308SW Spare Wheel Setup - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-18, 10:40 AM   #1

Default 308SW Spare Wheel Setup

My 2009 308SW has the spacesaver spare wheel taking up WAY too much space on the boot floor,as,of course,the Heath-Robinson designed Winch assembly has come asunder,and lies on top of the wheel! I wonder if any SW owners managed to simply fabricate a belt & braces method of securing the spare beneath the floor,without having to buy a new version of something designed to fail ?
Wilf308SW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-18, 01:57 PM   #2

The winches fail due to lack of use and sometimes missuse if your car is 2009 then thats not bad going if its only just failed a 307 SW/estate one will fit its the same winch only wheel insert is different.

They are not designed to fail they are just not designed to last or take the abuse by people unfamiliar winding them wrongly and tangling or breaking the cables.
Old 07-04-18, 02:26 PM   #3

Perhaps,I just yearn for the simplicity of the Spare-Wheel Holder on my 1996 106 Van...Difficult to see why Peugeot would want to move away from it ?

Old 07-04-18, 03:03 PM   #4

Weight saving is the simple answer and ease of assembly

The rack system needed 4 parts assembled in correct order winch can all be done at once time saved in production weight saved in use.
Old 07-04-18, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Weight saving is the simple answer and ease of assembly

The rack system needed 4 parts assembled in correct order winch can all be done at once time saved in production weight saved in use.
True,no doubt...However as I trawl through the Breaker Yards of 307+308 SW's,I'm struck by the lack of 2nd hand units,which must be telling Peugeot something ?
Old 07-04-18, 09:40 PM   #6

To be honest you will find most of the failures in later life are down to the aforementioned abuse not real failure of the part.

Similar winches are used in other peugeots and there has never been any real problem with them UNTIL they are older IE 2nd/3rd owners who may not read instructions before trying to wind it and if the cap that rotates is not pulled up properly the winch safety mechanism does not release it then gets all tangled.

Lack of regular use/maintainance also plays a part in failures as i say they are not that bad i have seen worse systems try releasing the spare on a clio mk3 !!!
Old 14-04-18, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
To be honest you will find most of the failures in later life are down to the aforementioned abuse not real failure of the part.

Similar winches are used in other peugeots and there has never been any real problem with them UNTIL they are older IE 2nd/3rd owners who may not read instructions before trying to wind it and if the cap that rotates is not pulled up properly the winch safety mechanism does not release it then gets all tangled.

Lack of regular use/maintainance also plays a part in failures as i say they are not that bad i have seen worse systems try releasing the spare on a clio mk3 !!!
That's them Japanese for you !!!!

To conclude the 308 Spare Wheel Winch issue...I fitted the new winch,but found the toolbox lid had a hairline crack,which required some bolstering with aluminium.Refitted the entire smoooooothly winding gubbins and immediately put 80 Km up on the odo...No reports yet of Peugeot Wheels or Tools littering the N81 from Dublin......Praise be !...Next chapter....the lack of folding on my Nearside Electric Mirror.....
Old 15-04-18, 10:50 PM   #8

The winch system on my 307SW never gave any problems in 175k miles and 13 years. It was easier to use too than the older cage system.
New 308 has it inside the boot, so it all has to be emptied if you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in