Tires - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stevoxsi
  • 1 Post By clanless
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-12-17, 01:05 PM   #1

Default Tires

I have removed my post after reaching an agreement with Davanti.

Last edited by TazR6; 05-02-18 at 01:09 PM.
TazR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-12-17, 04:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Just for the sake of arguement, I have davanti tyres on the transit and can't fault them.
TazR6 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-17, 11:25 AM   #3

I have some 'cheap' tyres on my car - BCT on the back and City Tour on the front - the car drives just the same as it did with the Michellin's on it.

Now that we have labels on the tyres - speed rating, wet braking and rolling resistance (I think) - it's easy to look past the brand and at the actual tyre's performance.

It used to be the case that 'cheap' meant poor/dangerous performance - that's no longer the case - things have moved forward IMHO.

My approach to driving in snow is - place in first gear - feet off pedals - then let the engine keep the car moving forward at walking pace - this approach has not failed me, even on hills.

My approach to driving around corners - don't put myself in a position where the car will skid.

When your driving over compacted snow or ice - the tyres make very little difference - it is how you drive.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-12-17, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
I have some 'cheap' tyres on my car - BCT on the back and City Tour on the front - the car drives just the same as it did with the Michellin's on it.

Now that we have labels on the tyres - speed rating, wet braking and rolling resistance (I think) - it's easy to look past the brand and at the actual tyre's performance.

It used to be the case that 'cheap' meant poor/dangerous performance - that's no longer the case - things have moved forward IMHO.

My approach to driving in snow is - place in first gear - feet off pedals - then let the engine keep the car moving forward at walking pace - this approach has not failed me, even on hills.

My approach to driving around corners - don't put myself in a position where the car will skid.

When your driving over compacted snow or ice - the tyres make very little difference - it is how you drive.
not strictly true, tread pattern, depth and width of tread and rubber compound all make difference!
iv driven in the alps on normal tyres and winter tyres, the difference is astronomical.
Old 29-12-17, 09:30 AM   #5

I fitted falken euroal season (an all season tyre) to the front of my 307 and they're great in the colder temperatures. They're also better than a summer tyre in wet conditions which is handy for living in Scotland. I got them part worn (6.5mm tread) from ebay for 50 delivered.
307SW_HDi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-17, 01:40 PM   #6

Just for the record, in case anyone thinks that I am unable to drive in bad conditions, I passed my driving test at 16 in Winnipeg Canada. I drove many a winter over there, where the roads are usually snow/ice covered for 5 months a year. You soon learn how to drive in slippery conditions.
Old 29-12-17, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazR6 View Post
I agree with greegor.
Now I have the Michelins fitted, the difference in braking and cornering is many multiples better. Where I had understeer or ABS working overtime, I now have nothing. The grip is measurably improved by a huge factor.
I haven't experienced understeer or any use at all of ABS with premium or budget tyres - I drive such that neither happens.

Winter tyres - marketing ploy - if you hit a patch of black ice - tread pattern or tyre compound etc. makes diddly squat difference.

It's the same with big name and own brand engine oils - a con to get more money out of punters.

This is my experience from motoring for over 40 years.
noddy-hol likes this.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-17, 05:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
I haven't experienced understeer or any use at all of ABS with premium or budget tyres - I drive such that neither happens.

Winter tyres - marketing ploy - if you hit a patch of black ice - tread pattern or tyre compound etc. makes diddly squat difference.

It's the same with big name and own brand engine oils - a con to get more money out of punters.

This is my experience from motoring for over 40 years.
We will have to agree to disagree on this lol.
I too have been driving over 40 years (only just realized that, and now I am depressed) and I find the total opposite is true, apart from in some cases, black ice. If there is no grip to be had, there is no grip what tires you have.
You cannot compare premium with budget though. Cars, clothes, oils, tires, aftershave, coffee, bog roll, e-liquids, dog sh*t bags, crisps, bread, tech etc etc etc. It is true across the board. You get what you pay for, and things are cheap for a reason.
I am not a brand snob, nor a victim of fashion, but I do appreciate the value of money, and cheapest is definitely not the best.
Old 29-12-17, 05:11 PM   #9

I have also been driving a long time !!

Although i agree that some tyres are worse than others i dont think winter tyres are essential for our climate i think the biggest issue is the way people drive in bad weather is what gets them in trouble some cars are better than others some tyres are better than others some drivers are better than others

You just need the right combination of the required variables
windy1603 likes this.
Old 29-12-17, 07:39 PM   #10
Super Moderator

That pretty much sums it up! My transit goes places on davanti tyres where the zafira won't on michelins (more weight over axle). Winter tyres were a must have on the Volvo (I blame the large amount of power for that) yet the the zafira is better on ice which I put down to the width of tyres on it. Insignia better again (245 wide) but went nowhere on fresh snow. Too many variables. I think it's a personal preference. Best of them all, 306 d turbo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in