Radiator fan not running - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mr Lee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-19, 06:58 PM   #1

Default Radiator fan not running

Hi. I have a 2004 307 2.0 petrol car and the fan hasn't come on in quite some time. As long is I'm driving the system cools just fine but getting stuck in traffic the temp needle starts climbing. I haven't had it go past 110 yet but because the rad fan never kicks in I feel cautious about driving during rush hours.

I've read through the related threads in the forum where a lot of answers to similar problems state that the engine needs to get really hot before the rad fan should kick in but I've never driven another car that displays this behavior so my conclusion is that something is wrong.

I've had PP on it and activated both fan speeds through that so the relays should be fine. I don't have the layout with separate temp sensors and dual relays but rather the combined fan control unit with a large 2 way blade contact in the bottom and 4 small connections at the top. On the back it has a large coil (connected to one of the blade pins) and what looks like a resistor which looks a little corroded but I guess that the unit also houses the relays and fan ECU? Can this ECU be diagnosed with PP?

Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for this configuration? My Haynes book only shows the one with separate relays and temp sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l500.jpg  

Last edited by ozvk; 01-05-19 at 07:05 PM.
ozvk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-19, 08:16 PM   #2

If both fan speeds are working when you activate the fan with Planet it means that resistor is working ok.

Could be a failing coolant temp sensor - engine cold then try unplugging it then switch the ignition ON - The fan should run at full speed.
Gibbo and ozvk like this.
Old 01-05-19, 08:49 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

Just to be clear: The fan should come on with just the ignition on, I don't have to have the engine running? Not a native English speaker so I'm not sure if there's ambiguity in these expressions.

Old 02-05-19, 08:16 PM   #4

Probably you have nothing to worry about. To check it out simply let the engine run with the car stationary until either the fan does cut in or the temperature gauge goes into the red. I'd put my money on the fan cutting in.

Roger.
Old 08-07-19, 10:09 PM   #5

So, I did test by unplugging the temp sensor and the gauge maxed out and the rad fan kicked in so that does indeed still function properly.

Since we are having warmer days here now I have also noticed the AC not working well. Even setting to the coldest temperature does not start the rad fan (which should trigger by an active AC system as I understand). Maybe it is a related issue?

Could all this just be due to poor cooling performance in the radiator? Any specific diagnostics I should run in PP or is flushing the engine coolant the way to go here to try and restore it?

I should mention that ever since I bought the car 5 years ago the coolant temperature stabilizes around 80C which always seemed odd since 90 is at the center of the dashboard indicator. Maybe thermostat issue?

Thanks for all suggestions and ideas!
Old 09-07-19, 11:35 AM   #6

Coolant flush and thermostat replacement would be my guess.

My 2L 206 diesel never gets overly hot. It stays at a constant 80, creeping to 90 when stood. Even when I did the coolant change the fans wouldn't kick in unless I put a brick on the accelerator pedal to make it run at 1500 rpm.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in