Rear wheel bearing - disc too? ? Seriously??? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-13, 12:31 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Rear wheel bearing - disc too? ? Seriously???

Hello all

I need to change my rear nearside wheel bearing, its not great. I was initially quoted 115 which I was ok with but then was called back saying my model of 307 (54 plate SW HDi XSi 136bhp) had to have the disc changed with it, therefore both sides and pads which was going to be insane money!

Does anyone know if JUST the bearing can be changed? The rear discs arent that old and have plenty of life left in them yet. Im on a real budget here.

I have found rear wheel bearings just as a bearing kit for the model of my 307 on ebay at about 30-60. Does this ring any bells with anyone? I just cant justify so much money to be spent on something that doesnt need doing for a long time if the bearing can be replaced for so little!
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-13, 09:23 AM   #2

depends if the bearing is built into the hub. do you know if this is the case or if the bearing is in the actual disc?
monty9120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-13, 10:03 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwell View Post
Hello all

I need to change my rear nearside wheel bearing, its not great. I was initially quoted 115 which I was ok with but then was called back saying my model of 307 (54 plate SW HDi XSi 136bhp) had to have the disc changed with it, therefore both sides and pads which was going to be insane money!

Does anyone know if JUST the bearing can be changed? The rear discs arent that old and have plenty of life left in them yet. Im on a real budget here.

I have found rear wheel bearings just as a bearing kit for the model of my 307 on ebay at about 30-60. Does this ring any bells with anyone? I just cant justify so much money to be spent on something that doesnt need doing for a long time if the bearing can be replaced for so little!
Euro Car Parts are doing bearing kits for 47.99 for your car, put in their current promo code (ALL20) and you'll get 20% off - works out 38.39 total.
Pan24v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 20-01-13, 04:34 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan24v View Post
Euro Car Parts are doing bearing kits for 47.99 for your car, put in their current promo code (ALL20) and you'll get 20% off - works out 38.39 total.
1367 CITROEN C4, PEUGEOT 207 & 307 REAR WHEEL HUB BEARING KIT | eBay

19.99 there, and if its a press fit bray the old one out and press the new on in with a vice and wood blocks OR a bottle jack between 2 solid walls and wood blocks. Sorted
Old 20-01-13, 09:04 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks Sandman, that looks like its the non abs type though? Mine has ABS.

Monty - im not sure, the wheel bolts directly to the disc and hub. The hub and disc are all in 1 it seems, there is a cap to the hub which looks like the ebay link that Sandman has given.. and I know its a Lucas caliper (therefore Lucas) hub/disc?

Im really confused. Id really much rather replace the bearing if thats all that really needs doing... Im not happy taking the hub apart to check if it means I cant drive it the next day. I rely on my car more than anything each day :S
Old 20-01-13, 09:07 PM   #6
Inactive User

Looks a lot like this, when the wheels off!

PEUGEOT 307 SW ESTATE 2001-2005 PASSENGER SIDE REAR WHEEL BEARING HUB | eBay
Old 21-01-13, 06:10 AM   #7
Inactive User

Hey guys

ok so ive figured out which part/parts i need to replace. im either going for the bearing aline (cheapest bt maybe more fiddly?) or the disc and pads with bearing set.

now, im not the worlds greatest mechanic, i can do enough but would really benefit from advice from someone on here whos done the same work. how would i remove the bearing? How would i remove the disc/hub? My friends who do mechanics dont seem to want to help me
Old 21-01-13, 07:48 AM   #8

you firstly need a rewind tool for the rear brakes if there discs

if its anything like a normal 307. you undo the wheel undo the caliper and then theres 2 torx screws holding the disc to the hub.

once off you undo the cap which will show the nut with the bearing behind it.

i have never tried to get one off before but being a complete unit you dont need to press the bearing in as its already in the hub

the hub nut will be very very tight. so im not sure if the right tools are avaliable. a very decent zip gun should do the job
monty9120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-01-13, 08:29 AM   #9
Inactive User

Thank you Monty, thats excellent help! It sounds a lot easier to replace the complete unit than just the bearing alone. thats a great help!
Old 21-01-13, 07:35 PM   #10
Inactive User

When you've done let us know how you got on
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in