Stop faulty braking system - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-17, 11:10 AM   #1

Default Stop faulty braking system

This morning my 307 refused to start, and it's very, very weird.

Some symptoms that I've noticed:
  • Computer has been reset, date is 1.1.2003. and language back to French.
  • Windows and wipers work, but they are extremely slow and sluggish like they have barely any power.
  • Music wont turn on at all.
  • Error message shown means "Stop faulty braking system" in English, and that's what it shows when I switch language to English.

This is what it happens when I try to start it: drive.google.com/open?id=1VtQ2VwF1bASh0jU-Plyzczwaxp59O-okmg

So, I get the brakes failing warning (despite brakes seemingly working perfectly fine), and when I try to ignite the car makes some strange whirring noise and nothing happens except dinging sounds. I really don't think this is an actual brake issue, it looks like faulty electronics preventing ignition as some safety feature?

Is there any way to override this? I just want to drive to the nearest mechanic instead of towing it.
davorzdralo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-17, 11:24 AM   #2

Sounds like a battery problem. Common at this time of year and throws up all manner of error messages as the sensors and car's ECU isn't getting the full 12v.
Old 06-10-17, 11:35 AM   #3

Sounds like a battery problem to me too. The whirring noise could be the ABS pump, mine siezed and gave an ABS error.

Old 06-10-17, 02:56 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I just changed the battery and it started up right away. Who programmed this ECU, I'd like to kick his ass. As a programmer myself, giving users an incorrect message is a cardinal sin.

Last edited by Beau; 06-10-17 at 05:16 PM. Reason: bad language.
Old 06-10-17, 06:46 PM   #5

The French, what did you expect?
madbadandold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-17, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorzdralo View Post
Thanks guys, I just changed the battery and it started up right away. Who programmed this ECU, I'd like to kick his ass. As a programmer myself, giving users an incorrect message is a cardinal sin.
It didn't show an incorrect message. As per Gibbo's response, when the battery capacity ran low the ABS ECU was unable to work correctly and so the error message was correct. Yours was possibly in a minority because usually, several ECU's are unable to work correctly and in my instance of a failing battery had lots of warning lights and messages show up and a shed full of error codes stored. Everyone of them was a false error but at the same time they were correct errors because the ecu's were unable to function.

As for kicking the programmer and yourself being a programmer, I would suspect you have far more storage for your software and error checking routines along with any messages than the BSI has so the programmers have a limited amount of space in which to pack the error messages. If they had unlimited storage I've no doubt they could have the system check for every possibility instead of in a lot of cases have to use a generic, all encompassing message. I highly doubt you could do any better regardless of how good you are at programming.
noddy-hol likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-17, 08:15 PM   #7

Any half decent programmer should know that ANY sort of power fluctuation while programming can result in all sorts of errors/corruption, and takes steps, like using a decent UPS, to ensure a constant supply of power.
How do you think the poor ECU/BSI in your car feels when YOU allow it to be starved of it's life supply? AND then you blame someone else for it for falling short...
storeman likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-17, 08:41 PM   #8

A good battery is crucial to the cars systems..as many have found out..it seems to be a forgoten item to check first for some reason?
storeman likes this.
noddy-hol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-17, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
Any half decent programmer should know that ANY sort of power fluctuation while programming can result in all sorts of errors/corruption, and takes steps, like using a decent UPS, to ensure a constant supply of power.
How do you think the poor ECU/BSI in your car feels when YOU allow it to be starved of it's life supply? AND then you blame someone else for it for falling short...
That is a complete nonsense. Spewing out random garbage instead of warning that battery is low is completely and utterly unacceptable behaviour. Imagine if your laptop warned you that your hard drive is failing when your battery was running low. Absolutely moronic.
madbadandold likes this.
Old 07-10-17, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
A good battery is crucial to the cars systems..as many have found out..it seems to be a forgoten item to check first for some reason?
Maybe because 307 has a battery warning light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in