Towing and reverse sensors 307 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-17, 07:00 PM   #1
pdg

Default Towing and reverse sensors 307

If I've posted this in the wrong place, someone tell me off

So today was my first work day with my 307 (1.6hdi 110 sw).

All went swimmingly apart from two things...

First, the tell-tale doesn't like bleeping with my LED trailer lights! That's easy enough to sort out with a couple of resistors or a replacement buzzer so no real problem there.

Second, and the point of the thread, the reverse sensors go mental

In the handbook it states that the sensors are deactivated when a towbar is fitted.

Are they supposed to be off all the time when the car has a towbar or is it supposed to sense the presence of a trailer?

If the former, I'll carry on ignoring it. If the latter, is it again to do with the LEDs?

Now, I was told when I bought the car that the towing electrics were fitted by a Peugeot dealer - I'm not impressed with the proliferation of scotchloks - so that's a job on the list

Anyway, any insight will be welcomed.
pdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-17, 07:13 PM   #2

I believe if the correct peugeot parts are fitted then the reverse sensors are disabled when a light plug is inserted but its most likely not original peugeot if scotchlocks are used as proper peugeot ones plug into the loom !
Old 10-08-17, 07:22 PM   #3
pdg

I'm pretty sure it's not a Peugeot bar for a start.

But, the person I bought it off went to the effort of telling me that it was fitted by *random garage* who said they couldn't patch into the loom, so they took it to dealers to have the electrics done...

I'll try later with an incandescent equipped lightbar I have to see if it picks that up - I suppose it's possible the dealer connected in the right place but lacking the oem plug meant they used the scotchloks instead (horrible hateful things, I'll take great pleasure in destroying those).

Is there anywhere I can get wiring diagrams for the 307?

I'm getting pp2k soon, is there a wiring database included in that at all?

Old 10-08-17, 10:10 PM   #4

Peugeot state in their instructions for their trailer loom that it won't work with LED trailer lights.
No doubt the system needs to see a load on the trailer socket to switch off the parking sensors.
If you haven't got the Peugeot loom, or not had it programmed into the ECU then you would need to deactivate the parking sensors manually.

Remember, cutting the parking sensors has to be programmed in, it's not there automatically.

Last edited by Brilec; 10-08-17 at 10:14 PM.
Brilec is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-17, 10:21 PM   #5
pdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
Peugeot state in their instructions for their trailer loom that it won't work with LED trailer lights.
No doubt the system needs to see a load on the trailer socket to switch off the parking sensors.
If you haven't got the Peugeot loom, or not had it programmed into the ECU then you would need to deactivate the parking sensors manually.
I've only had the car for about a week so I'm still finding out what's been done, what's been done badly and what's been ignored in the past...

I can present a load to the system and keep the LEDs without a problem as there's no way I'm going back to incandescents. As I said, I'll bung a lightboard in and see if the car notices - I connected one this morning to test as I had to replace the damaged 12N socket the car came with but didn't think about the reverse sensors.

I'd like to think that it's been wired in properly (oem loom or not) and that it's been programmed in - but previous experience with a local dealer, along with the blue clips from hell, makes me feel that's a wish too far.
Old 11-08-17, 04:40 PM   #6

Most of the peugeot system just have a switch wired into the socket which then senses that the trailer plug is in. I don't think it uses CAN or similar to see load for the rear sensors, as i know of someone who's stop start stopped working because they had an adaptor fitted to trailer socket so car assumed they were towing a trailer and disabled stop start
Old 12-08-17, 05:38 PM   #7
pdg

Well, in case anyone is interested...

As alluded to above, there appears to be no load sensing on the socket wiring - at least there isn't how it's currently wired.

Plugged in my lightbar, all the lights work, the indicator tell-tale buzzes happily, and the reverse sensors still activate.

I think I'll just ignore the bleeping - maybe when I get around to sorting out the connections I'll see if things change, but I doubt it. Or I'll see if I can find where the oem socket switch is connected and make my own sense box.
Old 14-08-17, 03:38 PM   #8

The tell tale buzzer didn't like working with the LED lights on the trailer, but does work with an incandescent light on a lightboard. Thus the system does sense a load on the indicators.
If you have any scotchblocks in the trailer socket wiring harness then you can definitely say it's not Peugeot, nor is it a purpose made loom for your car. Hopefully you have a bypass relay somewhere, maybe you could look for it.
But in any case, as you don't have a purpose made loom fitted there is no way the rear parking sensors can be disabled, unless you can do so manually on the dash menu.
If you don't have a bypass relay fitted, and the lights are just connected directly into the car loom, then your Peugeot warranty would be invalid. Academic here because the car is too old of course.

The parking sensors are disabled in the ECU with Planet. But this requires the proper harness to be used or a similar product from another tow bar electrics supplier. Never seen any additional switch in a 12N socket, I'm sure the ECU "knows" when a trailer is attached by checking the resistance of the circuit. This is why LDs don't work with it as they don't alter the circuit resistance.

Last edited by Brilec; 14-08-17 at 03:43 PM.
Brilec is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-17, 09:32 AM   #9
pdg

I'm not sure if 'the system' senses anything with the way it's currently configured...

The indicator buzzer is probably a standalone unit that's not set up for low current LED use (simply uses the flow of current to switch a transistor and hence a piezo buzzer - newer ones have a broader operating range). If I was to keep that system long term then I can either swap or modify the buzzer...

I'm completely confident that it's not an oem sub loom, but that's not an issue really - if the oem system relies on a microswitch fitted in the (13 pin) socket then there's nothing stopping me fitting my own toggle switch or similar in the boot that I simply flip when I hook up a trailer - and when I get planet I can activate that routine.

Comically, yesterday I found a bundle of wires wrapped in masking tape (yes, masking tape, like painters use...) but a lack of time meant I couldn't investigate further, but it's probably the above mentioned buzzer unit - as it 'works' right now (well, the lights work but no buzzing) I continued with the job at hand - replacing the speakers

I have to get the trim panels off to see what's really going on, and seeing as I have to do that anyway to figure out what's going on with the stereo it can all be done together (at least, documented for later sorting).

Considering the car is getting on a bit (pfft, it's the newest car I've had ) this can't be a hugely unusual situation and people might still be fitting towing gear to these - so I might as well keep updating this for possible future reference.

While I'm perfectly happy messing with wiring and electronics, the replies so far have been useful in finding out what's actually supposed to happen, so keep the ideas/info coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in