2012 308 1.6 HDi active - Engine Fault Warning - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-17, 09:50 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2012 308 1.6 HDi active - Engine Fault Warning

Hi there.
Can't find much online on the generic engine fault message which is kicking my car into limp mode periodically.
Had it for a week and it's on an extended warranty. 31,000 miles which is low for its age. The dealer took it back and supposedly did a forced regen thinking it was the DPF filter. Took it for a drive last night and limp kicked in after 20 miles. Turned off the ignition and stated to drive again no problem. I'm having the car diagnosed myself later today to see what codes are registering. I just want to call on experience and see if anyone has had the same on such a low mileage vehicle. Services etc are all up to date and despite its age it's practically brand new.
Im within my rights to hand the car back to the dealer and I'm unsure if I just do this or persevere and try and get this fixed?
NoIdea308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-17, 12:58 PM   #2
Inactive User

Update - ran a small diagnostic using an ELM327 Obd2 this morning and no faults are registering. All very confusing and no further forward. I'm hoping someone can help or has had a similar experience....
Old 29-06-17, 01:09 PM   #3

You need the car diagnosing on Diagbox. The cheap readers are pants on these cars. If you search for a member local to you on this thread, contact them and see if they can help you out with diagnostics.

The fault message could relate to a number of potential issues, some trivial and easy to solve, others not so trivial. Either way, it's recommended not to use the car whilst it is in limp mode, as it needs attention fairly urgently
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 29-06-17, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
You need the car diagnosing on Diagbox. The cheap readers are pants on these cars. If you search for a member local to you on this thread, contact them and see if they can help you out with diagnostics.

The fault message could relate to a number of potential issues, some trivial and easy to solve, others not so trivial. Either way, it's recommended not to use the car whilst it is in limp mode, as it needs attention fairly urgently
Jimmy thanks for your response. Its been back to the dealership with no faults found. Im not sure what software they are using. Obviously this is currently costing me nothing. Would i be best to tell the dealer to send it direct to Peugeot for diagnostics or is Diagbox a different software?
The purpose of the cheap reader was to leave it running whilst being driven to see if the fault would show as it dissapears when the ignition is turned off and the car starts and goes again.
Old 29-06-17, 01:41 PM   #5

In theory, only Peugeot should have the software. But..... bootleggers have done us a favour and it's available to buy on ebay.

It depends what dealership you're using, they may not have diagbox, which is the Peugeot/Citroen specific software.

The members on the list all have the required software. Diagbox will also give you in depth live data, which is much better than just looking at fault codes.

Codes tell what has happened (most of the time), whereas live data tells you why it has happened.

I'd be looking at the EGR and intake for carbon build up. As you say, your 1.6 hdi has bit of a low mileage for it's age (6,000 miles per year).
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-06-17, 09:07 AM   #6
Inactive User

Default Update

Further update, car has been driving no problems on the motoway but after a small journey such as a supermarket trip it kicked into limp again. Quick restart and no problems and drove the motorway journey fine. No idea if this has any bearing on what the fault could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in