold and different types of roads and even running AC, then on the 3rd day and whilst car at normal temperature I pulled in to get a drink as hot day and went to start engine and DSF & MIL came on fan etc. (Felt ill at this time). Ran ODB and advised P1338 so wow different code for cylinder 2. Advised friend and he advised get it to him and he would change cylinder 2 coil. On getting there I noticed that he had put the new other coil that AA had got into No.2. So questioned it and advised wanted to see if came up with different cylinder which it did. As it originally was in No.1 (correct order from left to right facing car 4,3,2,1) so looked like new coil to blame.

Replaced coil and started engine. Was lovely I drove about 10 miles around close by just in case and then pulled in to get drink (typical) started engine and idle felt a little low and then DSF came on fan etc. P1338 ( No.2) again?? OMG I thought. But not to question anyone's knowledge I just thought before taking it back to my mate to give general overhaul to find course that I would put first new coil in 3 just in case cylinder order did go the other way. Wow, after starting and clearing code it ran like a dream, so smooth and I was thinking get me I've done it. Big mistake. Pulled over after 20 miles and yes to get a cold drink and DSF fan MIL on etc and car sluggish and now tapping again. I spent 2 hours just trying different order of coils and each time getting P1338 code so on reflection thought it must be the plug on 2. So left in idle and pulled connections off in order I think it tried to cut out on each pull but by this time I'd had enough so advised friends garage that I would drive it back to him to look at. Only managed to go under 30mph as limp home mode and was only 7.5 mikes away from his.

I now wait on conclusion of mechanic now. I will advised once known!!!!

But in the mean time does anyone else have a literally a story to advise.

Last edited by Scorpion69; 11-05-18 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Checked model
Scorpion69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-18, 08:03 AM   #2

Sorted issue I believe! I think the hydraulic lifters might have stuck or even the tappers on one of the cylinders as I know if the is a issue with one of them then the ecu will shut down the coil and with the tapping sound I now have it all seems to fit. I used some Wynn’s Hydraulic Value Lifter “treatment in the oil” and some Wynn’s Catalytic & Lambda Sensor Cleaner in the petrol and filled petrol up to half way. Also clean all spark plugs as slight residue on cylinder 2 plug. I used the Sensor cleaner as did see a mention on a Oldershaw pdf file for the code P1340 as suggests Camshaft position sensor B malfunction. Not sure if this is the case but cleaning everything whilst car running seems logical. Anyway I drove 100 mikes yesterday and stopped 6 times but each stop I let settle for at least 5 mins. Started smooth and no fault. Also the pickup was to be honest WoW. So lovely to drive. I got home for a few hours and last night had to try again as was worried it could do it again. But no started smooth and ran like a dream. So touch wood I might have fixed it. I’ll post again to confirm either way in a few days. So could this be the solution!
Old 11-05-18, 11:09 AM   #3

I must say I was a bit confused as I don't know any HDi engines fitted with coils and plugs.

Old 11-05-18, 01:24 PM   #4

That’s what it’s registered as in log book. I’ve seen VTi mentioned as well somewhere but I just know it takes petrol and running lovely at the moment. Still happy.
Old 11-05-18, 09:45 PM   #5

You need to get the DVLA to change that. The HDi engines are diesel.
Old 11-05-18, 10:00 PM   #6

Oops don’t know where I got that from its 308 Sport 120, and still running great
Old 04-06-18, 04:15 AM   #7

I've added a additive to the petrol to clean system and get higher octane and not got fault once. I used one that needed atleast 30 litres and then filled up tank after putting in one that can be used with a full 60 litre tank. Cars been running lovely and since the oil helped the engine tap and made it quieter and the petrol additive has really helped. Feels like a new car. So after all that, looks like bad fuel. So happy now.
Old 04-06-18, 06:58 AM   #8

Nice post, I was getting ready to post sounds like the hydraulic tappets at fault! But you'd already fixed it in your next post. it was a known issue with sticky tappets on peugeots, my brother had a 206 Gti and would often run lumpy after start up, apparently there was a fix to swap the lifters for the earlier hydraulic tappets from a 306 Gti I think it was.. But he crashed it not long after so I never had to change them... Anyway, good fix!
CpLuAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in