2011 308 Diesel - 3 fuel injectors gone :( Advice please: - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-19, 12:16 PM   #1
CMK

Default 2011 308 Diesel - 3 fuel injectors gone :( Advice please:

Hi everyone,

Looking for any advice or guidance. I am a new member. My wife and I bought a 2011 Peugeot 308 from a dealer under six months ago. It had full service history and seemed like a really good car. It had done around 76000 miles when we bought it and we have done 2700 miles since and has driven fine.

On Thursday 31st January 2019, the computer dash board displayed “engine fault - repair required”. We contacted the AA warranty provided at purchase, and they referred us to Halfords Trade Centre. I took the car to the centre on Monday 4th February 2019. They ran a diagnostic programme and reported three of the cylinder injectors as faulty - “Resetting of Injector Outside The Tolerance”.

They recommended I took the car to the Peugeot garage. On Tuesday 5th February, the Peugeot garage ran a diagnostic programme and also reported three of the injectors need replacing and programming. Injectors are not covered by the AA warranty provided. Peugeot quoted £2000 for new injectors. I was also charged £114 for their diagnostic programme.

I have contacted local garages and have received quotes for the replacement of the injectors. The cheapest is £1450 which is a very different price to Peugoet.

During a telephone conversation to the dealer, he said that if I brought the car to their dealership, they would pay for labour as goodwill gesture (£300-400) and I would pay the cost of parts, which are £200 per injector, therefore four injectors being £800 plus the VAT. When I mentioned the Consumer Rights Act, they brushed this off said that the injectors are electronic and subject to wear and tear and would not have been in disrepair at the time of sale of the vehicle.

I’m very concerned because we have owned the car under six months and done less that 3000 miles. I’m also concerned that the problem will be exacerbated by driving the car a long distance back to the dealership if there is a serious fault.

The dealer also suggested that if 3 fuel injectors had gone the car wouldn't drive and we should use injector cleaning fluid and gain another independent report, alongside the Peugeot and Halfords reports already obtained. They suggested Halfords don’t know what they are doing and Peugeot are trying to make money out of us. We have contacted another local garage who suggested using the cleaning fluid also and they are going to test the injectors this week.

The other interesting thing is since taking it to Peugoet the error message has not come back on and the Peugoet garage said they may have reset something? So now I'm not sure if there is a serious problem or if there is an intermittant fault.

I'm also not sure where we stand with negotiating a more reasonable settlement with the garage.

Any thoughts would be appreiciated.

Many Thanks.
CMK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-19, 12:33 PM   #2

Halfords are monkeys they read codes without looking into anything then decide based on codes.

I doubt very much your injectors are the issue even if peugeot said so as this is based on the same fault codes as halfords

My bet is a voltage spike upset the signals to the ecu and there is actually NOTHING wrong even stalling the car could trigger a fault message !

If it comes back i would be looking at wiring BEFORE spending big money.
Old 10-02-19, 05:30 PM   #3

I would never take my car to halfords, especially for a diagnostic, as already stated, just a bunch of monkeys, and as for Peugeot themselves again, as already stated, they just diagnose based on the fault code.

I went to Halfords one sunday, very tired after working all saturday night and was over charged £14 for 2 brake light bulbs and 4 3rd brake light bulbs, I noticed you could have them fitted for free by some 16 year old monkey outside that works for halfords, who couldnt even figure out how to access the bulb compartment on my car lol, ended up doing it all myself in 5 mins.

The reason the code hasnt come up again is Peugeot have cleared the fault off the ecu, if it was a serious true fault, it would come back on (same fault code) within a couple of miles of driving the car.

See if you can find an independent Peugeot repair shop near you, I have about 2 I trust as well as my main mechanic I use, I got very lucky finding my current mech who will most of the time plug his computer into my car for free and clear / read and diagnose issues, im in the Halesowen area in the West Midlands, not sure where you are, but in my area I have a local garage called The Pug Shop in Lye, and Just Peugeot who are brilliant in Darlaston, non of which are owned or part of Peugeot, they just work on Peugeot's only, see if you can find a garage like that in your area, they tend to know more than Peugeot dealers themselves.
Seanie280672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-19, 06:52 PM   #4
CMK

Thanks for your replies and the feedback. I live 10mins away from Gatwick Airport in Sussex. I’ll keep an eye on things and bear in mind what you both said.
CMK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-19, 09:20 PM   #5

If you have had the car for less than six months and you bought it from a trader, then the sale of goods and services regulations 2002 clearly state that any fault appearing within 6 monts of purchase are deemed to have been there at the point of sale.
Go back to the trader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in