308 using lots of oil - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-02-16, 04:45 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 using lots of oil

Hi all, must confess long time since last post. My son has a 308 1.4 petrol done 36k on a 59 plate.
He has to top up the oil often approx a ltr every 800 miles. We gave the car a service, all filters, oil etc. No improvement.
He says he doesn't thrash it, but even if he did I think that wouldn't cause the prob? He drives approx 8 miles to work and also some longer distance journeys.
I can see no leaks under the car or oil around the engine bay, the oil filler cap is pretty clean, the coolant is a nice rose pink colour, and clean.
I beleive that this model has the 'prince engine' ??? which is known to burn a bit, but that much??

any ideas or things to try?
thanks in advance
iasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-16, 06:41 PM   #2
Inactive User

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine

If that's the same/similar engine as in the Mini's, they are known to drink oil for no good reason.
Old 22-02-16, 07:14 PM   #3

Yes prince engine is a bit of a drinker dealer rule of thumb is 1Lr per 1000miles is OK (my Daughters 1.6 does about 750ml per 1K miles )

Old 22-02-16, 10:05 PM   #4

Damn... how?! Is the user supposed to top the oil when topping the gasoline ? Is it in the manual ? How the hell??
daedric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-16, 05:19 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks all, talked to a mate who owns a mini, same thing drinks like a fish! dont change the oil, change the filter, oils always new!
iasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-16, 07:02 PM   #6
Inactive User

somewhat poorly designed PCV system whereby the vacuum of the turbo basically sucks oil filled vapours into the intake and burns it

catch can goes someway to reduce oil burn but it will just catch it in the can rather than burn it, youll still need to check it regularly
adam19952013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-16, 09:35 PM   #7
Inactive User

Hello, apologies for the hijack on this thread but it seems like the OP's issue is also relevant to me. We've got a 2010 308 1.6 petrol with about 34k on the clock. Wife noticed the 'top up oil' warning beeps and message today-and after I popped in half a litre of recommended oil, the warning is still present. Car was last serviced/MOT'd in September when we bought it second hand from a dealer we know well and trust. We've done a couple of thousand miles since buying-mostly short journeys. I was being cautious topping up as I know that over filling can be problematic but was I too cautious? Would putting the full litre in be risky in anyway? In addition, I found the dipstick is not clear at all when determining the level-compared to previous vehicles. Normal for Peugeots? Is there an absolute best practice other than level ground and cool engine?

Just to be clear, as it happens we park the car daily on a hill with the nose pointing down the hill always (wife's preference..) but I did the checks on level ground on a cool engine. No other issues with the car or its running is apparent to us at this point.

Any help on this issue would be awesome-I'm new to Peugeots and oil issues..

Last edited by Nickkk; 01-03-16 at 09:54 PM. Reason: More information:
Nickkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-16, 06:45 PM   #8

Default 3081.6 vti sport oil

My 61k 308 sport also uses oil at around 1200 miles litre. FSH nice clean oil etc. I think we have to accept it as part of the engine. I make a point of keeping it above 1/2 point on dipstick for safety but it is over a litre from top to bottom markings. Out of interest, do you know wht oil is in yours? its supposed to be special low saps. mine came with Mobil 1 esp 5w/30 which is 17.99 litre at halfords, 14 at euro car parts, both very expensive with this level of usage. Thinking of putting comma pro tech in it 22.99 5 litres, or millers xf 5w/30 @ 28.99 5 litres but dont want to skimp on oil and make it worse! thoughts?
mookev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-16, 08:28 PM   #9

I got a 30 Ltr drum of 0W30 fully synthetic TripleQX in the sale at ECP thought it may last a year or so for the Daughters car
Old 04-03-16, 08:36 PM   #10
Inactive User

yeah if you can get the ecp c2 spec 5w30 then go for it. otherwise, total ineo 5w30 is what i use, got 15L (3 x 5L containers) for about 60 from micksgarage i think it was.

worth buying in bulk seeing as it burns through it so quickly
adam19952013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in