Socket size for removing 1.6 hdi fuel rail pressure sensor - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-10-18, 03:21 PM   #1

Default Socket size for removing 1.6 hdi fuel rail pressure sensor

Can anyone advise on the across flat dimension of a fuel rail sensor on thev1.6 hdi. It seens around 19 or 20 mm, long reach probably. After much grubbing ariund i have located the sensor got the plug off but grrr no socket in my tool collection the right size! Need to get sensir out to idendify the part number.
Andy892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-18, 05:38 PM   #2

According to Peugeot the rail pressure is so high they don't sell them separate to prevent "normal" people from changing them. You have to buy the rail complete, or so I read.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-10-18, 05:59 PM   #3

Its a threaded item the sensor with a small copper washer to provide a seal. I fail to see, without sounding arrogant, what the problem is for anyone with a good understanding of engineering. I have changed them before on my previous Pug without problems. I must say the access is shocking and also add that to change a complete fuel rail would be a nightmare with the engine installed!

Regarding the socket size I have purchased a set of long reach, to fill a gap in my tool collection.

Many thanks for you response,

Old 15-10-18, 06:13 PM   #4

I know that but I am just stating Peugeots stand and so they will not sell you one. But it is high pressure and could cause serious injury or death. And of course not all people who wield spanners are competent!
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-10-18, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
I know that but I am just stating Peugeots stand and so they will not sell you one. But it is high pressure and could cause serious injury or death. And of course not all people who wield spanners are competent!
Think its the same as when you remove an injector pipe and break the original seal / crush it should be replaced

Never had a problem

I have a pressure sensor switch in stock as I saw the rail price (NO WAY)

When you have posh tools sometimes its a shame to use them in anger

I have always had a good selection of old britool / tipco as well as my old melco box spanners which I have cut and modified for tricky jobs like this
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-10-18, 04:52 PM   #6

Default Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 1.6hdi

OkJust for info! The socket needed is a 27 mm longreach type. My advice to anyone changing a sensor is follow advice as elswhere regarding access, battery, tray etc. Additionally dislodge fuel filter, tie it and adjacent cable loom upwards out of way. Use necessary extension to avoid battery tray support and engine earth, and remove electric plug from sensor, lift plastic tab upwards to unlock. Use socket to unscrew sensor. Because of limited access all this is quite difficult. Best to fit sensor using a length of plastic tube over electric connector , 18 mm id will push fit over ok, then manipulatation is easier to locate and start the thread. Tighten with socket, no need for a seal you will feel end of sensor compress a little on tightening with the socket. Besides the profile at the end of the sensor does not seem designed for a seal, which would drop off anyway if you tried to fit one.

Last edited by Andy892; 24-10-18 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typos and more info
Old 24-10-18, 05:35 PM   #7

Default Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 1.6hdi

Just for info! The socket needed is a 27 mm longreach type. My advise to anyone changing a sensor is follow advice as elswhere regarding access, battery, tray etc. Additionally dislodge fuel filter, tie it and adjacent cable loom upwards out of way. Use necessary extension to avoid battery tray support and engine earth, and reome electric plug from sensor, lift plastic tab upwards to unlock. Use socket to unscrew sensor. Because of limited access all this is quite difficult. Best to fit sensir using a length of plastic tube over electric connector , 18 mm id will push fit over ok, then manipulatation is easier to locate and start the thread.
Old 24-10-18, 05:41 PM   #8

Maybe the sensor is designed to be soft metal to crush and seal against the sealing seat within the manifold

Very nice update and info of tips and tricks
Really helps other forum users to decide if they have the correct tooling to do the job in hand
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-10-18, 07:52 PM   #9

The sensor does have a seal on it it is just a tiny washer but it does have a seal
Old 28-10-18, 10:12 AM   #10

Default The Saga of the 1.6hdi fuel rail pressure sensor seal cont'd

Very interesting you should say a seal is fitted as this is consitstent with posts elsewhere, one mentioned a communiication with Peugeot and a corrected spares diagram to show the seal. However to add to this debate: when I ordered the new sensor, from a local spares shop, the assistant said there where two part numbers shown on his computer, one for sensor with a seal the other without. So I ordered the one with the seal. However it came with out a seal, and the assistent gave me a small copper washer from his stock instead. After contemplating what to do and looking at the profile of the sensor end I took the decision that it was not suitable for a washer. To check that a washer was not already incorporated into the sensor end I even used a watchmakers lens to examine the end and I can categorically say that on my sensor there was not a seal. I fitted the sensor, without the copper washer, as it would have to be glued on the sensor end to avoid it falling off during fitment. The sensor end and its thread had a very bronze coloured appearance which could signify some softeness in material and also explain why I felt a deformation on tightening.

All a bit of a puzzle, the old sensor did not have a seal either, but it could have dropped off during removal, there was no sign of one on the remaining in the fuel rail, even took a photo and expanded the image to check! So a real puzzler this one!

Last edited by Andy892; 28-10-18 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in