1.6 VTI (120) Engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-06-13, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 1.6 VTI (120) Engine

Hello all, after a new motor (Pug Virgin) & quite like the look of the 308 1.6 Sport VTI (120). got a short commute so Diesels wasted on me but was after a bit of info on the 1.6 (120) unit, Decent motor? pull? any issues to watch out for? high mileage a problem?.

Nice looking car and reseaonable prices looking at 5k and under so may have to go for higher than average mileage.

Coming from a MK4 1.8T golf that is too thirsty & Road Tax becoming an issue so prepared to take a drop in horses for saving some dosh but 120hp sounds resonable enough - in practise?

Thanx in advance
ITVbackwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-06-13, 02:48 PM   #2

I have the 1.6 VTI 120 engine in my 3008 which is a much heavier car than the 308 and it performs well for my needs, I'm not a speed merchant but it will go if you want it to! The engine is a joint venture by Peugeot and BMW, it has a solid flywheel and a proper timing chain rather than a belt. Also, service interval is 20,000 miles or two years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-06-13, 03:10 PM   #3
chopper1192

Interesting that you mention the timing chain...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 14-06-13, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
Interesting that you mention the timing chain...
Go on then...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14-06-13, 03:18 PM   #5
chopper1192

Timing gear is the classic problem point on this unit. Worse on the turbos, but still apparent on the NA versions. So bad that in the US owners are bringing a class action against MINI and in France DS 3 owners as petitioning the government to intervene and make PSA stop ignoring them.

It's also worth noting pug are dropping the NA versions of this engine from the range, so if you're buying new it could be a good time to snap up a cheap end of the line example.

ITV is a rare wise man, eschewing a diesel for short journeys. Much, much cheaper with petrol in th long term for his type.of motoring.
davidireland likes this.
Old 14-06-13, 03:21 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Timing gear is the classic problem point on this unit. Worse on the turbos, but still apparent on the NA versions. So bad that in the US owners are bringing a class action against MINI and in France DS 3 owners as petitioning the government to intervene and make PSA stop ignoring them.

It's also worth noting pug are dropping the NA versions of this engine from the range, so if you're buying new it could be a good time to snap up a cheap end of the line example.
So avoid high mileage cars.....
Old 14-06-13, 03:30 PM   #7
chopper1192

Years ago I was dating a girl who's 207GT suffered after only 7 or 8,000 miles. Problem is the fault crops up and PSA know full well has it is and know it's going to cost a bomb, so they try to nurse the car along towards the expiration of warranty period with software updates to try and overcome the fractionally skewiff cam timing which is picked up by the various sensors, and then confuses the ECU causing the rough running. It's rare they'll authorise the dealer to spunk out on the require New timing gear.

Its a great engine when it's working, but compared to a similar unit from Chunda or Poxhaul it's about as trustworthy as Charles Bronson in a cell with a kiddie fiddler. The engine is much more numerous in MINIs so do a Binglehoo search and see what you think. As I mentioned elsewhere recently, it's the one engine most pug techs probably wouldn't own, and daresay pug can't wait to get shot of it for their new turbo triples. Tis what happens when you let a German manufacturer redesign a perfectly good, if aged, TU series motor.
Old 14-06-13, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:

ITV is a rare wise man, eschewing a diesel for short journeys. Much, much cheaper with petrol in th long term for his type.of motoring.
Like ITV, I only do short journeys, that's why I went for petrol. Mine has done 10,000 miles and has about 19 months left on the warranty. I would think that as it's not a service item the timing chain would be covered by the warranty?

Old 14-06-13, 03:32 PM   #9
chopper1192

It is, but odds on they'll try and fob you with the software wheeze I mentioned above.
Old 14-06-13, 03:37 PM   #10
Inactive User

right...........put off I am will have a search, A freind of mine did have a cooper S Mini & had a few issues with engine/cam chain that was a superchrged model (07ish) BMW/Mini played him over that one iirc but it's still going, didn't realise it was such a cross model unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in