308 power loss problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-12, 01:06 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 power loss problems

I own a 57 plate Peugeot 308 1.6 sport with only 35,000 on the clock - Its been regulary serviced and well looked after, but recently I have been suffering loss of power - There are no warning lights lit up on my dashboard, but I can barely get over 3000 revs on the road (going up hills is a struggle, and overtaking on a motorway is impossible). The engine sound is loud and there is just no bite.

I've recently had two diagnostics (one independent, one by a peugeot main dealer) but the diagnostics came back clean on both occassions. I've had conflicting advice from mechanics and I wanted to know if this is a common problem with the peugeots that is easily identifiable before I spend a lot of money trying to get to the route of the problems.

Please help.
Gav308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-12, 06:59 PM   #2
Inactive User

Unhappy

I am having the same??
Got a 308 2L diesel GT
Was told it was a regeneration issue! Had a forced regeneration done but still got the problem.. Car is going to dealer for a service on Tuesday hopefully this will help.. Also read many threads of a possible ECU fault?? Thinking this may now be the issue as I am now having problems staring the car and the Tyre sensors..

Good luck
Dave
bealy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-12, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive User

All these regen issues are a big part of why I drive a petrol 308 rather than my previous diesel 307.

Old 06-02-12, 03:18 PM   #4
Inactive User

Default Power loss issues - any more solutions?

I'm driving a petrol engine, and this is the first time anyone has mention 'forced regeneration' (so I'm not entirely sure what that is, if you can enlighten me great). I've had my ECU updated and that didn't effect anything, it may be different in your case.

The other things people have mentioned to me offline are:
1. The timing chains.
2. The thermometer.

But apparently both are costly to check out.
Gav308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-12, 04:19 PM   #5
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyStorm View Post
All these regen issues are a big part of why I drive a petrol 308 rather than my previous diesel 307.
They're genrally not an issue to people who use them properly, ie, don't regularly do journeys of under 6 miles. TBH, it's not as if the Prince motors are renowned for their unburstability.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-12, 05:24 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
They're genrally not an issue to people who use them properly, ie, don't regularly do journeys of under 6 miles. TBH, it's not as if the Prince motors are renowned for their unburstability.
Well my daily routine was a journey 22 miles one way involving 15 mins at motorway speeds, then the same back at night. Yet I often reached my destination to find the fans switch on (with normal temperatures) as the regen had not completed.

I also ran out of Eolys at only 48k.

Quote:
I'm driving a petrol engine, and this is the first time anyone has mention 'forced regeneration' (so I'm not entirely sure what that is, if you can enlighten me great).
Regen is something that regenerates the particulate filter on diesels. So not applicable in your instance.
Old 06-02-12, 06:58 PM   #7
chopper1192

Yours has some kind of major problem there Johnny-O. Surprised you left it do long the ELOYS ran out.
Old 07-02-12, 02:37 AM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
Yours has some kind of major problem there Johnny-O. Surprised you left it do long the ELOYS ran out.
Im not quite sure what you were surprised about, but the Eloys never actually became completely empty if that's what you are saying. The fan running at strange times happened from the car being new.

It cost 300 to refill it. At which point I was asking the dealer who designs a car that needs such an expensive liquid that is do difficult to refill it costs so much? (I know the dealer didnt design it)

This coupled with the fact petrol does 41 mpg, diesel is 5% more expensive, petrol service interval is 20k diesel is 12k and a diesel version of my car (308) would have cost me another 2500. I think I will spend 500 a year more on fuel at the most. So just the cost of the car would take 5 years to repay. I decided the diesel bs was not worth it in future.
Old 07-02-12, 08:59 PM   #9
davidireland

Quote:
Well my daily routine was a journey 22 miles one way involving 15 mins at motorway speeds, then the same back at night. Yet I often reached my destination to find the fans switch on (with normal temperatures) as the regen had not completed.

I also ran out of Eolys at only 48k.

Regen is something that regenerates the particulate filter on diesels. So not applicable in your instance.
There is a software update for the fan running on problem.
Old 07-02-12, 09:33 PM   #10
chopper1192

Quote:
At which point I was asking the dealer who designs a car that needs such an expensive liquid that is do difficult to refill it costs so much?
Erm...

Because the EU have introduced awesomely prohibitive particulate emissions limits - no one sells a diesel in the EU above 90BHP without some kind of DPF any more. without some kind of sock up the exhaust, or some breakthrough in combustion physics, it simply ain't possible to meet those targets.

And if you think the "wet" ELOYS style FAP is a pain, you should try some of the dry DPF systems that some other manufacturers use. Sure, they sidestep the ELOYS concerns but then block in less than half the time instead as they never has a periodic regen cycle, and they have to be replaced anew as there's simply no way to clean what has become a solid piece of carbon.

You don't like it you can always go back to petrol - sure you'll use more fuel, but you avoid the expense of DPF maintenance as the car ages. Any buyer who did their homework instead of rushing to the shop eagerly clutching their piggy bank would know this.

Your question above is one you could easily have asked before you bought the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in