Dash Cam Install - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-11-15, 07:59 AM   #1

Default Dash Cam Install

Hi Guys,

Settling in with my GT now and am looking to fit my dash cam and hard wire it in to the fuse box using a power magic box. Has anyone done this yet? I plan to use piggy back fuse holders but looking inside the fuse box access is cr*p. My fuse box is covered by wiring looms where I can barely get a hand past them. Is this standard? Im used to VAG fuse boxes at the end of the dash with loads of access. On the 308 i can barely see all the fuses. If i were to unplug the looms and refit after the install would this cause errors on the canbus?

Richie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RichieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-11-15, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieJ View Post
Hi Guys,

Settling in with my GT now and am looking to fit my dash cam and hard wire it in to the fuse box using a power magic box. Has anyone done this yet? I plan to use piggy back fuse holders but looking inside the fuse box access is cr*p. My fuse box is covered by wiring looms where I can barely get a hand past them. Is this standard? Im used to VAG fuse boxes at the end of the dash with loads of access. On the 308 i can barely see all the fuses. If i were to unplug the looms and refit after the install would this cause errors on the canbus?

Richie
Hi Mate,

I will be doing this on my 308 2014 Hatch in the next few weeks. One thing to check is that most of these dashcams run at USB (5V DC) so wiring them straight into the car may kill them, if not instantly, it may mess with them long term. You can get a 'step-down' connector to help with this like this one:

eBay step down voltage

One of the guys at work has a Vauxhall Ampera (Milk Float) and has fitted his dashcam to the constant live to his dome light. You generally find that there is one constant live up there (normally comes live when car is unlocked, or engine is started), and then other wires that turn things on and off.

I am hoping to do the same, push the step down into the roof lining and power the dashcam straight off the dome light power.

I will likely post a guide when its done.

Worth looking into though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-11-15, 09:06 AM   #3

My previous two cars I've run the cabling across the head lining by the windscreen, down the A pillar and then across the bottom of the dash. Plugging directly into the accessory socket, plugging it in each time I use it. Not wanting to do that this time, hence the hard wiring. I've got this device which utilises the parking mode without draining the battery too far or blowing the camera.

http://www.mi-witness.co.uk/Help_Gui...er_install.pdf

Didn't install it in my last car but I want to in the 308 for a neater install. It just look likes the fuses box and access to it are shocking.

RichieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-11-15, 09:33 AM   #4
Inactive User

Hi

My dashcam got its power from a mini-USB 5v, so my mechanic just ran that cable from the courtesy light next to the rearview mirror. It was on a 206 but you might have the right voltage available in a similar way. My camera was turned on whenever I turned the key, no matter if the light was on/off/on-when door-opens.

nplima
nplima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-11-15, 03:06 PM   #5

Just an update, I have just purchased a DashCam. Got the drivepro 200 of an amazon lightning deal for 59.99.

I like the look of this one, as it has a wireless network that you can connect your phone to, to change options and to view/transfer video files from.

Will be looking to install next week, will try and post pictures of how i connect it up in the end.

Old 23-11-15, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive User

Hi like the others suggested tuck along the headlining and tuck into the a pillar. On my 308 open the passenger door and prize the plastic cover off the side of the dashboard(the side that abuts the door when shut) this leaves amble room to connected stepdown inverter 12 to 5 v and a piggy 3amp fuse to the fuse that controls the interior light --forget which one now..there will be a time delay of a few seconds to switch off the camera because of the interior light time delayed off
stro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-11-15, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stro View Post
Hi like the others suggested tuck along the headlining and tuck into the a pillar. On my 308 open the passenger door and prize the plastic cover off the side of the dashboard(the side that abuts the door when shut) this leaves amble room to connected stepdown inverter 12 to 5 v and a piggy 3amp fuse to the fuse that controls the interior light --forget which one now..there will be a time delay of a few seconds to switch off the camera because of the interior light time delayed off
Im going to have a play this week, and either connect it up like you have mentioned, or if I can find a useful live up in the dome light area.

Just out of interest, where did you earth the dashcam if you take a live feed using a fuse tap in that area?

Old 26-11-15, 11:50 AM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMillard View Post
Im going to have a play this week, and either connect it up like you have mentioned, or if I can find a useful live up in the dome light area.

Just out of interest, where did you earth the dashcam if you take a live feed using a fuse tap in that area?
hi paul
will be interested in how this goes as a cam is on my xmas list,,so any info re install would be very useful
tripletdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-11-15, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletdad View Post
hi paul
will be interested in how this goes as a cam is on my xmas list,,so any info re install would be very useful
Will do! I'll be the Guinea Pig! If I have not been driven mad by this by the time I am finished, I will show you how its done! I am currently stuck at removing the trim off the A-Pillar!

I am 100% using a fuse tap now, and not messing around with the dome light again

Old 27-11-15, 01:04 PM   #10
Inactive User

Question

Out of curiosity, what dashcams are you guys/gals considering?

I used to have a very dodgy one from eBay, that probably cost less then 20 and didn't do a great job... the power button stopped working (it powered from the car ignition), the image quality was poor, the remote control was temperamental, etc.

I'm tempted by the Garmin nuvicam, the one that's embedded into the satnav device. This way it's only one cable and in once device that I can use in more than 1 car if needed. It's 254.90, which is not that far off the price from a branded dashcam + a garmin/tomtom satnav.

then there's the GoPro action cameras alternative, which can be used outside as well as in the car. all well north of 100...

@NP_Lima
nplima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in