Cam chain interval - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-16, 07:52 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Cam chain interval

Hello, I am new to these forums, and will possibly be an owner of a Peugeot very soon. I'm looking at getting a 58 plate, 308 1.6 vti se, this week. It has done approximately 51,000 miles, without any mention of the cam chain ever being replaced, in the service history. Does anyone know what the recommended age/mileage is for replacing one? I've heard of some nightmare stories of the chain stretching and snapping. roughly, how much would I be looking at getting it replaced ?

Thanks
Stujim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-04-16, 10:56 AM   #2
Inactive User

there isnt usually an interval for replacement. they are 'designed' to last the life of the engine,hence you only replace if they cause problems i.e rattling, out of time, excessive stretching etc.

VTI/THP engines do go through them more often but even then id just advise waiting until there are any issues or noises
adam19952013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-04-16, 10:59 AM   #3

I don't think 1.6 VTi has a chain, it is belt. Generally, car makers plans change after 100-150.000 km or every five years, which is first. You can find right info in car manual. Whit belt it is recommended to change pulley and water-pump as well.
Sinisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-04-16, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam19952013 View Post
there isnt usually an interval for replacement. they are 'designed' to last the life of the engine,hence you only replace if they cause problems i.e rattling, out of time, excessive stretching etc.

VTI/THP engines do go through them more often but even then id just advise waiting until there are any issues or noises
Oh, so it is chain in this engine? In this case you're right about replacement.
Sinisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-04-16, 11:11 AM   #5
Inactive User

yes the VTI and THP engines both stem from the PSA-BMW agreement and all use chains and the BMW variable valve timing technology to varying degrees

on a side note, watch for the oil consumption on the vti - they can drink up to 1L per 1000 miles
Old 24-04-16, 12:23 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam19952013 View Post
yes the VTI and THP engines both stem from the PSA-BMW agreement and all use chains and the BMW variable valve timing technology to varying degrees

on a side note, watch for the oil consumption on the vti - they can drink up to 1L per 1000 miles
Thanks for the info. First French car I've ever owned (or will be, pending an RAC inspection) , always had vauxhall or ford. 1 litre per 1,000 miles? That's a thirsty engine.
Stujim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-04-16, 01:11 PM   #7
Inactive User

yes they are, these and the THP engines all use a fair bit of oil, poor PCV design which was revised post 2010 (at least on THP engines) which helped, but still consume oil. 1L per 1000 miles should be worst case scenario, my THP uses about 600ml per 1000 miles. short journeys cause it to burn more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in