TU5JP4 random stalling when idle - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-19, 09:49 PM   #1

Default TU5JP4 random stalling when idle

I've got a 307 (2004) 1.6 petrol (TU5JP4) with manual transmission and 221k on the clock.

It's developed a very strange stalling problem that only presents itself when either slowing down or at idle.

Episode 1:

A couple of months ago the car hesitated quite badly when pulling out of a junction. I managed to coast to the side of the road and I think (cannot remember) the car stalled.

Within a couple of minutes I continued my journey of around 30 miles - the car ran perfectly.

When I reached my destination I pulled into the car park and let the car idle for no more than 2 minutes. Suddenly the revs dropped (from around 900 to 400) and the engine felt like it was miss-firing. I gently pressed the throttle and the car instantly stalled.

I repeated the above process (restarted the engine to instantly experience a rough idle, gently hit the throttle and the car stalled) several times.

Left the car for about an hour and a half and went for a drink.

Returned and the car started up fine. Idling felt a little lumpy, but nothing like before.

There was over half a tank of fuel in the car.

Left the car for a week (after trying various tests) and then decided to continue on using it.

Episode 2:

Driving on a dual carriage way, I put my foot down and the car seemed to hesitate - almost as if power was being held back.

This lasted for a few seconds (my foot still on the throttle in the same position) and then suddenly a bit of a jolt and normal service was resumed!

The low fuel warning had just come on - either a second or two before or after the above.

The car ran perfectly, until...

Episode 3:

I had been driving for about 25 miles and then hit traffic on the M25. When slowing down the car stalled. The revs dropped and stepping on the throttle simply made the car stall quicker.

Same as Episode 1, the engine would have a rough idle until I gave it a little more gas and that stalled it.

It restarted fine 3 or 4 times in a row.

The fuel warning light was already on.

I drove another 10-15 miles without any issues, filled up the tank (with premium stuff) and carried on for another 200 miles - again zero issues.

My "various tests":

So far, I've tried the following - with no improvement or success.
  1. Swapped the ignition coil for a brand new one. This happened after Episode 1 and made no difference, the car still seemed to idle rough.
  2. Examined the spark plugs. They all look good and are not too old (replaced at regular service intervals).
  3. Ran PP2000 diagnostics. No faults reported.
  4. Ran standard OBD2 diagnostics. No faults reported.
  5. Checked the engine warning light - it's off.

Other observations:
  • Sometimes the engines take a little longer to crank (when first starting) than normal.
  • One of the fuel injectors looks like it has been leaking slightly.

What I suspect...

Given the cranking issue (only experienced first thing in the morning or when the car has been sitting for a while) and the potential leaking fuel injector, I think this might be a fuel related issue.

So, I'm going to test the fuel pressure first and then replace the injector seals if required.

However, is there something I'm missing?

I was thinking it could be the fuel pump, but then the engine runs perfectly most of the time - especially on the 2 long motorway drives recently completed!

The fact that this problem appears to be random makes me think it might be electrical and not fuel related.

As always, no fault codes are stored and zero warning messages appear on the screen.

Battery test...

I'm going to be cleaning the battery terminals and getting the battery tested too.

The alternator died just under a year ago, so there is a chance that the battery hasn't been charging too well. I fully charged it when I replaced the alternator, but maybe it suffered some damage previously.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
al3xclarke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-06-19, 10:29 AM   #2

Has the fuel filter been replaced? Its just in front of the fuel tank RH side according to Haynes manual.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-06-19, 02:49 PM   #3

NFU engines suffer from bad injectors causing missfires but it can also be the loom for the injectors and very occasionally burnt valves.

When its a bad coil they tend to go down on 2 cylinders as its a wasted spark system firing 2 plugs at a time.

Old 26-06-19, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
Has the fuel filter been replaced? Its just in front of the fuel tank RH side according to Haynes manual.

I did purchase a fuel filter a few years ago, but didnít fit it as I couldnít see where it went!

Iíve got a Haynes manual and have also read that some 307s donít have a fuel filter.

Iíll check for the presence of a filter again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-06-19, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
NFU engines suffer from bad injectors causing missfires but it can also be the loom for the injectors and very occasionally burnt valves.

When its a bad coil they tend to go down on 2 cylinders as its a wasted spark system firing 2 plugs at a time.

Sounds like I should inspect each injector and the wiring then. Iíll add this to the list!

However, would a bad coil or injectors not throw a fault code?

Also, it seems strange that the car would instantly stall when it started to idle rough. This makes me lean more towards fuel issues.

But, as we know, it could be anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in