Antipollution Faulty warning and loss of power - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-19, 08:09 PM   #1

Default Antipollution Faulty warning and loss of power

Hello,
I'm new here. I have a 308 petrol 08 plate. (My 5th Peugeot)
I hope this is the right place to post problems?
The EWL is on, and on starting the Antipollution Faulty warning comes up.
Something intermittent is happening too. The fan sometimes comes on high speed, the 'antipollution faulty' flashes again. Sometimes, but not always, the engine starts to run rough/lumpy and loses power.
If I stop, turn off engine, wait for fan to stop - 5 minutes-ish, re start, the fan stays off and the engine runs fine again. Sometimes the fan comes on at initial start for the day, and I've tried turning off as above, and it doesn't come on the second time, or tried just driving to work (3 miles) and it's been fine and sometimes it's not.
I've done two longer 12 miles and 20 mile journeys over the weekend, and no symptoms (other than AP faulty)
This started about a month ago. (although I borrowed a friends car for some of that time)
Initially I took the car to my local garage, they said they knew what it was, did a service and said it was fine.

Fault still there on my way home, (including loss of power) . Rung garage they said return it in the morning, but overnight in speaking to friends several had had similar problems with the same garage - so I didn't, and Googled the problem.

I found this website, and took my car to the local 'Planet Peugeot' (very helpful man), a couple of days ago, so now have some codes (and a report) that perhaps you expert peeps could help me with please?
I am not experienced with cars and will have to take mine to a garage to have any but minor things done.
I can't afford for them to keep 'trying' ideas and not solve the issue!

Thank you for reading this long post x

P1337 Combustion misfiring on cylinder 1 fault
P1340 Combustion misfiring on cylinder 4 fault
P0011 Inlet camshaft dephasing fault
P11A8 Exhaust camshaft dephasing fault
P1336 Fault misfiring on unspecified cylinders

There is a report too. I can add that if that's helpful?
aoifa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-04-19, 08:06 AM   #2

Reads to me like a chain issue all those faults can be caused by the chain/tensioner being worn jumped teeth common issue with the so called BMW engine.
Old 16-04-19, 12:07 PM   #3

I'd go with the above, especially if its a 1.6 petrol.

Old 16-04-19, 01:10 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies. Reliable406 and Gibbo

It's a 1.4 petrol.
Does that make any difference?
Old 16-04-19, 03:07 PM   #5

Still the same engine !
Old 17-04-19, 01:32 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

Just gotta find a reliable garage to do the work.

Sorry to be uneducated about cars, but what exactly to I ask them to replace when I take the car to them.
Old 18-04-19, 05:37 AM   #7

All EP6 engines manufactured between 2007 to 2010 are effected with timing chain issue. Those symptoms show somewhere early or late depends on car maintenance and drive style. Best practice to replace timing chain components as precautionary maintenance and use correct oil grade 5w30 with 5k or 7.5k intervals.
Bemmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-04-19, 03:30 PM   #8

All EP6 engines manufactured you mean regardless of age !!
Old 18-04-19, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post
All EP6 engines manufactured between 2007 to 2010 are effected with timing chain issue. Those symptoms show somewhere early or late depends on car maintenance and drive style. Best practice to replace timing chain components as precautionary maintenance and use correct oil grade 5w30 with 5k or 7.5k intervals.
Dont know how true it is, but ive been told by a mechanic out in Backup, he breaks just peugeots too, I brought a cam cover off him, looked brand new, he told me that if you buy a decent kit, Febi, INA etc, once its been changed, its good for 80K miles, unlike the original that needed changing every 20K miles or so
Seanie280672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-04-19, 07:39 AM   #10

Get a cheap OBD2 bluetooth scanner off eBay and an app like Torque for your phone, this will give you engine management error codes. Don't trust Torque's decoding of the codes, google them instead.

Given your description "Antipollution alert, very rough running, loss of power" it's most likely an ignition coil. Good news it's a very cheap/easy fix.

First, try easy steps first. Pull off the ignition cables from the spark plugs and put them back on good and firm, give them a wiggle.

If that doesn't work, try swapping the coils around. The OBD2 error codes will tell you which cylinder has the faulty coil (P1337 through to P1340), and if that number changes after you swap the coils over, you've confirmed where the problem is. Buy a new ignition coil and swap the faulty unit out, problem solved.

If the number stays the same, time to check the spark plugs.

Problems with ignition coils have knock-on effects to other engine systems, hence the multiple codes. Fixing the ignition problem will most likely cure the other issues. Good luck!

This happened to my 207 CC a couple of times. Now I carry a spare ignition coil in the boot.

Last edited by capt_kremmen; 19-04-19 at 07:42 AM.
capt_kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in