308CC front end vibrating when top is down - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-15, 11:42 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308CC front end vibrating when top is down

Hi, I have a question for 308CC owners/drivers.

Whenever I drive with the roof down and windows up, the front end seems unsteady and vibrates, I'm not sure if this is due to turbulence? Its quite pronounced when I drive over 70kmh.

This is also felt if I drive with roof and windows down too, but slightly better.

Anyone feels the same? Or is there something wrong with my car?

Any help/advise appreciated!
wildfaye29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-15, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive User

Besides the above,

i) there is croaking sound from the front undercarriage when going over uneven surfaces

ii) when driving at high speeds (130kmh to 170kmh) the front end bounces unsteadily

Hope anyone here can help me to understand what might be wrong and what is the offending part that needs replacement.

Its a 2012 308CC 1.6THP. Currently 60K kms on the clock. Bought used recently from a used car dealer and unsure of its history.

Tia
Old 04-01-16, 01:51 PM   #3
Inactive User

Hi, I can't really be of any help with your problems, although I have a friend with a 308cc and she's commented on how light the front end gets with the top down.
She said it really struggles for grip, which I can only assume is because there is much more weight at the rear of the car.

Maybe this is just highlighting a more common issue with other 308's, except in the CC model it's more pronounced, I can personally only think of shock absorbers or suspension that could be at fault?
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-16, 05:22 PM   #4

Sounds as if it could be a structural problem, possibly consequent to accident damage not being correctly repaired. I suggest professional examination.
IanML is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-16, 10:09 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks both. Its ok, I know the 308CC population is very small, so not expecting very much owners in the forum.

The car has been checked and not accident damaged, thank goodness.

So I'm currently trying to figure out the front suspension - top mounts w bearings, droplinks, lower arm bushings, anti-roll bar bushings.

Hope these items are the ones causing the problem. Will post back when these have been troubleshooted.

Cheers!
Old 05-01-16, 02:23 PM   #6

Excessive bouncing suggests the dampers in the struts aren't working correctly. If you push down on the front wings and let go does it settle quickly or does it bounce a few times ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-16, 12:06 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Excessive bouncing suggests the dampers in the struts aren't working correctly. If you push down on the front wings and let go does it settle quickly or does it bounce a few times ?
Hi, nope the shock absorbers are fine, firm and not leaking too.

I'm very puzzled as to why it will bounce when I drive at high speeds!

I think other components to the suspension may be worn.
Old 24-01-16, 10:28 AM   #8
Inactive User

Coilovers have been fitted with new rubber top mounts on the front.

All suspension connections have been tightened and still the groaking sounds come about.

Hmm.
Old 28-02-16, 05:41 PM   #9
Inactive User

I have a 308cc 2.0 hdi. Cant say mine bounces at all, very smooth at any speed, no difference roof up or down. Yours is prob better with roof down as the cars weight has been shifted. I would check the obvious first, how long have you had the car? check tyre sizes, all tyres same size? correct tyre pressures, balancing.

It is possible to brake a spring, have done so on a previous car, took ages to find. You can break off the first 4inch piece at the top, have a good root around. Are the wheels in good order, no alloys been smacked at tyre shop.
Apart from that I would suggest suspension set up or worn mountings.
iasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-16, 01:02 AM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasha View Post
I have a 308cc 2.0 hdi. Cant say mine bounces at all, very smooth at any speed, no difference roof up or down. Yours is prob better with roof down as the cars weight has been shifted. I would check the obvious first, how long have you had the car? check tyre sizes, all tyres same size? correct tyre pressures, balancing.

It is possible to brake a spring, have done so on a previous car, took ages to find. You can break off the first 4inch piece at the top, have a good root around. Are the wheels in good order, no alloys been smacked at tyre shop.
Apart from that I would suggest suspension set up or worn mountings.
About 6mths since I bought it, now 70K kms.

Stock tyre size and XL rated and stock tyre pressures, wheel balancing and alignment properly done.

Wheels are not broken, suspension is not damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in