308 Hatchback moving left. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-08-11, 07:04 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 Hatchback moving left.

Hi,

I am in UK and I have purchased Peugeot approved 308 hatchback (2008 model) a week ago. In a week drive I realised that my car moves slightly left while moving. I need to keep my steering straight with little pressure.
Yesterday I have asked my Peugeot dealer to check it. Dealer's Mechanic told me that there is no problem in the car. It is normal in Peugeot as they move left slightly, company has made it deliberately like this so that in case drive sleeps car will move in left rather than hit someone middle or opposite side of the road.

Somehow I am not satisfied with the answer. Could you share your point of view, is it normal in Peugeots to move slight left while driving.

Thanks in advance,

JM
pdacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-11, 07:47 PM   #2
Inactive User

Sounds a lad of bull that to me get it 4 wheel digital aligned at tyre fitters then make sure you ask for written report or put your foot down get peugeot to do it have you checked its not been accident repaired?
Old 18-08-11, 07:50 PM   #3
chopper1192

Normal. Fat tyres, fairy heavy car for it's size, plus a nearside UK camber make a slight tendency to drift left if you relieve pressure from the wheel. The new Astra I'm driving this week is much the same, requiring a light touch to keep it dead straight on most roads. Any car that tracks dead straight on a camber isn't set up properly.

That's laughable about it being a deliberate design feature to prevent head on accidents - your dealer talks some bollocks!

Anyhoo, provided your tyre pressures are spot on and your tyres are less than half worn, you almost certainly can relax, nothing to worry about.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 18-08-11, 08:05 PM   #4
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
Any car that tracks dead straight on a camber isn't set up properly.
Aren't all roads cambered slightly though?? And if so, I must have driven dozens of cars who aren't set up correctly.... every car I've ever owned has always been able to track straight without any hands on the wheel at all, including my 407 now..... not that I drive without hands on the wheel, just as a test
Old 19-08-11, 01:13 AM   #5
JazzJPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
Normal. Fat tyres, fairy heavy car for it's size, plus a nearside UK camber make a slight tendency to drift left if you relieve pressure from the wheel. The new Astra I'm driving this week is much the same, requiring a light touch to keep it dead straight on most roads. Any car that tracks dead straight on a camber isn't set up properly.

That's laughable about it being a deliberate design feature to prevent head on accidents - your dealer talks some bollocks!

Anyhoo, provided your tyre pressures are spot on and your tyres are less than half worn, you almost certainly can relax, nothing to worry about.
I know you say it's laughable but I heard that cars slightly veer to the left in order to prevent accidents in the case of sleep/paralysis etc.

Although I'd have to side with the camber of the road being the deciding factor there, rather than the car setup.

Is the whole road a very slight arc? Or just the edges? (a little side-question)
Old 19-08-11, 09:59 AM   #6
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJPH View Post
I know you say it's laughable but I heard that cars slightly veer to the left in order to prevent accidents in the case of sleep/paralysis etc.
Problem is, overtake and move the car on to the adverse camber and the effect is reversed, so that's just myth.

On a dead flat surface they don't do it, but on cambered UK roads they do. It's normal. Any car that tracks true on a camber has something wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
Aren't all roads cambered slightly though??
Not by a long chalk, unfortunately, though newer roads tend to be.
Old 20-08-11, 09:58 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks guys.. Looks like its normal in Peugeot... I am bit relaxed now..
pdacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in