308 1.6 VTi Prince Timing Chain - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-19, 06:24 PM   #1

Default 308 1.6 VTi Prince Timing Chain

Hi I have a 308 58 plate that has developed the common timing chain problem with these engines, so before I spend money on the repair, was wondering if anyone could give me any advice?

If I left the current timing chain as it is, would it eventually fail completely? And is there any damage being done to the engine with the faulty chain?

I get intermittent EML light sometimes it will be on for a few days then it will go off for two weeks. It's also thirsty for oil.

Other than the odd stall, usually when stopping (revs just die out no stutter or nothing) it runs ok.

Thanks.
Pcurr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-19, 07:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcurr View Post
Hi I have a 308 58 plate that has developed the common timing chain problem with these engines, so before I spend money on the repair, was wondering if anyone could give me any advice?

If I left the current timing chain as it is, would it eventually fail completely? And is there any damage being done to the engine with the faulty chain?

I get intermittent EML light sometimes it will be on for a few days then it will go off for two weeks. It's also thirsty for oil.

Other than the odd stall, usually when stopping (revs just die out no stutter or nothing) it runs ok.

Thanks.
I have a 1.6 2008 VTi Petrol, first of all I have to ask you......what common timing chain problem ?

Realistically, the timing chain, unless you've been really unlucky, should never need changing or at least until approx 200K miles, mine however currently has 85K miles on it, and in the service manual had the timing chain changed at 65K miles, which I find very very strange as to why it needed a chain at such low mileage, however, the previous owner was very dishonest and the car had many small underlying faults with it, so im not sure if he's just written in himself (timing chain and sprockets changed) at the service interval stamp in the book.

Enough of that anyway, two of the faults which quickly showed themselves is I was loosing or burning oil, and also the same as you, car just used to just cut out randomly without warning, not stall or anything like that, just simply die, there wasnt a problem re-starting it, but it just died, are you loosing oil or burning it, that would be my first concern ?

The oil problem turned out to be the lower oil filter housing seal, its a pain to change and took me 2 hours, apparently a common fault on petrol 308's, you need to remove the bottom plastic engine cover, the exhaust manifold and the cat to get to 2 of the 4 bolts holding it on as some clever idiot decided to put 2 of the bolts mounting the housing behind the back exhaust heat shield, and wish I had of known in advance, but also drain your coolant, strange I know, I wasnt expecting that, but I lost about half a litre of oil when I removed the housing, and pretty much all of my coolant as this also passes through the housing on another channel built into the housing.

The cutting out problem for me turned out to be a top sensor, not the cam sensors though, I forget the name of them though, theres 2, one at the front of the engine and one at the back, removing them and cleaning them along with a good engine flush and oil and filter change fixed that problem, its not happened again since.

The sensor responsible for the cutting out is in the picture highlighted in red below, I forget what they are called though, sorry, theres 2 of them though, 1 at the front of the engine and one at the back.
Attached Thumbnails
maxresdefault.jpg  

Last edited by Seanie280672; 26-01-19 at 07:59 PM.
Seanie280672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-01-19, 07:52 PM   #3

Google Peugeot 1.6 timing chain issues, here's one result. Minis also affected, same engine.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...sues.18799307/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot

Last edited by mooi1uk; 26-01-19 at 08:04 PM.
mooi1uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-01-19, 08:57 PM   #4

Hi thanks for the replies, yes I have googled the issue it is common on this engine however just wondering if anyone has got away with just leaving it as it is.

Seanie - mine has only done 59k and it is showing up so 65k for yours seems about right and judging by what others have experienced online. Apparently it happened so much they either abandoned this engine or updated it to a belt design later on.

I probably will just get it sorted as it's a nice car with low mileage but it's a rather expensive fix.
Old 26-01-19, 09:06 PM   #5

Seanie forgot to say as well it's not burning oil i.e no smell or blue smoke or anything apparently it is normal to use more oil when the chain is worn.

There's no oil on the floor when parked or anything so no idea where the oil is going but the oil light comes on about every 900-1000 miles and I check it and top it up.
Old 26-01-19, 09:56 PM   #6

The timing chain issue is supposed to have been addressed on later engines, I understand the issue on earlier engines was due to stretching of the chain as it was too narrow for the job but revised parts are now fitted. I hope so anyway as I have a 1.6 THP myself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26-01-19, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
The timing chain issue is supposed to have been addressed on later engines, I understand the issue on earlier engines was due to stretching of the chain as it was too narrow for the job but revised parts are now fitted. I hope so anyway as I have a 1.6 THP myself!
Mine is the 1.6 16v VTi EP6 engine, 120BHP 88kw, is it the same problems.
Old 26-01-19, 11:05 PM   #8

I believe the problem was worse on the THP turbo version although it still occurred on the VTi as far as I know but to a lesser extent.

Last edited by mooi1uk; 26-01-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 26-01-19, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
I believe the problem was worse on the THP turbo version although it still occurred on the VTi as far as I know but to a lesser extent.
Sorry, dont mean to hijack this thread, but mine sounds a rattly first thing in the morning when I first start it up, sounds a bit like a diesel, but quite quickly quietens down, it doesnt seem to use or burn any oil any more since changing that oil filter housing seal, and I put some top quality oil in it, Magnatec Easy Stop Start 5w-30, ive read cheap oil just makes things worse, I just figured the noise was whilst the chain was dry at the top and circulating the oil / lubrication first thing, give it a min or 2 and it quietens down.
Old 27-01-19, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanie280672 View Post
Sorry, dont mean to hijack this thread, but mine sounds a rattly first thing in the morning when I first start it up, sounds a bit like a diesel, but quite quickly quietens down, it doesnt seem to use or burn any oil any more since changing that oil filter housing seal, and I put some top quality oil in it, Magnatec Easy Stop Start 5w-30, ive read cheap oil just makes things worse, I just figured the noise was whilst the chain was dry at the top and circulating the oil / lubrication first thing, give it a min or 2 and it quietens down.
Mine is rattling constantly even when fully warmed up. To be honest not much difference to the sound of a diesel and certainly nothing that annoys me personally, but I can't help thinking that it's not doing the engine any good by continuing to drive it.

Think I'll just bite the bullet ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in