Stop warning light. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-17, 03:22 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Stop warning light.

My son recently acquired an '06 plate 307 diesel estate. Has been running fine until the other day when he said he heard a "pop" from the front left glove compartment area. A "faulty circuit board" warning appeared on the dash and not long after the ABS warning light came on. The car drove fine for another 5 miles or so and then the steering went heavy for a few seconds. The ESP light came on and the STOP sign came on as well and also the warning triangle symbol with an exclamation mark in it. He managed to continue for another 100 yds and the car stopped.
Now the car won't start at all (just a clicking sound although it doesn't sound like a solenoid to me). Also, as well as the ABS and ESP warning lights being on so is the airbag warning light.
I immediately checked all the fuses including the Maxi fuses. These are all ok however when checking the Maxi fuses I noticed that one of them was missing - apparently it is for the passenger compartment fuse box! Also when I lifted the fuse box out to check the Maxi fuses there were two wires, one red and one blue, that have been wrapped up with insulating tape and are just sitting there not connected to anything and disappear into the loom
(maybe they have something to do with the missing fuse?).
Any help on where to start will be very much appreciated.
MrRhyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-17, 06:23 PM   #2

Certainly sounds like a fuse has been bypassed. Also sounds like the previous owner perhaps got rid of the car because of this issue and bodged it just to get it sold.I'd hazard a guess that the BSI has possibly died as that lives in the glovebox area. You may be lucky and it's just taken out some of the BSI fuses but it will likely need to have a PP2000 diagnostic to see if the BSI can be read.

It may well have been a faulty BSI that was taking out the missing maxi fuse anrd the previous owner just spliced an unfused live in place to give the car the appearance of being in good condition knowing all the while that in the near future something would go. Your son may have some legal rights to return the car to the seller as not being fit for purpose and for the seller witholding information about this problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-17, 08:27 AM   #3
Inactive User

Many thanks for that Storeman. I'll check out all the BSI fuses and get it diagnosed if necessary and find out what the red and blue wires are for! Does anyone know of a company called BBA Reman who repair BSI units should it need sorting?

Old 09-05-17, 08:51 AM   #4

I'd be talking to the person who sold your son the car.

Can you take pics and share them?

Do as storeman said - get the car on PP2000 or diagbox. If the software can't communicate with the car, it's likely the BSI has been toasted. If the BSI is readable, then you should get some info about what's gone pop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-17, 09:14 PM   #5
Inactive User

Had a very quick look at his car today. Forgot to mention that he thought he saw something plastic looking on the road after he heard the popping sound. I noticed that the alternator belt was loose and lo and behold there's no pulley on the end of the shaft just something that could possibly have been a retaining ring! I know assumption is the mother of all cock ups but I'm thinking maybe the faulty circuit warning had something to do with a signal loss from the alternator. Will take a pic of the Maxi fuses and wires as suggested by jimmymarsbar - maybe someone can tell me then what's been bodged.
Old 10-05-17, 06:32 AM   #6

I did initially think that the way you described how the car failed sounded like the battery was on the blink - normally the lights start going off left right and centre, then the power steering goes, then it's goodnight vienna.

So if the alternator pulley is missing or faulty, that all makes sense.

Old 10-05-17, 09:00 AM   #7
Inactive User

I did initially check battery voltage jimmymarsbar and it was 11.5v. Been to motorfactors but apparently there are 4 different alternators to choose from before I can buy a pulley so it's back to the car later today and check on model and serial number. Oh - and I'll take a couple of pics. Kids eh - they leave home and still rely on good old dad!
Old 10-05-17, 09:15 AM   #8

Battery should be 12V with the engine off, and 14V+ with the engine running. Anything less than 14V means the alternator isn't charging the battery, so it's likely this was the problem.

Old 10-05-17, 07:20 PM   #9
Inactive User

Bloody hell! Turns out that the pulley is a "clutch" type and costs over 60! However the motor factors that I use can't tell me which pulley I need to buy because I don't have the OEM number of the original even though I gave them the number off the alternator which is 9646321880. Might be off to a car breakers then.
Old 10-05-17, 07:37 PM   #10

A few members can find all your build details of the car if you add the vin number to your thread and ask. It might show you what you need to know. Might be better to start a new thread with the request.
madbadandold is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in