Top Strut Mounting - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-14, 09:43 AM   #1

Default Top Strut Mounting

Had a front end rattle on nearside of car since last summer. Almost feels like something is hanging off at times when driving over bumps in road.
Have checked and replaced all the usual suspects (drop link, ball joint etc) and if anything it seems to be getting worse.
I decided to try and find the culprit again this morning, and whilst the car was on the drive i grabbed top and bottom of wheel and rocked it, i could feel quite a bit of play and also heard a squeaking noise ? I started to think the wheel bearing was hanging off
Jacked car up and tried again, but this time the play was gone and everything felt tight and secure. Lowered car onto floor and tried again, once on the floor the play/knock ahd returned along with the squeak ?
Even though its a cup and washer arrangement and not a bearing on the top mount, i thought i'd pull back the insulation from the scuttle trim and check the top mount for play.
There was quite a bit of play, and the squeak was obviously coming from the rubber mount. I'm thinking i may have finally found the source of the knock/rattle.
Anybody else had a similar problem, anybody changed the strut top mounting, or would it be worth trying to tighten just in case ?

P.S is there a way to get at the Strut top nut without removing all the plastic ?
Thanks in advance if anybody can shed some light.
mungoscorner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-14, 11:11 AM   #2

front ?
full leg of job mate you can do they in place but you have to get the spring compressed relay low sometime impossible
karl mcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-01-14, 02:26 PM   #3
Inactive User

You can't get to the upper bolt without removing the plastic "shields" under the windshield, but they come out easily.

Replacing top strut mounts is a perfectly doable job because I managed to do it. Trickiest part is indeed compressing the springs, get good tools for that. Check also that your toolbox has a 7 mm allen key before you start!

Edit: Search and download Haynes manual, it has the job explained pretty well.

Last edited by Lemolabass; 14-01-14 at 02:28 PM.
Lemolabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 14-01-14, 03:55 PM   #4
Inactive User

Yeah I did mine too I used some small ratchet straps to compress the springs after snapping a spring compressor I don't trust them.
If you remove the track rod end and turn the strut you will feel if the bearing in the top has gone.
I didn't remove the shields spanner went in just

Last edited by rbaz; 14-01-14 at 03:57 PM.
rbaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-01-14, 06:55 PM   #5

Front rattle/knock - check the inner brake pad, if its the type like mine that clips into the piston they can work loose and rattle within the caliper.

Took ages to locate as always sounded like it was front strut top area. Local tyre/exhaust/suspension place insisted it was top mount despite me replacing the week before. Then said maybe strut - so I threw on a couple of genuine struts I picked up cheap. Finally by pure chance I noticed brake pad. Changed the cheap n nasty pads with wafer thin clips for a set of mintex - been fine ever since.
Old 14-01-14, 07:03 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1293 View Post
Front rattle/knock - check the inner brake pad, if its the type like mine that clips into the piston they can work loose and rattle within the caliper.

Took ages to locate as always sounded like it was front strut top area. Local tyre/exhaust/suspension place insisted it was top mount despite me replacing the week before. Then said maybe strut - so I threw on a couple of genuine struts I picked up cheap. Finally by pure chance I noticed brake pad. Changed the cheap n nasty pads with wafer thin clips for a set of mintex - been fine ever since.
very annoying avatar you have just wacked my screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in