308 vti loss of power - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-15, 12:13 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 vti loss of power

Hi,

I've found stuff around about the 308 VTi Turbocharged model loosing power but we're getting it on my wifes 308 1600 petrol VTi NON turbo.

It's only done 50k, had regular servicing, recent oil and oil/air filters/plugs.
It idles fine, revs freely without load but under load it just has a massive honky induction noise but just no reel power- no juddering or misfire, just gutless.

There are no warning lights up, it's had different petrol including super unleaded, it's got oil, not using coolant, and passed MOT emmissions about 2 months ago.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

John
johnw69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-15, 02:11 PM   #2
Inactive User

Ha!, my better half has the same engine 308 with a loss of power issue too although I haven't experienced it losing all power like it apparently does. It would just lose power when driving.

I took off the air filter this morning and sprayed carburettor cleaner into the air intake whilst under 2k revs. Took it for a spin and power seems to have returned and tickover etc. is buttery smooth again now. I'll have to see how it goes.

I changed the plugs last week.

My tickover would occasionally blip so my fault may not be the same.

There are no de-pollution messages or anything either. I have not checked for codes.

Paul

Last edited by pjpj; 02-12-15 at 02:14 PM.
pjpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-15, 05:46 PM   #3

I've recently bought one of these with 63k. I drove 3 and they all have intake roar and compared to.my previous 1.6 astra h they are not as flexible at low revs. How are you finding the fuel consumption as I am a little disappointed compared to the astra. I only got 36mpg on long 300 miles trip where astra always did 42 mpg?
mookev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-15, 06:19 PM   #4
Inactive User

John, your issue maybe fuel filter blockage, I've no idea where that is. I shall be getting some fuel treatment too. This car ran well tonight when I drove to collect the boss. I'll try and update this thread at a later date.

mookev, I agree, not as efficient as the Astra. Average about 33mpg.
Old 03-12-15, 07:32 AM   #5

That's interesting, the car is quite a lot heavier than 6an astra h. How accurate is your mpg computer? I use trip 2 tank full to tank full a and when I got 36 mpg, trip 2 said 42.2 mpg!
Old 03-12-15, 07:43 AM   #6
Inactive User

I enter the fuel fill up details onto a spreadsheet, the trip computer says my average is 35mpg
Old 03-12-15, 11:16 AM   #7

What sort of journeys do you do?
Old 03-12-15, 12:30 PM   #8
Inactive User

mookev, 30% motorway driving with the rest mostly suburban.
Old 03-12-15, 12:59 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw69 View Post
Hi,

Put some carb/intake cleaner through it and it's now very upset.

The engine management warning light has come on with a warning message of 'depollution system faulty'. The rad fan also came on with the car not warm??

Still got sapped power.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

John
Isn't the rad fan controlled via a thermostat directly like most cars or does that go through the ECU on this car?

The warning message will remain for 20 or 30 starts after the fault it detected has cleared. I believe it will then go off.

Have you not got your fuel cleaner yet?

I was recommended to run it down to low fuel, put the treatment in, whizz it down the motorway and then refill with quality fuel.

Have you checked the spark plugs are new?

Last edited by pjpj; 03-12-15 at 01:03 PM.
pjpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-15, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpj View Post
mookev, 30% motorway driving with the rest mostly suburban.
Hi ya. After your message I checked the air and pollen filters. The air filter didn't look blocked but was discoloured but the pollen ( which I know does I affect fuel consumption) had half a hedge in it and was well old. I fitted bosch air filter and Mann pollen. Just done 340 miles return trip Surrey and it's achieved 43.5 mpg tank to tank with the trip computer saying 44mpg. Much better. Did round trip on under 3/4 of a tank. Interestingly the intake roar mentioned in earlier posts has virtually gone and car more responsive. This on a car with Peugeot main dealer service stamps on time throughout its life.. ive attached old and new photos of both filters air... pollen ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in