Steering rack - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IanML

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-18, 07:08 PM   #1

Default Steering rack

My 307 1.4 HDi 2002 has a leaking rack into one of the boots and has play at that track rod so I need a new/replacement rack. I contacted a local motor factors and they advised me that the rack fitted can be either a TRW or Mando make. Now I have a copy of the build details but it does not mention what rack is fitted. Does anybody know how to tell which make is fitted or how to define the item whilst on the car as I want to order one.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-06-18, 11:10 AM   #2

If the factors keep both in stock you could simply take the old rack to them, I'm assuming it's an exchange rack, not a new one?.
Or have them supply both and take the incorrect one back.

Roger.
Old 22-06-18, 06:14 PM   #3

Not so easy. I am going to get a garage to do it as it needs the subframe dropping at the back to get it out and lying under the car with the subframe lowered does not leave a lot of room to move even if I use my extra high car ramps and or axle stands. They will be recondition units but it would mean shelving out two lots of cash plus exchange fee plus I need to have the correct rack in hand to hand to the garage. What would be the difference between them anyway?
There is a recon one on ebay which assures me that it is the correct one, if you believe the compatibility charts but they are not very reliable are they, but does not mention the make. It is from a firm in Bristol. I could try phoning the stealers but I doubt they would tell me if I do not intend to buy from them!

Old 22-06-18, 06:31 PM   #4

Can you contact the Ebay seller and ask? They probably know more than the stealers.

If you can find a copy of the Haynes book it might help to identify which rack you have.
Old 22-06-18, 06:37 PM   #5

Brilec I have and it does not! I already phoned the seller yesterday and the lady promised to get back to me but has not bothered!!
Old 22-06-18, 07:42 PM   #6

Ebays compatibility charts are compiled BY ebay and are at best rubbish in some cases total bollox

You may well find that if replacing the whole rack it wont matter as the racks are interchangeable anyway its just like the different brakes either fits if your fitting the whole lot.
Old 23-06-18, 08:47 AM   #7

If you are having a garage do the work why don't you get them to supply the rack?.
I bet what they quoted you took into account the fact they wouldn't have any mark-up profit on the rack, so they quoted accordingly.
Certainly that happened at every garage where I've worked.
Also it is infuriating when customers supply the wrong part, which might not come to light until some work has already been done.

Roger.
Old 23-06-18, 04:33 PM   #8

Reliable 406 thanks for the rack info. I thought they would be all fitable as a unit so I can only think the people the motor factor is contacting has asked for like for like for some reason.
rustyroger The garage I use are a family outfit with very few staff and I generally get the spares for them as it saves them time and money if they have the spare to hand I find. I always ensure I get the correct part though. But thanks for your input.
Old 23-06-18, 10:41 PM   #9

I've just checked in the Service Box, and all the RHD models I checked use the same 4000 ZP rack, regardless of age, which seems to confirm that the manufacturer is irrelevant, i.e. they are interchangeable.
madbadandold likes this.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in