308cc Timing Chain - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-19, 02:36 PM   #1

Default 308cc Timing Chain

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and certainly new to Peugeots so hello and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

My partner as a 63 Plate 308cc which broke down on Friday, it had rattled a little bit when it was started then this went away, she drove off for a bit, the car lost power, juddered and came to a stop.

We got the AA to recover her who have taken it to a Peugeot garage, they have said that the timing chain is worn out and needs replacing, but that they can't be sure if there is any damage to the engine as it has low compression.

They have quoted around 1,500 to replace the timing chain and then they may still need to look at the engine which apparently will mean basically taking it apart. This is likely to cost 400 "ish". First off the 1,500 seems extortionate to replace a timing chain or am i missing something?

The car has done 43k miles so it's a bit of a shock that this has gone. However it is what it is.

What I'm wanting to know is, is it worth proceeding with getting the timing chain replaced and carrying on with this, the engine used quite a bit of oil before so I'm wondering if it had issues anyway?

Or is it going to be a case that it's better to get a replacement engine?

I have no idea how much a new/replacement engine would cost. Would any one have an idea of what this is likely to be? I've tried to search but I'm not sure of the engine code etc.

Its a 308cc 1.6 Roland Garros if that helps.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Jimbo1283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-06-19, 03:09 AM   #2

Sorry to hear of this. I have a 2010 308cc which has had the timing chain replaced three times, all under warranty and then under the extended Peugeot waranty I subscribed to. This is referring to my engine, the 1.6 THP, so it may not be correct for your engine but some of this may be helpful. I'm not sure if they changed the engine during the lifetime.

This "Prince" engine was also fitted to some Mini models. When my chain stretched the engine got rattly and, threw up the check engine with the "Depollution system faulty" message. Luckily my only symptoms were unresponsiveness/limp home mode but you can imagine by the third time I was almost used to it. I understand the fault is with the design of the timing chain tensioner which allows the chain to stretch. If yours doesn't run I would hazard a guess it may have suffered more serious damage than just the stretched chain.

This fault is well known about with this engine I would go back through the dealer with evidence of this (lots on google), quote their liability referring to manufacturing defects and see if Peugeot goodwill are prepared to do anything. You could ask if the chain has been changed before too. It was clear by the fact I have had three that they did not fix this for a number of years. It is a manufacturing defect and they still have a responsibility - proving it and getting them to act though may be another matter. It may need a professional engineers report to evidence it and potentially small claims court action if they stick to their guns.

Mine has done 96,000 miles and is a second car now so doing minimal mileage.

In terms of using oil, the engine does use approx 1L of oil every 1000 miles.

This is such a let-down as it's a great car other than that.
slimgym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-06-19, 03:23 AM   #3

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums...placed-326289/

This thread and others here also.
slimgym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in