308 GTI - flat spots in 1st - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-11, 12:30 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 GTI - flat spots in 1st

I have a new 308 GT 1.6 THP 200 (badged as a 308 GTI even tho' they said they wouldn't). Overall I am pretty chuffed with the car but have a problem that comes and goes - flat spots in first gear. Every now and then, I put my foot down to pull away from a junction etc and not a lot happens. The revs climb as usual but acceleration is almost non existant. Going up to second seems to cure the problem, although I have had one occasion when it was 1st, 2nd & 3rd. This happens about once during a commute to work (15 miles) and can happen at any time, hot or cold. The car has done about 2000 miles and is 2 months old. The dealer has had a look at it when it had it's 1000 mile service but couldn't find a fault. Any ideas?
philjhay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-11, 05:49 PM   #2
davidireland

Did they try for a engine management software update.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-11, 06:01 PM   #3
Inactive User

As I understand it they drove the car around for a bit and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I said I'd monitor it for a further 1000 miles and take it back if the problem was still there. Mind you, I'm not too keen on their next proposed course of action - apparently the senior technician will take my car home with him and drive it with the computer plugged in to see what occurs

Old 14-06-11, 11:05 AM   #4
mal
Inactive User

Been there, done that. The 1.6 turbo petrol used in the 308 is widely known for loss of torque. The 308 I had has been sitting in a garage for 3 months after engine #2 failed after 12,000km along the same lines as engine #1 at 42,000km, with the same symptoms as you've outlined.
Apparently Peugeot Malaysia is calling the shots, and doesn't know what to do with it.
Not my problem anymore.
mal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-06-11, 09:00 AM   #5
Inactive User

Having owned the same type of engine in a 207gt albeit not as powerfull i found that the engine was smooth and refinded when driving, but i felt as if i couldnt trust it. had a few issues maninly a intermitent vibration from deep within. Could feel it through the clutch pedal and even back seat of car !!
dealer was reluctant to hazard a guess to the fault even tho it had been in 4 times !!! and im convinced it was cluctch related or release bearing.

only time when they had it for 2 days it came with extra 77 miles on the clock and almost 7 galleons of fuel used !! work out the maths yourself........ just make sure dealer dont take the piss with it. mine did !
frazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-06-11, 11:28 AM   #6
davidireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazer View Post
Having owned the same type of engine in a 207gt albeit not as powerfull i found that the engine was smooth and refinded when driving, but i felt as if i couldnt trust it. had a few issues maninly a intermitent vibration from deep within. Could feel it through the clutch pedal and even back seat of car !!
dealer was reluctant to hazard a guess to the fault even tho it had been in 4 times !!! and im convinced it was cluctch related or release bearing.

only time when they had it for 2 days it came with extra 77 miles on the clock and almost 7 galleons of fuel used !! work out the maths yourself........ just make sure dealer dont take the piss with it. mine did !
Think theres info on clutch vibration on these.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-06-11, 06:43 PM   #7
Inactive User

My wife has got a 207GTI with the 175bhp engine and there is no problem there. The acceleration is smooth and linear every time. My 308 behaved itself for about a week but has started playing up again. It lulls you into a false sense of security and then without warning refuses to accelerate in first (usually when you need to get away quickly!). This is usually resolved by changing up to 2nd and putting my foot down - the turbo seems to suddenly wake up and we're away. I have started to notice the occasional lag in other gears, but it's most noticeable in 1st. Am reluctant to take it to the garage for them to thrash it around trying to reproduce the reported fault.
Old 08-07-14, 07:39 AM   #8
Inactive User

I have a similar problem - 2011 GTI. Keeping revs up slightly before pull-off seems to do the trick for me. Not ideal, but hey...
308GTI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-14, 12:56 AM   #9
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 308 THP petrol

Had this problem on and off with this car when just bought it. Dealers could not diagnose issue as no codes were shown. Faulty anti-pollution system message came up and check engine light. Changed both oxygen sensors after codes indicated faults with these but problem continued.. car was not accelerating smoothly and had low power especially on slopes.
This got worse until total engine failure at 22,000 km, tensioner/timing chain failure, bent valves . Seems the timing had slipping all along. Car is out of warranty.

This is the worst POS car I have ever owned
machone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-14, 05:13 AM   #10
Inactive User

Whoa...that is brutal. And there were no other warning signs prior to this happening?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in