Thinking of buying a 307 HDI - Things to look out for? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-17, 12:27 PM   #1

Default Thinking of buying a 307 HDI - Things to look out for?

Hi,

I'm in need of a new car early 2018, something around the 1k mark, and i've been weighing up the 307 HDI 1.6. It seems pretty ideal for me as the fuel consumption is good (I'll be working in the car).

I'd be grateful if a few of you could share your thoughts on the car and its reliability, and in particular any common problems/faults.

Specifically any common faults that I would be able to check for when viewing/test driving.

Thanks very much guys,

John
nullspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-17, 06:33 PM   #2

I think the 2 litre engine is a better bet, it seems to be more robust.
For 1k you can't expect too much, you ill be buying a car that is getting on in years and will have some miles behind it.
Having said that, 307's normally carry their years well, and if properly looked after can cover many miles without massive repair bills. Don't expect anything in your price range to be trouble free though. 307's are reasonably easy to repair, a good independent garage will mostly be happy to work on them if you don't do your own repairs.

Roger.
Old 22-12-17, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
I think the 2 litre engine is a better bet, it seems to be more robust.
For 1k you can't expect too much, you ill be buying a car that is getting on in years and will have some miles behind it.
Having said that, 307's normally carry their years well, and if properly looked after can cover many miles without massive repair bills. Don't expect anything in your price range to be trouble free though. 307's are reasonably easy to repair, a good independent garage will mostly be happy to work on them if you don't do your own repairs.

Roger.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I'll be looking to PX my current car so we're probably looking more towards 1500 but I gather that'll be with a lot of miles.

I used to drive a 306 HDI that was still going strong well over 150k miles so I'm hoping to grab a 307 at or around the 100k mark and go from there. I do expect to spend at least another 500 or so over the course of a year on essential services etc like the cambelt, clutch etc.

I'm curious to know if there are any big problems with these cars that I should check for when viewing? Anything that might scream 'no!', ya know?

If I can get a car from 100k and run it to 150k I'll be very happy.

The 2.0 is tempting as I had the 2.0 hdi 306, but the 1.6 does an extra 6mpg with my driving circumstances which does mean quite a lot in the long run.

Cheers for the reply,

John

Old 22-12-17, 08:49 PM   #4

2 litre all the way 1.6 does more mpg but is more prone to issues 2 litre will be more reliable in long term and if you get a 90hp you will get no DPF or dual mass flywheel to worry about basically same as your old 306.

1.6 HDI can be reliable if well serviced and driven properly but if neglected it will give trouble where a neglected 2 litre is still likely to be reliable.
Old 22-12-17, 09:35 PM   #5

Ive got 2 litre 90 hp year ago only minor problems 240k on clock it works perfectly

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
atdhe_memeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-12-17, 09:43 PM   #6

That's really useful information, thanks...

The 90bhp variant, what year were those made? Or were they made alongside the more powerful option?

John
Old 22-12-17, 10:05 PM   #7

All years generally lower spec variants though.

90 can be a bit slow but with a few tweeks will be just as good as 110 without DPF to worry about but as i say it is basically what your 306 had they were 90s too.
Old 22-12-17, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
All years generally lower spec variants though.

90 can be a bit slow but with a few tweeks will be just as good as 110 without DPF to worry about but as i say it is basically what your 306 had they were 90s too.
*nod* 90bhp would be fine...

Say I opt for a higher spec one, is the DPF really that much of a pita?
Old 22-12-17, 10:31 PM   #9

If car is used properly then no but it does need maintained and this is what causes the issue people dont look after them or drive the cars properly.

You also get the dual mass flywheel on more powerful cars and this also fails before the clutch does generally.
Old 23-12-17, 12:17 AM   #10
pdg

I've got a 1.6 110 sw se, 155k on it and bar a few niggles and teething troubles it's fine.

It'd been sat about for a while when I bought it, and that's what I blame for the self curing limp mode incident 2 days after I bought it...

Niggles include having to fix the spare wheel winch, fix the rear exhaust heat shield and having to replace 2 tyres in time for MOT.

I did feel a bit of concern for the dpf for a while given all the scare stories about them (and the fact I apparently don't drive it properly...), but I've since decided not to be bothered and if/when it gives trouble I'll bung on a 100 aftermarket unit if flushing doesn't work.

All in all, not bad for a 400 car.
pdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in