Windscreen washer nozzle keeps breaking - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-18, 12:48 AM   #1

Default Windscreen washer nozzle keeps breaking

Hello.

I have a problem with my peugeot 307. Some time ago, my driver side washer nozzle wasn't working properly. It emitted washer fluid at a low pressure, so it ran on the bonnet, while the passenger side washer worked ok. So I took both nozzles and the hoses off and cleaned the thoroughly with water and dish soap. I installed them back on, but that didn't fix the problem.

Skipping some time forward, say a week or so, I noticed my windshield washer was not spraying any fluid at all. I had just poured in 4L of methanol based washer fluid and the rear washer pump worked. So I popped the hood and I saw that both hoses were disconnected from the nozzles and had sprayed washer fluid all over my engine bay while I was driving. The engine and starter had white residue from vaporized washer fluid on them, and there was rust accumulating on the silver metal cover in front of the engine.

Both hoses had broken off the connecting tip of the washer nozzle so that a piece of washer nozzle was inside the hose. So I got a pair of used nozzles from a junkyard and installed them. I had to cut of the tip of the hose on both sides, where the plastic piece was stuck inside the end of the hose.

The new nozzles worked great. But a few days later, when I popped the hood to check the coolant, which seems to be leaking slowly without a trace, I noticed that one of the nozzles had broken off the same way. Last time I drove the car, both of the nozzles worked ok, so it could've broken off when I opened the hood. I posted a pic of the broken off nozzle. You can see the expanded end of the hose, where the broken off part of the nozzle is.

What could be causing the nozzles to break in half? What can I do to stop it from breaking? The weather is below 0 C oftentimes, so could something freeze and cause the breakage? Should I just order new nozzles and pray for the best, or order a new set of hoses aswell? Are the ebay ones that are sold for a few euros good, or should I buy OEM parts?
Attached Thumbnails
20180109_210452.jpg  
Erictaavet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-18, 03:22 PM   #2

New nozzles and add a touch of anti freeze to the liquid during the severe cold.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-18, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
New nozzles and add a touch of anti freeze to the liquid during the severe cold.
I'm afraid they'll break again if I install new ones. Seems like a partial solution. By outting antifreeze in the reservoir, do you mean engine coolant antifreeze, stuff is harmful to paint. My current wiper fluid is rated to as low as -21C so I don't see how the liquid could freeze and break the nozzles. Or does the methanol thats left in the nozzles evaporate, leaving only water in, so that it will freeze in higher temperatures?

Old 12-01-18, 01:44 PM   #4

Why should they break again? If they do then you will never have washers!
I meant to just add a very small amount of antifreeze to your washer fluid. In really cold temps they recommend you have a high concentration of the fluid to water, 80/20%
Old 12-01-18, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
Why should they break again? If they do then you will never have washers!
I meant to just add a very small amount of antifreeze to your washer fluid. In really cold temps they recommend you have a high concentration of the fluid to water, 80/20%
Why would they break again, you ask. Well, today it was the 4th time a nozzle broke. So far, they just have kept breaking. I have already gone through 2 pairs of nozzles. What kind of force could possivly be breaking them?

Last edited by Erictaavet; 12-01-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 05:25 PM   #6

perhaps you are being too heavy handed when fitting them?
Old 12-01-18, 05:44 PM   #7

Its not a common issue...perhaps the next ones you fit you could dip the feed pipe in a cup of hot water to soffen the pipe and be ultra carefull pushing the pipe on...I cant remeber the last time I changed a jet due to damage as you have had...good luck tho
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-18, 05:47 PM   #8

Is it worth looking at the engine cover.....?I cant remember on my 307 how close it gets?
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-18, 06:07 PM   #9

Could it be the plastic jet is just suffering from being old and split off, i imagine you have checked the hose is long enough so its not under tension. I did on my 307 replace the hose but the jets kept going. If your uncomfortable buying 2 new jets can you buy 1 and see if it works

Like you i would not add engine antifreeze into the bottle bad for paint and animals I think its not legal for letting it go into drains. Everyone to their own though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in