308 Gear knob and Gaiter - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-12, 11:37 AM   #1
Inactive User

Talking 308 Gear knob and Gaiter

Hi all,
1st time poster long time reader!

I have reecently bought a 308 that needs a new gear knob and leather gaiter becuase the only one looks shabby and is ripped.

Does anyone have any idea how to change the gaiter and where I can actually get the official gear knob from the internet? Dont fancy going to a Peugeot garage and getting f*&^3% on the price.

Apparently you just pull like mad to get the gear knob off...

Thanks for your time guys

Rich
richard2233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-12, 06:07 PM   #2

Yep - just pull and twist - the knob that is - I mean the gear knob in your car.

A citroen picasso gear knob will fit - these are much more stylish than the peugeot ones. I've got a plastic wood one on my motor from a picasso (check out the 'Ride of the month' thread - you can see a piccy of it there).

Also got a leather gaitor from evil bay - looks like the seller used the pattern from an original - as its a perfect fit.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-03-12, 11:04 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
Yep - just pull and twist - the knob that is - I mean the gear knob in your car.

A citroen picasso gear knob will fit - these are much more stylish than the peugeot ones. I've got a plastic wood one on my motor from a picasso (check out the 'Ride of the month' thread - you can see a piccy of it there).

Also got a leather gaitor from evil bay - looks like the seller used the pattern from an original - as its a perfect fit.
Thanks for the reply.
Is the gaitor hard to get off or does it just pull off also? I can only think the woman who owned the car before me used stupidly sharp nails that could cut through leather!

Old 19-03-12, 11:28 PM   #4
JazzJPH

I've not had a 308, but if the gaiter goes under the plastic then you need to remove that plastic. If it kind of bulges round and looks like it is sitting on top of the centre console plastic then you need to pull it carefully and firmly. If it's that bad why not just cut into it (providing you have a replacement ready) and inspect how it will come out.

Personally I would much rather ruin a crappy gaiter than snap clips off the plastics.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-03-12, 11:36 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJPH View Post
I've not had a 308, but if the gaiter goes under the plastic then you need to remove that plastic. If it kind of bulges round and looks like it is sitting on top of the centre console plastic then you need to pull it carefully and firmly. If it's that bad why not just cut into it (providing you have a replacement ready) and inspect how it will come out.

Personally I would much rather ruin a crappy gaiter than snap clips off the plastics.
You have a point, I dont have the new gaitor ready but I am going to have to do something shortly. I'm just trying to do research into it first before I knacker something. Might be an idea to cut into it now mind, at least that way it would force me to do something with it!!
Old 19-03-12, 11:41 PM   #6
JazzJPH

Aye bud, unfortunately you'll probably not get as much advice on a 308 as you would on a 307/206 etc. but personally I like to find out new things.

Unfortunately I have snapped one or two clips in my new Astra. Because I know I've snapped them it grinds on me all the time because the car is now kinda damaged in a way, but that may be just me.

If I were in your shoes I would go on eBay and buy a decent gaiter off a decent seller. When it arrives I would cut into the old one, get a torch and look at exactly how it fits on. It's interesting to learn new stuff!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-03-12, 09:23 PM   #7
Inactive User

You and I sound very similar. There has been many an occasion I have tried to make something better or I have just been curious and have ended up making it worse which has then really grated on me. Plus side is I have learnt many a valuable lesson.... Shame I keep forgetting

Thanks for your posts!! I'll update this thread if I find out anything interesting for future great knob enthusiasts
Old 04-05-12, 04:59 PM   #8
Inactive User

I've replaced my knob (haha) with a 207 Sport version as the 308 offerings were awful. It's the leather one with alloy shaft and leather ball.

To remove it - twist clockwise and pull firmly on the gear knob. It comes off with some persuasion! Replacement is the opposite. Nice straight forward job
sucmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in