308 SW won't start - advice needed - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-17, 05:45 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 SW won't start - advice needed

Hi all, my first post in here and I'm desperately looking for help. But first, a brief history of the car for reference.

I purchased an '09 Peugeot 308 SW in Feb 2016 from a private seller. Immediately had the rear discs and pads changed (which ever since has caused an ABS/ESP fault to display, but that's another issue for another time). After a few weeks I noticed an error message display something along the lines of 'potential diesel particulate filter block'. No problems until the November of 2016, when the clutch broke. Car sat for around 2 months over the winter, had the new clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted in the January, and car was working again, although had lost power and was intermittently failing to start, although drove fine once going. Assumed battery, so had a new one fitted around Feb/March, car still had intermittent start, but that went after a few days. Car still had barely any power (30mph uphill at best, could reach speed if on flat ground eventually).

Fast forward to last Monday, I assume turbo fault due to excessive smoke and soot in the engine bay, take it to a local garage who rip out a large metal cylinder, advise me it's filled with soot and they can open it, clean it out and reattach, which will restore power. I've since found out this was the catalytic converter and they shouldn't have done that, but I'm the least mechanically sound person and 60 to 'resolve the issue' sounded delightful. As soon as I got in the car didn't start, just one single click in the fuse box. Turned the key again and it started, assumed just a freak occurrence. did the whole intermittent starting thing again a further 3 times throughout the week, flashed an anti pollution warning at me a few times, then on Sunday, after using it throughout the day, I went to start the car on the evening and it didn't start. Waited, tried again, waited, tried again, waited, tried again, but nothing. Left it overnight tried again, could still hear the single click in the fuse box with no starter motor clicking, then came the economy mode active warning, no longer any clicks from the fuse box and no starting. Tried today to jump start in case the alternator was broke and the battery wasn't charging, but still nothing and eco mode still active.

Looking for any suggestions/advice/help on this, as I've sunk too much money in the car to scrap it

Thanks to any and all replies,

Nick.
ennhaych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-05-17, 05:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum Nick,

First things first, what engine - 1.6, 2.0....? And I'm assuming it's a diesel?

The anti-pollution message is the cars way of telling you there is a problem with the engine. It must be looked at as soon as possible - ideally when it first appeared. Otherwise there can be some nasty problems causing a lot of grief and expense.

It is a generic, "catch-all" message, so doesn't relate to a specific fault, there could be a number of issues.

The garage were probably only half right - the filter may have been blocked, but there could be an underlying issue causing the filter to block.

What you need to do is get the car on Diagbox - search this thread for a member local to you and contact them to help you with live data and diagnostics.

If you've had the anti-pollution for over a year, I'd suggest getting the car diagnosed ASAP!
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-05-17, 05:58 PM   #3

Regarding the starting issues, it sounds like there could be an electrical fault. Perhaps something hasn't been reconnected properly when the clutch and flywheel were removed.

Check all the earths, straps and battery terminals.

Try this test;

- Put key in ignition
- Attempt to start the car.
- Turn the key to the "off" position and leave it in the ignition.
- Open the drivers door with the key still in the ignition

The car should beep at you to tell you the door is open and the key is in the ignition. Let us know if the car beeps or not

Old 23-05-17, 06:04 PM   #4

As jimmy says the garage WERE on the right track cleaning the DPF/CAT but there is no point doing that without fixing the REASON it got clogged in the first place

Eco mode is BECAUSE its not starting not the cause ignore that it does not matter it will g once it does start

I recon either you have a bad connection a bad battery or a bad starter.

Last edited by reliable406; 23-05-17 at 06:06 PM.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-05-17, 06:12 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for the fast replies guys, the car is a diesel, full model is 1.6 308 SW HDI 110 Sport.

Tried the test with the key Jimmy, no beeping sounds at all from the car.

Last edited by ennhaych; 23-05-17 at 06:17 PM.
Old 23-05-17, 06:13 PM   #6

Get the battery load tested too. If it's never been changed then a dieing battery will cause all sorts of weird electrical issues that are quite often resolved by simply fitting a healthy battery.
My bet is that you have a 1.6HDi. If you do then what the garage did to clean the DPF is probably correct to a point. The CAT and DPF are combined and can usually be split, with the DPF being the lower half of the cylinder, which can then be clean, reinstalled and Peugeot Diagbox can then be used to tell the ECU a clean DPF is now fitted. You then need to diagnose the cause of the blocked DPF filter, such as checking the Eolys pouch is not empty, magnets and sensor at the fuel cap end are present and working, glow plugs ok, cooling system ok.
Where are you located?

Edit: was typing this out before the last few replies were posted!
Eccles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-05-17, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennhaych View Post
Thanks for the fast replies guys, the car is a diesel, full model is 308 SW HDI 110 Sport.

Tried the test with the key Jimmy, no beeping sounds at all from the car.
What engine size bud?

Have you done anything to the key?

You definitely need the car on diagbox. The car isn't starting because the key isn't recognised by the car. This could be because the battery may be too low or because the battery has been disconnected incorrectly.
Old 23-05-17, 06:28 PM   #8
Inactive User

Sorry mate, forgot to add engine size is 1.6 - just added that bit into the above message. Not done anything to the key, but honestly don't recall the beep having ever been there. Tried with the spare key also with no beep. Thanks for the link to the guys with diagboxs, just messaged the fella local to me.
Old 23-05-17, 06:30 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
Get the battery load tested too. If it's never been changed then a dieing battery will cause all sorts of weird electrical issues that are quite often resolved by simply fitting a healthy battery.
My bet is that you have a 1.6HDi. If you do then what the garage did to clean the DPF is probably correct to a point. The CAT and DPF are combined and can usually be split, with the DPF being the lower half of the cylinder, which can then be clean, reinstalled and Peugeot Diagbox can then be used to tell the ECU a clean DPF is now fitted. You then need to diagnose the cause of the blocked DPF filter, such as checking the Eolys pouch is not empty, magnets and sensor at the fuel cap end are present and working, glow plugs ok, cooling system ok.
Where are you located?

Edit: was typing this out before the last few replies were posted!
Battery was changed a few months back at Halfords, also your guess was right, it's a 1.6 HDi. I'm located in Redditch, Worcestershire.
Old 23-05-17, 06:38 PM   #10

Worth a BSI reset. Search for the BSI reset procedure on here. Sounds as though your need the keys relearned and then go from there (providing the battery really is charged and healthy and the earth straps are all ok).
Eccles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in