2008 308 1.6 HDI "Reduced Fuel Economy" - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-19, 10:56 PM   #1

Default 2008 308 1.6 HDI "Reduced Fuel Economy"

Hi guys,

Hope all is well.

I currently own a Peugeot 308 2008 1.6 HDI.

Basically the car was running quite sluggish and fuel economy was affected and reduced from my average reading of 54-56MPG to approximately 45-46MPG due to one of the injector seals was about to go.

The cabin also smelled of burning oil as the damaged injector seal was allowing what i believe is excessive engine oil overspilling and burning due to making contact with the engine while running.

Lastly, during stationary or neutral, the engine seems to be misfiring as the engine was louder than usual and it caused the car to vibrate while stationary.

Anyhow, had the car looked at and fixed by my local garage. The mechanic has replaced the damage injector seal for a new one and the dreadful cabin smell has gone, the vibration while on idle has reduced significantly but its still there, and the MPG has improved slightly but only achieving an average of 49.5MPG as opposed to the normal 54-56MPG. My journey consist of a mixture of motorway and town driving.

During stationary, the engine noise and vibrations has calm down a lot. But I think it is still mis firing a little as the car doesn't run as smooth as before, especially before the injector seal problem.

The car has now reached 133K miles. Is there any parts I should change or replace in order to achieve my normal average 54-56MPG?

Would changing the glow plugs help? As I believe they have never been change since new but the car have never experience start up issues etc etc.

Thank you all in advance for your advice & recommendation.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Best regards

Nicholas
Yeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-19, 06:17 AM   #2

Glow plugs wonít help

When was it last serviced ?

The figures you say for mpg are really good even for a newer car I believe in cold weather there always a bit thirstier anyway ie richer cold starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-01-19, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9120 View Post
Glow plugs wonít help

When was it last serviced ?

The figures you say for mpg are really good even for a newer car I believe in cold weather there always a bit thirstier anyway ie richer cold starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, thank you for the reply.

The car was last service approximately 3-5K miles ago, maybe 3-4months ago? A full service comprising of engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter & cabin filter.

So I assume the engine oil is pretty fresh.

Just trying to locate is there any parts requiring replacing that is currently affecting the fuel economy, as during idle, its does seem like the car is misfiring ever so slightly but then goes away when the car is moving?

The 308 is on 133K miles, therefore I was thinking maybe some engine components may need replacing???
Yeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-01-19, 09:00 PM   #4

You do not mention changing the air filter. I find on my 2.0 HDI they do get dirty quick, I fitted a K&N and clean it every 12500 miles which for me is around every 6 months when i change oil etc and i get a small improvement in MPG.

I also find in the cold weather (and even better if slightly foggy) my MPG improves which i think is down to intercooler working better
Old 23-01-19, 09:59 AM   #5

Might also be worth taking the egr valve off and inspecting/cleaning. They are a 3 position valve and can start to stick in the wrong position at that kind of mileage. Poor compression on a cylinder wont help things either causing it to run lumpy especially at cold-start but depending on degree of leakage, warm-running also. Does it burn any oil generally - a puff of blue at cold start gives the game away.
Pluggit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-01-19, 11:11 PM   #6

This maybe totally unrelated. Just out of interest. Are you getting any engine management warning light and other fault warnings. My 1.6hdi on 136k miles saw falling mpg and two months ths later dpf blocked as I was out of additive. The mpg falls because the engine management system constantly tries to regenerate (over 2000rpm) without success. Strange thing was I never got any engine fault warnings from the car until the dpf blocked. Once dpf cleared and new additive I was back to 67.3mpg average.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in