308 1.6 sport noise on cold startup - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-10, 07:49 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 308 1.6 sport noise on cold startup

Hi,

My wife has had her 2007 308 1600 sport (petrol) from new, and it's now done about 22,000miles.

For quite a while it has made a quick (1 second long) shreiking noise on a cold startup as the engine fires.

To me the sound is like the starter solenoid isn't retracting quick enough and the Starter pinion is caught on the flywheel for a second- a fault I've known in the past on a Clio, sorted by replacing starter+solenoid.

The main dealer say that it's quite normal and their latest answer was that it is the oil pump priming. This to me sounds like bull, but I'd be happy to know if it IS infact true and common.

I'd be suprised if a petrol engine has an electric oil pump but would love to find out.

Any advice or experience shared would help very much.

Cheers,

John
johnw69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-03-10, 10:40 AM   #2
Inactive User

We have changed a few timing chain tensioners on thos new engines for the noise on startup.
bluetyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-03-10, 11:22 AM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks Bluetyler

The noise we get is like a quick high pitched shreek, does that sound like it?

There is no clatter or diesel type noise that I would normally associate with a timing chain tensioner or variator problem, but to be honest I didn't even know it had a chain, and assumed it would have a timing belt, as I've never done anything more than check the levels on this car so far.

John

Old 29-03-10, 10:15 PM   #4
Inactive User

Yes it does it for a second on start up. The new EP engines developed with BMW have timing chains.
bluetyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-03-10, 07:02 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks again bluetyler for confirming that.

The 'oil pump priming' sounded like a nonsense.

I'll probably take it to a different dealer about 15 miles away. The local dealer has tried to deny faults before as they obviously don't like doing warranty work.

John
Old 19-05-10, 11:42 AM   #6
Inactive User

We have noticed that with our 1.6 turbo XSE. The dealer advises that it's a characteristic of the variable valve timing design - the oil takes a couple of seconds to prime and is a normal feature.

We have also had further instances though of this rattly noise continuing for over 30 seconds, and also some noisiness from the top end when the engine is still cold. Took it to the dealer the other day and the thing was quiet as a mouse. Will monitor further and if necessary leave it at the dealer overnight for them to check a cold start.

The engine is designed by BMW and also powers the Mini Cooper, so I might investigate Mini forums to see if they have the same characteristic.
Mokkybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-10, 01:42 PM   #7
chopper1192

The VVTi Prince engines do take a short while for the VVTi gubbins to receive full oil pressure and quieten down. That said, there was a fault on some with some kind of oil pressure regulator malarkey failing and they'd rattle cheerfully for ages, though I don't think it was harmful. The unit is not a BMW design. BMW were the main 'customer' and set the design parameters (size, weight, output etc), but almost all of the actual donkey work is down to the French. The block is actually derived from the older TU Peugeout engines (they we're already alloy, and a decent design in their own right) and even share the same bore/stroke as the old TU's. The "BMW" engine myth is marketing bollarks, perpetuated by a gullible buying public who think "designed by BMW" sounds better than "scribbled on the back of a Galouise packet by some French work experience spode", which I guess it does. My old feller fronted some of the funding for the project, and funded and helped design and equip the shed where they're made.

The significant BMW technical input was for the variable valve system, so the one bit that gives grief is down to the hun, whereas the other 90% was down the the Frogs and works very nicely. For some reason, the bosche keep that quiet...

Last edited by chopper1192; 19-05-10 at 01:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-05-10, 11:16 AM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks Chopper for clarifying re the engine design. I subsequently did a bit of searching and found the following link that gave me a good insight into the engine and its design. Interesting to note the THP version has conventional VVTi rather than the the innovative design on the normally aspirated version.
w w w.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/document/presse_dossier/PK_PSA_BMW1103281940.pdf
Mokkybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in