Pug 307 battery / starter motor issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IanML
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-06-16, 04:00 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Pug 307 battery / starter motor issues

Hey all, hoping someone could advise here.

Last weekend I used the wife's 2002 1.4 HDI 307 to try and jump start a car which was not starting and never did. I did at the time have no issues with the pug whatsoever.
The few days following this attempted jump start we were having problems starting the 307: it would make a weak starter motor effort a couple of times then suddenly just burst into life as if there was no problem in the first place.
Now the car had been sat for a week and will not turn over at all. I hear a click from the starter motor and have a voltage of around 7 on the battery. I have also tried jump starting the pug from another car with no success

We managed to push start the pug today with no problems.

Is it worth charging the battery or should I be looking at the starter?

Cheers.
oods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-06-16, 04:22 PM   #2

If you only have 7 volts at the battery, it either needs charging or replacing. You should read about 12.5 V without the engine running.

The first thing people do is buy a new battery, but it may not be necessary. The alternator may be the cause. If it is not working, the battery will run down. A good battery shop will be able to charge it and do a discharge test to check whether it needs to be replaced.

If it takes a charge and you get the engine started, then measure the voltage - it should be about 14 to 14.5. If not the problem is your alternator.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-06-16, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks Ian, I'm fairly certain it's the battery as there were no issues before I tried using it to jump the other car. Alternator and starter were absolutely fine too. I will try a battery out of my car and see if that makes a difference, not sure it will tho as I've already tried jumping off said battery? Is there a difference between jumping off a good battery and INSTALLING the good battery?

Old 19-06-16, 08:06 PM   #4

When you are jumping, you have both batteries in parallel, and the "donor" car's alternator churning out amps as well. I guess that alternator compensates somewhat for a bad battery, but not, perhaps, fully.

Perhaps your battery was on the point of failure, and it was coincidence that the last good thing it did was rescue another car.

Word of warning. Peugeots require a special routine (I've seen it called the hokey-cokey) when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Failure to follow the steps can scramble the software in the BSI, or even damage it.
Peugeot BSi reboot procedure
oods likes this.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-06-16, 10:01 PM   #5

Sounds like the extra load was too much for your battery replace it and you will be fine again but it might be a bad terminal connection which was made worse by the extra load its more likely to be the battery has had enough though.
oods likes this.
Old 20-06-16, 09:08 AM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks guys, I'll be trying a different battery tomorrow hopefully time permitting so will report back here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in