Starter not cranking - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-19, 03:19 PM   #1

Default Starter not cranking

Hello

Recently I have had this issue with my '03 307 with 1.6 gas engine. Some time ago when I shut my car off, it wouldn't start anymore. All the lights on the dashboard would light up as regular, but when I turn the key into crank position the starter won't crank at all. There arent any clicking noise or any noises whatsoever when the key is in the crank position. The dashboard lights would turn off as they have to when you crank the engine. So I got my car towed home nad next morning when I was about to get it towed to the garage, it started nicely with a turn of the key. A few months later, the issue ocurred again. This time I push started the car and it was running fine again for a day. Now today the car won't crank again. I can get it running by push starting it but the starter is not working even after I have push started the car. Here is a video of the fault: youtu.be/lKcUpW-6JFI
What could be causing this and how could I fix it?
Erictaavet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-19, 03:27 PM   #2

Can you see your starter motor?

Try giving bit a light tap with a hammer, could possibly be sticky...

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-19, 03:29 PM   #3

Sounds like your starter has worn out they tend to work then not before giving up completely but could be a bad earth cable between engine and body check this first if its fine you most likely need a new starter only other thing that could cause it is ignition switch if its a mk1 model but thats harder to check.

Old 11-04-19, 04:52 PM   #4

Is it worth getting the starter repaired? Or are the results not that good?
Old 11-04-19, 04:54 PM   #5

Yes they are common enough starters so are easily repaired but you need to be sure it is the starter before removing it.
Old 11-04-19, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Yes they are common enough starters so are easily repaired but you need to be sure it is the starter before removing it.
So before removing the starter to get it serviced, I should check the starter ground? Howelse could I pinpoint the failure?
Old 11-04-19, 06:51 PM   #7

Some peugeots have a fused starter circuit, check fuses in the engine bay fuse box.
To check for bad earth, put jumper cable between battery - and a good point on the engine/gearbox or even directly to the starter body.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-19, 07:49 PM   #8

I knocked the starter a few times with a metal rod. After knocking the starter, when I turned the key, the engine turned over many times slowly until all electrics went dark and a beeping sound played which I had heard before. I released the key from the crank position and then all the lights lit up again. Then I cranked again, this time it went slower. Currently, I left the car battery charging overnight and I will try to start the car again in the morning. I was thinking whether it could be possible that some current is leaking from somewhere around the starter hence the slow cranking I experienced.
Old 12-04-19, 05:18 AM   #9

Sounds like you have either a failed battery or alternator fault and battery is not charging

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-19, 06:51 PM   #10

I had the same problem some time ago. I changed the starter and still had the same thing. My fault turned out to be corrosion in the fuse box. I cleaned it up and it's been fine since.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in