Wheel bearing or Tyre noise - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-17, 09:57 AM   #1
arc

Default Wheel bearing or Tyre noise

Hi Folks,

Have just done a tour of west Scotland with my cc with no issues or probs but now back home and at work its developed a "droning" type noise.
I'm on 73.5k miles now so wondering if the wheel bearings might be packing up . Its difficult to pin point the source of the noise but wondering if its the tyres or bearings. Its not a clunk or squeal or grinding sound. Sounds as if one or more tyres are flat but all four are ok with good tread.
The drone starts about 35mph and is consistent with speed up to about 70mph then fades out. No difference if braking or cornering. Same noise if cold or warm.

Any thoughts chaps or is it better to jack up the motor and see if each one free wheels ok with no binding etc.

Thanks
arc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-17, 10:05 AM   #2

Hi..do a wheel bearing check by jacking up each corner...and spin each wheel...you will need to listen carefully as you cant spin it too fast and there is no weight on the bearing....
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-17, 10:40 AM   #3
arc

Thanks noddy - hol.
If they are knackered or on way out are they a diy fix ? Done a few on an old mgb years ago and was a piece of cake then but now ...........

Old 19-05-17, 12:24 PM   #4

You need a hydrolic press to remove the front ones for certain and would imagine the same for the rears too, last time I did one an engineering Co. did mine and they needed 5 tonne press and lots of heat fro an oxy torch to get it out !
johnbrander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-17, 01:36 PM   #5

HI...your old m.g.b. probably had taper roller bearings...not too bad to do d.i.y...but as previous post its a press or hub and bearing replacement ..identify it first just in case its an easy fix..
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-05-17, 07:39 AM   #6
arc

Thanks fellas for responses. Checked wheels over the weekend, no noises or binding on any. Checked for any play or movement and all appears ok on all 4. I'm thinking tyres to be honest.
I've read the 2.0 cc are heavy on tyres so after a 1450 mile Scottish tour I think they may need changing now. Can't see any blisters, bubbles or undulations but can't see what else it can be.
Old 22-05-17, 11:06 AM   #7

Try putting fronts on the back and backs on the front and see/listen if the noise has moved with the tyres
johnbrander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-05-17, 12:55 PM   #8
arc

Good idea John
Old 22-05-17, 03:29 PM   #9

Is there any cracks in the sidewalls?
madbadandold is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-05-17, 07:19 AM   #10
arc

Angry

Well the saga continues. Decided to pop into my local Tyre expert and get them to check the tyres. Almost immediately he picked out the rear offside Tyre as out of shape !!!
Went along with this and had a replacement. Quite confident this was the reason i went tootling off. A day or so later no change !!!

Next was to swap over fronts to backs & backs to fronts. Done this last night .....................still no change.
However i did notice my discs especially the fronts are very thin and lipped with a nice rusty crust in the rim. Knocked this off with a hammer and cleaned up just to see if it made a diff.
I'm going to change these in any case as they will be prob be an mot failure but wonder if they could be the culprit. While the car was off the floor i checked for bearing noise and could not get any movement at all. Only noise was the pads on the discs at a certain spot only on the offside front.

Drove to work this morning and still there, still got a low back round type drone and a slight faint pulsating feeling through steering.

My thoughts are to change the discs and while there change the bearings. Cars on 74k miles so expect they might be due
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in