Coolant related question... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-18, 01:30 PM   #1

Default Coolant related question...

Hey all sorry it seems like I have a problem every week.. but that is just what seems to keep happening!!!

So this morning I started driving to work and the low coolant level sign came on. I was a bit surprised as I filled it up to the Max on the 5th of February.. when i got to work I checked my coolant level and it was below minimum... Is this normal? I am sure this is meant to last for a while. What could be the reason for it? When I tried to go back home the engine was acting up and stalled at one point so had to emergency stop it and let the engine run for a bit as it was very cold and been off for 7 hours.

I have not seen any obvious leaks at all.. Normally I have my AC/Heating on Auto if that makes any difference. Could something be wrong with Coolant that is causing the depollution faulty system thing to come up the last few weeks! This is a headache.

Any experienced help would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 27-02-18, 02:52 PM   #2

Would certainly say its not normal to be losing coolant that quick, my motor is the 1.6vti petrol and its only lost about a quarter cupful in more than a year.
Check for signs of water in oil or oil in water which could point to losing it via a leaking cylinder head gasket. If that seems ok, it might be worth putting it in a garage for a few checks as most slow leaks are not obvious.
other members might have some other ideas.
(Dave) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-18, 03:00 PM   #3

Put a sheet of cardboard underneath the engine overnight. Have look in the morning for any antifreeze stains. You should lose virtually no coolant if the engine is working properly.

Roger.

Old 27-02-18, 09:24 PM   #4

Well you certainly have either a bad coolant leak, or just possibly you always had an air lock in the cooling system.
The leak will always show when the engine is warming up, as the coolant is expanding at this time. You don't get a leak after you stop as it's cooling and thus contracting.

Stick some radiator sealant stuff in the coolant tank then top up to the right level and run it , see if it drops again.
Important thing, since you know there might be a leak, don't just ignore it and wait for the message to come on. Lift the bonnet and look before driving.
Old 28-02-18, 08:16 AM   #5

Check the level when cold at least a few hours after running

Top it up to max

Check the bottom radiator hose clip

Run in the next day wait for it to cool and recheck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-02-18, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
Stick some radiator sealant stuff in the coolant tank then top up to the right level and run it , see if it drops again.
Important thing, since you know there might be a leak, don't just ignore it and wait for the message to come on. Lift the bonnet and look before driving.
I don't think this is a good idea. Modern engines and radiators have some very small coolant passages, this stuff can plug them.

Find out where the coolant is leaking from, and fix it properly.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in