Snapped Glow Plug.... arghhh - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-01-13, 08:30 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Snapped Glow Plug.... arghhh

Trying to extract the glow plug from my 307 1.4 and the thing snapped off, leaving the last inch still in the car....

Do you know of any tricks to get the thing out (other than take the head off....)

Do you think if I take out the injector to that pot, will it be big enough to send a magnetic pick up tool down, then tap the glow plug piece through and collect it..?

Or

Put an air line into the injector port, ensure the valves are closed and blast air into it to dislodge the glow plug piece. I may need to tap & use release oil on it as the air is blowing.

Any ideas.....
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-13, 06:19 PM   #2
Inactive User

I would go with the telescopic magnet through the injector hole or one of those bendy ones that has the little grabber claws on it.
Good idea
Old 01-02-13, 06:20 PM   #3
Inactive User

Actually, will the injector be magnetic?

Old 01-02-13, 07:41 PM   #4

You will not get it out that way as the end of the glowplug is longer than you think and if you tap it into the cylinder it will be stuck there and you WILL need to remove the head

This is why i do not replace modern glowplugs as they always seem to break !!

As for getting it out if it really is just the end ie the glow bit then running the engine will most likely force it out just stand well clear
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-13, 08:15 PM   #5
Inactive User

Really had a game with a broken glow plug on my HDI, and that was with head off. Im told its important to warm up the engine well prior to even thinking about removing them, as everything expands and once the plugs done its heating cycle, it should cool and give a little play. The fact is, there going to be in close proximity (The heater plug and Injector) but deep down, and all but inaccessable. How much of the plug do you think remains in the head??.
philip clark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-13, 09:50 PM   #6

I'd go with reliable406's suggestion and try cranking the engine and hope the compression in the cylinder forces it out.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-13, 07:57 AM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies

There is just short of an inch of tip left in the head.

The engine was cold when i took them off, but i had to remove lots of bits to get to the plugs in the first place

I assume i would have to replace most of the pieces before cranking the engine - the plugs are also at the back, so if it fires out, there is a chance it will hit the windscreen

I'll try the compressed air method later on
Old 02-02-13, 08:21 AM   #8
davidireland

Default Re: Snapped Glow Plug.... arghhh

Knock it into the cylinder. Remove that injector and fish it out with something. Something small and magnetic preferably.

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-13, 06:58 PM   #9
Inactive User

Tried everything with no joy. The compressed air didn't buge it and i couldn't even budge it by tapping it into the chamber. I suspect i will be only able to get to it by taking the head off.

I'm assuming that its probably a faulty glowplug which has carboned itself up over time and effectively seized itself to the engine.

I heard that using coke or vinegar can disolve carbon deposits - i wonder if that will shift it.

Wish me luck......
Old 02-02-13, 07:06 PM   #10

carb cleaner down the hole left to soak then run it as i say thats how i get stuck injectors out and it nearly always works

If your worried about it coming out like a missile then put something over the engine piece of plywood or similar should suffice it wont have that much force behind it as the gasses stop pushing it pretty quick
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in