Change gear knob - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chopper1192

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-13, 05:31 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Change gear knob

Hello,

I have searched for this but everything I have read doesn't work. I need to change the gear knob as its worn, do I need to remove the gaitor or just keep pulling on it?

I have tried pulling and twisting it with no gain. I have tried to get gaitor off but with no gain. Any help appreciated.
Guru86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-13, 05:52 PM   #2

Cut the knob off with a hacksaw down the middle - you're going to bin in anyway. Also stop you wrecking the gear stick by pulling too hard.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-13, 08:19 PM   #3

You can get the knob off by twisting it and eventually it will pull off. They can be really tight but twist it with some force and it will start moving. Release the bottom of the gaiter first though because it could be held on to the bottom of the knob with a cable tie (They are on the 307). The gaiter should unclip at the bottom. Does seem like something is going to break while you are prising it up but it comes out easy enough. If the 308 is anything like the 307, you need to prise up the end nearest the rear of the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-13, 08:51 AM   #4
chopper1192

Turn it 90 degrees either way and pull like you wouldn't believe. Be careful not to smack yourself in the face as it comes off. Directly interchangeable with quite a few others across the range - I used to have the accessory SP knob from a 207 on my 308.
trem1 likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-13, 10:04 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks I will keep going at it. I will try removing gaitor first.
Guru86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-13, 11:22 PM   #6
lki

The gaitor can be easily removed. I changed mine as soon as I bought the car as it had a small rip.

Place the fingers of each hand on either side underneath the rim at the base of the gaitor and give it a pull upward.

You will see the rim with the gaitor attached to it come out. If you then turn the gaitor inside out you will see the lower part of the knob that is hidden under the gaitor.

The sport knobs have a small screw on the side keeping them secure on the metallic gear stick. (that screw requires a hex key btw). I can't remember for the normal knob but as far as I remember it is a matter of pulling.
lki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-13, 09:46 AM   #7
chopper1192

My SP knob didn't have such a screw.
Old 03-07-13, 10:57 AM   #8
lki

This picture on ebay illustrates it better.

peugeot 308 genuine leather and alloy gear knob fits all models part no 9646g2 | eBay
lki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-13, 11:40 AM   #9
chopper1192

How buzzard. They sell that knob with a grub screw, and the SP knob without.

Indeed, why sell 2 types of different accessory gear knob at all?
Old 03-07-13, 11:56 AM   #10
Inactive User

Yeah just pull like nothing before using mole grips...Mind i nearly learnt my lesson by putting my face over it haha

reminds me of the time i used my gob to stop a recoil spring on a L85A2 or SA80 (rifle) to some.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in