Risk of filter blocking / Fuel cap still open ? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-18, 05:15 PM   #1

Default Risk of filter blocking / Fuel cap still open ?

Hi,

I have just purchased a 307 1.6 HDI (2008),
yesterday whilst doing about 75mph the Emission control system warning light came on the dashboard along with the Service warning light.

On the the centre information console i had the message 'Risk of filter blocking - anti pollution warning'

I slowed down to 50mph and after a few minutes the warning lights disappeared.

I have also noticed that i am getting 'Fuel cap still open' message as well.

Does anyone know why this would happen or what it may indicate ?

Thanks in advance
307_owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-18, 05:36 PM   #2

fuel cap open means your cap magnets are lost or sensor is faulty and this in turn will cause the DPF not to regen leading to the other messages.

DO NOT ignore it start by checking the cap for 2 magnets then the wiring on the sensor but if you bought it from a garage take it back.
Old 28-05-18, 05:37 PM   #3

The DPF is possibly blocked, I have the same car and had the same warning, unfortunately I had to overtake a slow old bus going up steep hill, pushed the engine to the limit and ended up damaging the turbo, garage said it was due to excessive back pressure from the DPF that caused the damage. I have just repaired the turbo and fitted a new DPF myself. Parts cost 200 for DPF and 75 for new turbo core.

Suggest you get the DPF looked at and cleaned.

Garage would charge a lot more as they would not repair a turbo, and the man hours would be enormous. The DPF has a set of sensor pipes which are a pig to undo, normally get damaged by removal as the union nuts round off and a new pair are fitted by a garage when this happens, adding another 80:to the parts bill.

Last edited by Andy892; 28-05-18 at 05:43 PM.
Andy892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-05-18, 06:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
fuel cap open means your cap magnets are lost or sensor is faulty and this in turn will cause the DPF not to regen leading to the other messages.

DO NOT ignore it start by checking the cap for 2 magnets then the wiring on the sensor but if you bought it from a garage take it back.
OK, thanks for the replies, i have taken a photo of my fuel cap, can you tell me where to look for the magnets please ?

img_20180528_184437.jpg
Old 28-05-18, 06:27 PM   #5

The magnet is the rectangular lighter colour bit you can see just above the writing. There should be one on the opposite side as well. I would say it's now likely the the fuel cap sensor is at fault, quite common. But if you've just bought the car and it wasn't a private sale then just take it back and either get your money back or allow them to fix it. They are responsible for any fault that you weren't made aware of at the time of sale, up until 6 months after the sale. Follow reliable406's advice. The only driving you should do is back to the seller. If not then a quick session on Peugeot Planet/Diagbox (see members map), will confirm the issue. Also, if the car has done 110k miles or more then the warning about the risk of blocking will come up whether or not the system is working well, it's a DPF age thing and can be reset IF all the other bits needed to do a regen are working OK.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-05-18, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
The magnet is the rectangular lighter colour bit you can see just above the writing. There should be one on the opposite side as well. I would say it's now likely the the fuel cap sensor is at fault, quite common. But if you've just bought the car and it wasn't a private sale then just take it back and either get your money back or allow them to fix it. They are responsible for any fault that you weren't made aware of at the time of sale, up until 6 months after the sale. Follow reliable406's advice. The only driving you should do is back to the seller. If not then a quick session on Peugeot Planet/Diagbox (see members map), will confirm the issue. Also, if the car has done 110k miles or more then the warning about the risk of blocking will come up whether or not the system is working well, it's a DPF age thing and can be reset IF all the other bits needed to do a regen are working OK.
Thanks for replying, I have checked the magnets and they are both present.
I'm afraid I got it from a car auction so it was sold as seen am afraid.
The car has done 124k miles it looked to be in really good condition and had full service history.
The only advisory on the MOT was rear discs wearing thin, but these had been done (and pads) prior to me buying it.
As soon as I drove out of the auctions in it I had the ABS Fault message flash up, I guess because the ABS sensors had been disturbed ?

I will see if someone local has a Peugeot Planet/Diagbox to confirm the issues.
Old 28-05-18, 07:08 PM   #7

The ABS has come up because there is a problem with the system. What happens is once a certain speed is attained, about 5mph, the ABS computer checks the system and if a fault is present it will tell you. The opposite happens when you fix the fault. That is, as soon as the trigger speed is reached and if the fault was fixed then the ABS message will delete. Now since somebody has been playing with the rears it makes sense to have a look at them as the sensors can cause problems due rust build up under them. But the best way to see which sensor is causing the fault is with planet plugged in with live data selected and drive the car. You can then see which wheel is mis-behaving!
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-05-18, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
The ABS has come up because there is a problem with the system. What happens is once a certain speed is attained, about 5mph, the ABS computer checks the system and if a fault is present it will tell you. The opposite happens when you fix the fault. That is, as soon as the trigger speed is reached and if the fault was fixed then the ABS message will delete. Now since somebody has been playing with the rears it makes sense to have a look at them as the sensors can cause problems due rust build up under them. But the best way to see which sensor is causing the fault is with planet plugged in with live data selected and drive the car. You can then see which wheel is mis-behaving!
Thanks for the reply, i'll see if i can get a planet plugged in to verify
Old 28-05-18, 09:01 PM   #9

When you get it plugged in dont just look for fault codes you need to go into the DPF parameters and read actual data for fluid levels you can also test the cap sensor in there the computer can do most of the work IF you use it properly

You need a working cap sensor a decent level of fluid in the tank and a clear not blocked DPF the DPF can be washed out if clogged then you need to lie to the system and tell it it has a new one

This is why most people think its easier to delete it but i dont believe its really worth deleting once serviced properly its good for 100k miles.

As for whether its really worth having thats a whole different question im not convinced they are worthwhile in real terms !
madbadandold and 307_owner like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in